Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I've tried that, and whilst they're certainly delicious, it's not even remotely close to that intense almondy, cherry sweetness of the ones I had in that drink :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So I did a second batch of cherry whiskey, this time with fresh cherries, and I let it infuse for like 3 weeks. It leeched out all of the flavor and color, leaving it a really nice red color. It was very tasty, easy to drink straight and worked great in mixed drinks. No pictures because we polished it off on a camping trip, but I'd highly recommend it if you can still get good, fresh cherries.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Until recently I had never cooked brussels sprouts, and when I tried adding them to a stir fry, it turned out really well, except that a few tasted incredibly bitter, almost like horseradish. I didn't realize one was supposed to cut off the base. But it got me thinking, that surely there's a use for these stems? I mean I do like unreasonably bitter things

It does stink quite a bit. Even after straining it through a coffee filter, solids are forming in it at room temperature, though I'm not really concerned about it. I guess I'll try making a martini or something with it? It's not quite strong enough to just a few drops as bitters, I don't think. I cooked the stems in Everclear sous vide at 160°F for two hours. Maybe I should've done it slower and lower, like with limoncello. I will report back.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Okay. I didn't follow up on the brussels sprout tincture because I have written it off as a Failure. Oh well.

Now, however, I have my own amaro recipe which I have tried three times and I'm pretty happy with

Chrismas Amaro No. 8
Add coarsely ground to 250 mL Everclear:
4g cacao nibs
3g chicory
3g gentian
2g cinchona
2g Grains of Selim
2g juniper berries
2g star anise
1g wormwood
1g angelica root
1 black cardamom pod
3 cloves

Infuse for 72 hours. Strain and mix with 100 mL cinnamon simple syrup and 400 mL water. Add a dash of red food coloring to make it a pleasing peach color instead of a gross brown color.

This doesn't have all the botanicals I have on hand, but it does have a lot of them. Probably some of it is superfluous? I am going to experiment with taking things out. For sure the gentian, wormwood, star anise, cloves, and especially the Grains of Selim shine through, at least. The latter is pretty hard to get (I had to buy it from an Etsy seller in Senegal) but I got it for Dave Arnold's Cafe Toube recipe from Liquid Intelligence which is really great (milk-washed coffee-infused rum with Grains of Selim simple syrup). Maybe my palate is broken by being a Malört-lover, so I suppose I could try to make something like this without wormwood; it would be different but maybe not as off-putting to normal people.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

But first, the tranya!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry I posted this in the beer thread by mistake I should have checked deeper! I am testing out my new home lab glassware by making some liquor. I got my 1 gallon jug from amazon in the mail today so I decided to try it out. I sterilized it with bleach then I put half a bag of sugar and a bunch of saf-instant bakers yeast. I think I put too much yeast in but I wasn't sure and I figured if there is lots it will make up for any poor cleaning job I did. Then I put the cork in and the co2 lock. Hopefully in a week I will have some alcohol!

This is my first try to brew anything its obviously kind of crude, just a test to see if this whole "yeast" thing actually works

The yeasty boys are bubbling so I think its working?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW1qyIoGq2w

Step two I will legally buy high proof alcohol and then use my new Soxhlet Extractor to flavor it. I was thinking orange peels?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEicK9UT7pY

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Anyone here tried infusing with chicory?