Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Issue 10 is confirmed as part of the mapping of six along with the new mutants annual.

It’s really dumb

Ugh, that really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

That mapping is loving trash

and what's worse is knowing that Marvel has already mapped out volumes 6 and 7 so there's almost certainly no way of convincing them to reconsider this poo poo

edit; i think this conversation actually belongs in the industry terribleness thread, gently caress you marvel ugghhhh

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 29, 2022

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I finished Geoff Johns's Green Lantern a long time ago, but skipped Brightest Day (also skipped Darkest Night). Is it worth diving into considering it's a different writer?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well good news Marvel caved and now new mutants and the X-men annuals are apart of five

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well good news Marvel caved and now new mutants and the X-men annuals are apart of five

This is great news. It still sucks that we aren't getting those X-Factor issues in vol 5 but I'll take what I can get

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

fuckin a this Seven to Eternity deluxe is MEATY

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Has anyone else picked up the Miracleman omnibus? I'm reading it for the first time and in wondering if the colours have been redone. They seem really good for 1982, having recently read material from that era like JLI, COIE, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

frameset posted:

Has anyone else picked up the Miracleman omnibus? I'm reading it for the first time and in wondering if the colours have been redone. They seem really good for 1982, having recently read material from that era like JLI, COIE, etc.

I believe it was recolored for the premiere hardcovers a few years ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

frameset posted:

The colors have been redone. It doesn’t have the same grimy feeling as the original issues, which is a negative for me.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I heard people say the same thing about Absolute Watchmen. Ignorance is bliss for me I guess.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only really bad recolor I’ve seen was the Moore Swamp Thing absolute edition. They absolutely ruined the psychedelic segments. The Mage hardcover recoloring by Matt Wagner’s son takes away a lot of the charm of the early issues in particular. I had to track down the old softcover collected editions from the 80s to make it feel right.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I really hate the recoloring of Flex Mentallo. It's just so different from the originals, not just trying to make it nicer.

When digital colors was first getting mainstream, a lot of the recoloring would do too much with gradients and such. It's gotten more subtle and better over time.

I think what they did for the first 20 or so issues of Sandman were good, just trying to make it nicer, not different.

The Casanova collections did recoloring well. The originals were monochromatic. The collections added new colors, but didn't go over the top, leaving a feel of the monochromatic design.

I've never read the colored Bone. :colbert:

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 30, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Whatever issues InStockTrades was having with warehouse movement seem to be resolved, I placed an order on Wednesday last week and got it on Sunday.

I got the Miracleman omnibus and the complete Die, they have a DCBS exclusive gold cover and the book is intriguingly labeled as "Book One".

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

Cloks posted:

Whatever issues InStockTrades was having with warehouse movement seem to be resolved, I placed an order on Wednesday last week and got it on Sunday.

Their shipping time may have improved (4 of my orders I've made since the week after last Thanksgiving were in hand 7-8 days after ordering) but their inventory tracking on the site sucks.

My 5th order resulted in an email saying one of my books was out of stock and asking if I wanted to sub another title or get a refund. I went with a sub and then got another email saying my sub pick was out of stock. 2nd time, I opted for the refund. And both titles are still showing up as being able to be added to the cart.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LennyBriscoCountyJr posted:

Their shipping time may have improved (4 of my orders I've made since the week after last Thanksgiving were in hand 7-8 days after ordering) but their inventory tracking on the site sucks.

My 5th order resulted in an email saying one of my books was out of stock and asking if I wanted to sub another title or get a refund. I went with a sub and then got another email saying my sub pick was out of stock. 2nd time, I opted for the refund. And both titles are still showing up as being able to be added to the cart.

I haven't used them in years and years, but it seems like they have gotten better!

I have gotten packages with a letter saying one of the books wasn't in stock and they would send it to me when they got it.

They charged me for that book and I had to email their customer service to get it canceled and refunded. Yes, they charged me for a book they didn't have multiple times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LennyBriscoCountyJr posted:

Guess they should change their name to OUTOFSTOCKTRADES am I right!!?!?!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For me, the cheap trade is the finest form of comic. We talk about the price of comics, and trades are kind of like paperbacks for novels, the most affordable way, at least for a lot of Image books etc. Though digital has its upsides.

I notice sometimes trade prices can creep up to say $20 usd for 5 issues, say the last two IDW Usagi Yojimbo trades. That's 4 dollars an issue, so it's not really more affordable than single comics at that point, which isn't a great deal. Usagi is worthwhile though, and had 7 issues for the same price for a few trades before that. Probably since it's leaving IDW.

Speaking of Usagi, I hope back at Dark Horse they keep doing full size regular trades, rather than the more digest sized ones. I wonder if he'll keep it in color as well.

I bought two of the Usagi Yojimbo saga books, and for me that's too far in the other direction, they're heavy as bricks. I like a light book I can raise up to my cranium.

I have some deluxe hardcovers, but I think the cheap trade is the way to go to spread the comic word far and wide.

Kirkman's books tend to have some decent trade prices, the latest Fire Power vol 5 is 16.99, $2.83 an issue, I can dig that. I'd say $20.99 for 6 issues is as high as I'd like to go at the moment.

Another fun thing I noticed, graphic novels don't have sales tax, at least in my state. Regular novels do have sales tax though, I guess its comics relation to periodicals that let graphic novels have no sales tax. I like it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BBTS is having a clearance sale on some Marvel stuff, including some trades and hardcovers. Notably Annihilation omnibus is $62:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Sear...ng&utm_content=

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That Omnibus is absolutely worth it

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Amazon is closing The Book Depository, which is lame. That was my go-to site for Judge Dredd Case Files and cool UK releases like that. Looking into another good site for that, without shipping and price being bumped way up. Looks like Blackwells might be decent.

In general it would be cool for the Judge Dredd Case Files to be available in more US stores. I used to get orders from 2000AD's online shop back in the day, but it's not doable with their shipping prices now. For example it'd cost $17.24 for them to ship Case Files vol 41 to the US. I'm not a shipping expert, maybe these giant companies are able to get better deals for their cheap/free shipping. Or they're eating losses or something. The finest comic ever should be more readily available across the pond.

I use tfaw.com for my direct market stuff, and they don't have Dredd Case Files up for pre-order for example either. One day I'm probably gonna be buying this series on ebay like a schnook. To quote Goodfellas.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is instocktrades.com legitimate? It has some very good prices on select items that I don’t see elsewhere.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Yeah. They are good. Shipping times can be long last I heard but I have bought tons of stuff from them in the past.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Been forever since I used them. They annoyed me a handful of times by charging me for my entire order and I would get a package missing a book and including a note saying they would mail me the missing one when they got it, ironically, back in stock. I waited a bit every time, then just got them to refund me. I don't know if they updated that policy.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Yeah, I haven't used them in a while but my impression is they're mostly good folks who went a bit to poo poo around/just before the pandemic. Or maybe that's just me, I don't know

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uthor posted:

Been forever since I used them. They annoyed me a handful of times by charging me for my entire order and I would get a package missing a book and including a note saying they would mail me the missing one when they got it, ironically, back in stock. I waited a bit every time, then just got them to refund me. I don't know if they updated that policy.

Hey! They just did this to me. I asked for a refund and they magically got the book back in stock and was shipped 30 minutes prior to my email.

Overall they’re still the only place I use. They have really good prices and the books will get to you… eventually…

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 24, 2023

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

I used them a few months ago and was happy. They package hardcovers super carefully and I picked up some x-men/x-factor omnibus on the cheap

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

I've only had one bad experience with them since last November (see about 10 posts up) and it was resolved. I've used them frequently since then and had no issues.

Their shipping times have been decent since Ive been using them and their packaging has always been excellent.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
IST is legitimate. They're the biggest player in online collected editions stores.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I've bought lots of stuff from them, and plan to in the near future

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I forget who the Goon at Marvel is and I don’t want to dox anyone but your Black Cat omni showed up today. I’m proud of you man.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I don't really post in this thread, so I don't know if this sale is already here, but Moore's Saga of The Swamp Thing (original colors) is half off on amazon.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

What's the rights situation with GI Joe? What are the odds that we get the Marvel poo poo collected in omnibuses?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If you like Dennis O'Neil batman, is the Neal Adams omnibus basically your best bet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Hippo posted:

What's the rights situation with GI Joe? What are the odds that we get the Marvel poo poo collected in omnibuses?

Skybound (Robert Kirkman's company) has the license and is currently publishing a continuation of the Marvel series, so probably non-zero?

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone know the best way to track when Marvel Omnibus reprints are happening? I really want a copy of Uncanny X-Men Omnibus vol 2 but it seems to sell out within weeks of reprinting. It was last reprinted in 2020 so probably due for another one in the next year or two and I don't want to miss it.

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

Urethane posted:

Does anyone know the best way to track when Marvel Omnibus reprints are happening? I really want a copy of Uncanny X-Men Omnibus vol 2 but it seems to sell out within weeks of reprinting. It was last reprinted in 2020 so probably due for another one in the next year or two and I don't want to miss it.

Uncanny Omni #2 is supposed to be getting a reprint next year, according to Omar from NMC:

https://youtu.be/D2OtNc3prRc?feature=shared

r/OmnibusCollectors is probably one of the best ways to keep track of Marvel omnibus release dates. They've got a pinned post that has links to NMC videos for upcoming new/reprint releases that have been announced.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If you like Dennis O'Neil batman, is the Neal Adams omnibus basically your best bet?

The recoloring isn't great and it skips issues even if they're part of the storyline if Adams didn't do the art. On the other hand, it is the most complete collection you're going to find...

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Urethane posted:

comicreleases.com is the best aggregated source of release dates for most hardcovers and larger trades.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Moon Knight by Jed Mackay omnibus got revealed today which I'd been hoping for for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Starsnostars posted:

Moon Knight by Jed Mackay omnibus got revealed today which I'd been hoping for for a while.

YES