Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can make a comment on any game's balance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Melee, 3S, and MvC1 have objectively worse balance than MvC2.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
sorry let me rephrase

to make a comment on balance that anybody will give a poo poo about

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

General Morden posted:

sorry let me rephrase

to make a comment on balance that anybody will give a poo poo about

Baal posted:

I can make a comment on any game's balance

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
you're no punk rebel ecks that's for sure

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

What's a tool that potemkin could have to make his matchups less bad, like maybe shoot for half as bad just to be extra sure you're not rocking the boat?
would letting potemkin dash around do the trick or make him too good? i know i'd play him a lot more if he had movement.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

The game does not resemble what it used to be, and that's a very, very good thing. It's very good now, and I feel like if the game launched in this state then it'd have a gigantic following instead of being Biggest Side Game contender.

otoh the game wouldn't have launched in its current state because the asset refinements were the result of what essentially amounted to a three year long early access campaign

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Real hurthling! posted:

What's a tool that potemkin could have to make his matchups less bad, like maybe shoot for half as bad just to be extra sure you're not rocking the boat?
would letting potemkin dash around do the trick or make him too good? i know i'd play him a lot more if he had movement.

Give him Sentinel flight and he'd become top tier

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

AnonSpore posted:

Let's just say Pachi hates grapplers too

Real hurthling! posted:

It's mostly the little things. I'm just rattling off half remembered stuff said on streams but the usual statements from Pot mains are giving him vortex on 2.S, more special cancelable normals, actually getting usable knockdown from Heat Knuckle, or increasing the attack level of stuff like megafist so he doesn't get punished for hitting people.

I don't know why people get hung up on him not being able to dash and some people get really weird about it (kinda like that Terumi incident above, people thinking he doesn't 'deserve' to be in the game).

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 14, 2016

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Broken Loose posted:

SG2E is the most balanced fighter in existence, and I do not say that lightly. I have played a shitload of games extensively, and it is not an example of things done normally. It didn't reach that state of balance easily, and I'm of the belief that the game is less balanced than most people claim it to be (I think the game has 3 tiers instead of 2).

The trick is that every character has the options necessary to make them function on a basic level. The problem with Xrd Pot is very much like the problem with MvC3 Thor-- he lacks basic things (like good movement) that the rest of the cast has, but the developers "make this up to him" by giving him higher stats so he can make more mistakes. I commonly use Thor vs. Phoenix as the platonic ideal of why HP-balancing characters is a fundamentally flawed concept, because Phoenix already has 1HP and no amount of additional HP would make Thor win the matchup. In Potemkin's case, it's a bit more insulting, because he had a shitload of options in AC+R that were removed because Xrd was trying to roll things back to #Reload for nostalgia reasons and also Mori hates grapplers.

MvC2 is a weird case. On the surface, the game looks like it has the worst balance ever, but true MvC2 is functionally a different game with way better balance. There is no excuse for developer time wasted on characters who aren't meant to be fair, but once you cut 35 or so dudes from the cast you end up with a pretty decent game! Additionally, the game was the first Vs. game where teams had more individuality than characters, and thus team vs. team matchups mattered moreso than character vs. character matchups.

ST and Xrd, games which have really poor balance objectively, make up for this by making characters interesting and fun to explore and execute. There's poo poo like unblockable loops from Elphelt and Zato, but outside of Pot each player feels rewarding and their options are a sandbox of interesting tricks instead of an uphill struggle or reflection of everybody else. The opposite of this is MK9, where it's clear that NRS doesn't know how to make characters from scratch, and everybody has the same normals and the same zoning (even Freddy loving Krueger has to wear 2 gloves instead of 1 and throws his gloves like fireballs). ST's cast is wildly varied in playstyle for the most part, and that adds to the awesome feel of Street Fighter 2 by letting players identify with characters more intimately and making each character feel like you're playing a different game.

Back to Skullgirls, there's examples of both the good parts and the bad parts of what I've mentioned in it. The game has 3 tiers (Amazing, Great, and Redundant) with only a single character in the third tier and the first 2 being split rather evenly. The characters are each designed from the ground-up with the question asked, "How would this character handle this?" with the answer being anything but "They don't, but we'll adjust their stats to compensate." Cerebella scared the poo poo out of people who came from other games because she's a grappler with great options and great movement. Fortune has tradeoffs for being a puppet character that go beyond something like having reduced HP (when the puppet is out, her hitboxes and invulnerable options are less scary). Big Band is Q but with great movement, great hitboxes, Slide Head, a great reversal, and Juggernaut Head Crush. When you pick up these characters, it's like picking up a GG or ST character, and exploring what they can do is rewarding while letting players express their own creativity and individuality within the confines of the game's sandbox. The opposite of this is Filia, who often struggles with bad hitbox issues, character redundancy (her strength is iad mixups and half the cast has those), and purposely designed bad neutral, which makes her players spend more time compensating for her flaws than pioneering cool things for her to do.

Are these the results of layers of overlapping universal systems like those in AC+R? No, but it is possible (and Third Strike demonstrates) that you can use universal systems to ensure that each character in the cast is technically viable. It's not perfect, but the same type of mindset that allows everybody to be good from universal stuff is generally the same type of developer mindset that's willing to give more characters options to handle troublesome matchups.

you are a complete self parody at this point

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

General Morden posted:

you're no punk rebel ecks that's for sure

Few people are as enlightened as I am. I thank you for your praise.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Baal posted:

Give him Sentinel flight and he'd become top tier

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

+r 2s and heat knuckle

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

Making forward megafist not suck balls would turn Pote vs Axl from 2-8 to like, 3.5-6.5 probably (or 3-7 to 4-6 depending on whose metric you go by). I'm talking mainly like, give him a combo of some sort on CH for free. Floor bounce (into sj.P K S ICPM or even just Heat) would be great, stagger would potentially be even better (closer range PB, or long range 2K 2D at the very least).

VS Sin they just straight up need to nerf Beak Driver, there's not much about Potemkin you can change to fix how stupidly broken that move is on everyone. Buff some of Sin's other stuff to make up for it of course.

Another big problem in general is that FDB Reflect portion sucks complete poo poo in Xrd series, because even though they made the reflect window HUGE in this game, literally all people have to do to stop you from flicking something is hit YRC and gratz you just ate a huge combo instead. They could potentially fix this by nerfing the effect of YRC slow/stop, but a better improvement might be to make the Reflect range a lot better (it's super duper tiny in reality). Oh, and for no reason it doesn't reflect supers at all in Xrd series, which is a big fat :wtc: considering it makes a bunch of matchups (Sin and Venom) significantly harder than they should be.
On top of all that, the actual shockwave from the reflect is pretty bad, most characters don't even have to respect it. Too small of a hitbox, not enough damage, doesn't even travel more than half screen distance, etc.

Both of his super are also bad for non-combo purposes. Giganter is slower this time around and has a worse hitbox, it's actually so slow you can YRC and block it on reaction. It's also only invuln until active, meaning it will frequently trade, and it's only +0 on block now (instead of what, +8 it used to be) which is so bad it means many characters can just IB and punish you on reaction. Oh, and on top of all that, Bullet longer wallbounces at midscreen, and it doesn't launch them high enough on ground combo into the corner to get anything. Sure does stun in corner combos though, where he really doesn't need any more help!
They really need to make the startup closer to something like, 5+2, invuln into the second active frame. He doesn't really need the midscreen bounce anymore, but he sure wouldn't mind having it.

Heavenly similarly is only invuln until the first active frame, so it just doesn't beat a whole lot. And the velocity is pretty slow even, it doesn't even combo in places where Heat does. Burst version doesn't change at all. You can use it to do the YRC invuln trick but ehhhhhhhhhhh. Give if a few more invuln frames and make the velocity much faster.

As far as other stuff goes, 6P is not great because it is neither JCable or special cancelable, if you do an AA and they block most characters can just punish it. The Hitbox is also not great for people who cross you up (neither is 2H for that matter). Could either make it higher guardstun or give it one of those other two things, either would be good.

5P I don't have a huge problem with but I think they should make 2P only 5F startup to make up for it.

Hammerfall/Heat issue, these moves are basically hosed because Hammerfall input takes priority over Heatknuckle, so if you were charging [4] in a combo and suddenly needed to hit a Heat, tough poo poo. They just need to flip the input priority on these.

6K, it's good but they should probably increase forward velocity to make midscreen combos more reliable. Like, ground combo into 6K is so strong but you just can't do it raw from anything other than like DP punishes for the most part.

E: Oh yeah forgot another bighuge one. c.S vs f.S is a huge trainwreck, because you need specific ones for specific combo setups and you have no control over which you get. c.S will frequently come out when it isn't in range, which means they probably need to adjust how close the activation distance is on it.

Things he absolutely does not need:

2S Vacuum, absolutely unneeded if they make 6K perform the role it's intended to.

AC Heat Drop. He has ICPM now which fulfills the same roll and is a lot more interesting.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 14, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah but why not give him flight

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

VS Sin they just straight up need to nerf Beak Driver, there's not much about Potemkin you can change to fix how stupidly broken that move is on everyone. Buff some of Sin's other stuff to make up for it of course.

It was strangely relieving going to locals and discovering literally everyone hates that move.

edit: How dumb are Sin mirrors?

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

3S balance best balance :boom:

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

TK icpm and it's safe on block hire me arcsys

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Make it so that on selecting Potemkin you have a random chance to just receive AC Potemkin instead

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
flick should have instant recovery if it hits a projectile. make far slash not garbage (the fact that it whiffs on characters he already has trouble with is just pointlessly dumb). buff forward megafist. 6p should be jump cancelable.

those i think are all he needs besides sin being a stupid piece of poo poo.

edit: oh yeah i agree with the close slash thing too, giving it a bigger hitbox isnt really going to cause any real problems imo so just make that bigger. i guess it can catch backdashes better but without 2s vacuum its not like thats a huge problem and that buff wont make him godly.

pot is a char that should basically err on the side of low tier at all times but it should by virtue of 4-6 matchups.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 14, 2016

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Is there literally any upside to proximity normals? Not even counting stupid poo poo like Pot's cl.S that whiffs in situations where f.S wouldn't have.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Broken Loose posted:

Is there literally any upside to proximity normals? Not even counting stupid poo poo like Pot's cl.S that whiffs in situations where f.S wouldn't have.

You can create moves with properties that would make them too strong if they could be done on command. Like Chun's b+HP in 3s would probably be pretty fair if it was a proximity normal.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How not to do proximity normals: Elphelt

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

How not to do proximity normals: Elphelt

*POP*

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Jmcrofts posted:

You can create moves with properties that would make them too strong if they could be done on command. Like Chun's b+HP in 3s would probably be pretty fair if it was a proximity normal.

Why? So you can't kara throw with it?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Why would you kara throw with back fierce

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

AnonSpore posted:

Why would you kara throw with back fierce

I confused it with HK.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Broken Loose posted:

The main issue related to c.S vs f.S is where would you even put it. The problem with Potemkin there is you need to either be charging or not charging depending on the situation with both c.S and f.S, so putting it on a direction screws with that. Like if f.S was 6S you couldn't be charging HF during pressure strings off it. I guess they could either make f.S optionally on 3S, or maybe make it a button hold thing (like Slayer's 6K wiff).

Also would be screwy if it were 6S because that would effect your ability to OS Throw. Like, every other button Potemkin has has a command normal on forward, S is the only one that doesn't.

As far as proximity wiffing issue, IIRC it's because proximity is checked entirely based on the X-axis, and Pote's c.S does not hit very high vertically where his f.S does, so in a lot of AA combo situations you actually just can't land a combo at all because of that.

The second part of the problem is with proximity in GG in general, it doesn't account for pushback, so what happens is you hit AA 5P 5S, and even though they are within range of a c.S when you hit the button, they move backwards out of range before it connects. This was super apparent in Xrd 1.0 when you couldn't even do CH 5H Hammerfall, because the Hammerfall would swing so early even though there was plenty enough hitstun and the move could travel even farther. Which they just fixed by making Hammerfall have a bigger hitbox.

anime was right posted:

flick should have instant recovery if it hits a projectile. make far slash not garbage (the fact that it whiffs on characters he already has trouble with is just pointlessly dumb). buff forward megafist. 6p should be jump cancelable.

those i think are all he needs besides sin being a stupid piece of poo poo.

edit: oh yeah i agree with the close slash thing too, giving it a bigger hitbox isnt really going to cause any real problems imo so just make that bigger. i guess it can catch backdashes better but without 2s vacuum its not like thats a huge problem and that buff wont make him godly.

pot is a char that should basically err on the side of low tier at all times but it should by virtue of 4-6 matchups.

Flick becomes fully invuln on successful flick, honestly that's enough. It doesn't have a lot of recovery anyway, and you can reversal off it into Hammerfall or whatever else, so it's pretty decent when you can actually flick something.

f.S missing on some crouching characters is annoying but that's one of those things that you can reasonably deal with for the most part. I think it doesn't bother me because it makes sense in the context of the move's animation. Making 2S a frame or two faster (to combo from 2P or 2K) would actually be a big help here though, since it's preferably to use in ground strings anyway.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

i just lost hella matches in a row, but was happy bc this TE2+ feels awesome and better than the other 3 sticks I own. fight sticks are the best and if u are on the fence, just try to find one. I might even sell my xbox360 ones that i love but are unlikely to be used any more :negative:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKvEsIYYcks

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKvEsIYYcks

Presenting Mai (with a new voice) and Antonio Banderas, Fake Ninja.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Booyah- posted:

i just lost hella matches in a row, but was happy bc this TE2+ feels awesome and better than the other 3 sticks I own. fight sticks are the best and if u are on the fence, just try to find one. I might even sell my xbox360 ones that i love but are unlikely to be used any more :negative:

My atrox broke recently and what broke can't be replaced. I might be in the market for a new stick for my PC if guile is a charge character.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

if guile is a charge character.
well they specifically said they made nash nothing like guile so it seems logical

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I hope they put in Guile with minimal changes to his kit, and when he's in V-trigger he puts on sunglasses and his booms are stronger or something.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
New thread with some new stuff coming in 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

And dota claims the life of another thread, not even of the same genre. rip fg thread iv

• Locked thread