Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Snowy posted:

E- drat I forgot how much this record kicks rear end. The guys voice is so good but reminds me of someone else the whole time, I just can’t think of who
Reminds me a lot of Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Supuration - The Cube (1993)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DHru9VYqZU

If you don't want to check out the whole album the title track is good.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I always liked yyrkoon's occult medicine

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This split is one of my favorite death metal records, this era is my jam

https://youtu.be/02-CjeFK7fU?si=xc3oeLzHIzfb5gv4

Somehow this split goes together with it for me, so good

https://youtu.be/FrSGnx1Edyg?si=Ugr_HrT7ebeXtiMf

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Opeth just announced their North America tour. I have never seen them although I would like to. Do they even play their old stuff anymore? I honestly might not go if it's just their newer stuff..

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Opeth just announced their North America tour. I have never seen them although I would like to. Do they even play their old stuff anymore? I honestly might not go if it's just their newer stuff..

Most recent setlist, from February of 2023:

Ghost of Perdition
Demon of the Fall
Eternal Rains Will Come
Under the Weeping Moon
Windowpane
Harvest
Black Rose Immortal
Burden
The Moor
The Devil's Orchard
Allting tar slut
Sorceress
Deliverance

So shockingly yes.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Oh gently caress ending with Deliverance, too? Thanks! Actually pretty hyped right now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's possible that tour was a deliberate throwback though idk. If your city is not in the first couple of stops I would wait and check setlist.fm to see what they're playing.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCx-qH1z6pU

this is my all-time favorite 90s death metal albums

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's possible that tour was a deliberate throwback though idk. If your city is not in the first couple of stops I would wait and check setlist.fm to see what they're playing.

Ooh good idea thanks, I was just about to get the tickets but I will do that. I doubt there are enough old people like me to sell out that concert, right?

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I think Opeth has been playing older stuff fairly regularly for a little while now. IIRC they had a brief period of only playing newer material but they seem to have eased back from that.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

They did some fans vote for the old songs thing. That's how they ended up doing Black Rose Immortal live.

There's some good videos of it on YouTube. Looks like fun.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
It's not like Opeth has new stuff. Latest album is almost 5 years old and no new one announced, which is shame.

Still I'm looking forward to seeing them in this year Tuska Festival.
Last time I saw them was back in -09 as opening act for Dream Theater.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I only saw them touring Watershed with Enslaved as the opener.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Last time I saw them live they just played lovely soft songs until the very end when they did Demon of the Fall.

I'm glad they are playing the older stuff. I can't get into their newer stuff at all.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Opeth has played a good mix of old and new every time I've seen them

Also they're consistently among my favorite shows, definitely go if you can

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Issaries posted:

It's not like Opeth has new stuff. Latest album is almost 5 years old and no new one announced, which is shame.

'New' Opeth is everything they've released since you last saw them, since they completely changed genre from Heritage and onwards.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Issaries posted:

I think people refer to 'new' Opeth as starting from Heritage where they are basically just boring Porcupine Tree copies or whatever idk I hardly listen to those albums.

Old Opeth definitely sounds very different and I regularly listen to those albums every now and again.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Last time I saw Opeth was in a seated coffee table type arrangement with Porcupine Tree and both bands played nothing but slow poo poo

And like the tables had candles for ambiance

It was loving awful

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCx-qH1z6pU

this is my all-time favorite 90s death metal albums

You know what is good 90s death metal?

https://youtu.be/3YXHLkvaH3A

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

stab posted:

Last time I saw Opeth was in a seated coffee table type arrangement with Porcupine Tree and both bands played nothing but slow poo poo

And like the tables had candles for ambiance

It was loving awful

I would blow my brains out jfc

Now I'm even more grateful for seeing PT at Radio City with Steven telling half the audience to "stand the gently caress up."

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
yeah years ago I could have seen Opeth but the venue was all seated with tables and I thought it would be lame as hell to watch an Opeth show like that

might try to catch this tour, black rose immortal live?? hell yes

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Its cool that Opeth just makes whatever the gently caress they want and truly does not give a gently caress about what fans think.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Its cool that Opeth just makes whatever the gently caress they want and truly does not give a gently caress about what fans think.

I agree, just saying like a lot of people that their new poo poo is mediocre as gently caress. It's very bland progrock with nothing that hasn't been done before. I like ackerfeldt and I am happy he's making stuff he loves but I am not listening to it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Monstaland posted:

I agree, just saying like a lot of people that their new poo poo is mediocre as gently caress. It's very bland progrock with nothing that hasn't been done before. I like ackerfeldt and I am happy he's making stuff he loves but I am not listening to it.

agreed, i like their prog stuff, probably only because its literally the only prog stuff i listen to and it sounds nice. i toss it on once in a blue moon and cannot tell you any of the songs names

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

agreed, i like their prog stuff, probably only because its literally the only prog stuff i listen to and it sounds nice. i toss it on once in a blue moon and cannot tell you any of the songs names

It's hit or miss. I stand by Pale Communion and In Cauda Venenum but I couldn't name a single track right now off of Heritage or Sorceress.

Except for Era, that song fucks.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
True. I listened those albums now and I get why non-progheads don't like them.
Good stuff though, just not very metal.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This is generally my attitude about bands that change genres, but Akerfeldt spent years giving whiny interviews about how people don't like the new stuff because they're close-minded. No dog, the music is just boring! Do whatever makes you happy, but you're not entitled to people liking it. At least Bruce Dickinson had the conviction to tell people to gently caress off if they were upset about not hearing Number of the Beast live (before they reversed course and spent like ten years recreating their 80s tours lol).

The incorporation of all the 70s prog stuff on Watershed was pretty dope. Burden is a great track! It's too bad they went full-on dadrock and lost all their songwriting chops after that album.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 25, 2024

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I subscribe to the conspiracy theory that Peter Lindgren wrote all the good Opeth stuff.

Once he left everything turned to poo poo.

It's probably not true.
But the timing sure is suspicious

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

This is generally my attitude about bands that change genres, but Akerfeldt spent years giving whiny interviews about how people don't like the new stuff because they're close-minded. No dog, the music is just boring! Do whatever makes you happy, but you're not entitled to people liking it. At least Bruce Dickinson had the conviction to tell people to gently caress off if they were upset about not hearing Number of the Beast live (before they reversed course and spent like yet years recreating their 80s tours lol).

The incorporation of all the 70s prog stuff on Watershed was pretty dope. Burden is a great track! It's too bad they went full-on dadrock and lost all their songwriting chops after that album.

I know I've told this anecdote before, but I saw Opeth live sometime around the release of Deliverance or Damnation, and Mikael announced one upcoming song like "This next one is inspired by a band you probably haven't heard of.... Camel", and I thought to myself "you literally will not shut up about Camel in interviews, you basic bitch". And honestly that was all she wrote re: Opeth for me

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I did a run through all of Opeth's metal albums after the last time they came up in the thread and I'm pretty convinced that they've always been a prog band. The difference is just that they started to lose interest in sounding like a metal band after Damnation and gave it up after Watershed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Malaria posted:

I subscribe to the conspiracy theory that Peter Lindgren wrote all the good Opeth stuff.

Once he left everything turned to poo poo.

It's probably not true.
But the timing sure is suspicious

Naw, it's 100% true - once him and Lopez were gone things just were not the same anymore at all.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I did a run through all of Opeth's metal albums after the last time they came up in the thread and I'm pretty convinced that they've always been a prog band. The difference is just that they started to lose interest in sounding like a metal band after Damnation and gave it up after Watershed.

Here's the thing: they've always been a bad band

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Steven Wilson is terrible and has terrible taste and worse opinions

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Smirr posted:

Here's the thing: they've always been a bad band

settle down beavis

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

Steven Wilson is terrible and has terrible taste and worse opinions

some of his stuff is solid but yeah the opinions are bad and i have no idea how good his remasters are for jethro tull and whatnot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...
the best Åkerfeldt album will always be Brave Murder Day