Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Hell yea congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
goon success story, we love to see it folks

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

goon success story, we love to see it folks

I know, see what happens when you go outside and touch dough?

Mad congratulations are in order. I’ve sent a half dozen people through the place and they come back very happy.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Thank you, and thank you to those who’ve been by or send people through! I am eternally grateful. Still hasn’t quite really hit me, it’s been a whirlwind week.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

ogopogo posted:

Thank you, and thank you to those who’ve been by or send people through! I am eternally grateful. Still hasn’t quite really hit me, it’s been a whirlwind week.

Yukon pizza cookbook next

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
loving rules dude

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Big Time congrats---unreal how this thread has progressed!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

ogopogo posted:

Congrats!

I am in town and was going try and stop by tonight or tomorrow for some award winning pizza. Should I tell whoever I am looking for a goon to say hi?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I asked for 'mr. Yukon pizza' and it worked

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

TheBacon posted:

Congrats!

I am in town and was going try and stop by tonight or tomorrow for some award winning pizza. Should I tell whoever I am looking for a goon to say hi?

Come tomorrow! We just sold out of pizzas tonight lmao. The last few days have been loving hammer town. You can ask for Alex! I’ll be there till about 4-5pm tomorrow.

Edit: please, mr. Yukon pizza is my father, you can just call me pizza.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Congratulations. Also, Pizza Expo? Competition?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

ogopogo posted:

Come tomorrow! We just sold out of pizzas tonight lmao. The last few days have been loving hammer town. You can ask for Alex! I’ll be there till about 4-5pm tomorrow.

Edit: please, mr. Yukon pizza is my father, you can just call me pizza.

Hell yeah looking forward to it!

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

ogopogo posted:

Well poo poo y’all, I went and competed at the Pizza Expo and won the non-traditional pizza division and am now a world pizza champion?! It’s been an incredibly wild ride of a week and I had no expectation of ending up at the top, so my head is still reeling. Over 500 people competed and only 5 walked away as world champions. Grateful and humbled to be amongst some pizza giants.

The pizza I made had balsamic glazed grilled grapes, fontina, mortadella, burrata, pistachio and almond crumbles, lemon zest, mint, basil, and smoked sea salt.
Proud of what I was able to make and happy with how it all turned out, still beside myself with it all.

Amazing and that pizza sounds like a worthy winner. I love the citrus/smoke combo you've got going on there. Congratulations!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Wow congratulations Mr world champion!

I made my first pizzas in a while, I am getting better at kneading and also better at forming the bases. Anyway this is the nicest pizza I've made, such a treat to be able to knock it out at home.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I have journeyed to the Yukon and had some amazing ‘za. Thank you for the hospitality Mr, Yukon Pizza! (I called your brother this btw when I first walked in and thought he might be you)

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

TheBacon posted:

I have journeyed to the Yukon and had some amazing ‘za. Thank you for the hospitality Mr, Yukon Pizza! (I called your brother this btw when I first walked in and thought he might be you)

It was a pleasure chatting pizza and F1 with you! Hope to see you again soon on your next trip to Vegas 🍕

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

knox_harrington posted:

Wow congratulations Mr world champion!

I made my first pizzas in a while, I am getting better at kneading and also better at forming the bases. Anyway this is the nicest pizza I've made, such a treat to be able to knock it out at home.

Looks fantastic!

I broke out my little wood-fired pizza oven for the first pizza of the season, and I took the opportunity to test drive my pizza steel. I preheated it on the stovetop and just popped it in on top of the stone before throwing in the first pizza.

Results were.... all over the place tbh. The first pizza came out needing some extra cooking on the bottom, same as with the stone. The next, I left it maybe 30 seconds too long and it scorched to poo poo on the top and bottom. The third was cooked well on both top and bottom, but it was full of bitter scorch taste from the one immediately before it.

For anyone that's switched from pizza stone to pizza steel, what's your advice? What temperature do you preheat a steel to?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Why are you putting a steel on a stone in a wood fire oven?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Recent pizza in the ol' Ooni Koda:

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Congrats, ogopogo! Now I'm extra upset you were out sick when I visited or I could have boasted to have met a bona fide world champion pizza.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

How portable is the ooni koda compared to the roccbox? I know the ooni is lighter but the actual dimensions of the roccbox seem like it's just gonna be easier to throw in the trunk for glamping or using at the park compared to the koda.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

How portable is the ooni koda compared to the roccbox? I know the ooni is lighter but the actual dimensions of the roccbox seem like it's just gonna be easier to throw in the trunk for glamping or using at the park compared to the koda.

the roccbox is a little taller, and the ooni is a little wider. its about the same footprint, both are pretty easy to toss into a trunk

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

depends on how desperate you are for space in your trunk, i guess

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

It's pretty easy to move about yeah - the carrying case is excellent and makes it super easy to move around,at least for our little 12.

Although if you're sticking it in a car you might want to seperate the chimney, it's a bit of an awkward shape to fit otherwise.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Congrats! I’ll be in Vegas May 30 - June 2, I'll have to stop by for a pie.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Got the ooni out for the first time in a couple years and tried out a batch of the "ny style" dough and technique from their website as it's something I'd like to be able to do as well as the neapolitans that the ooni seems designed for.

I was pretty happy with the results, need to work on my stretching but the dough held up really well to more toppings and seemed easier to work with than neapolitan without tearing. Also the slightly slower cook with this style is a bit less hectic than the 90 seconds of my usual ooni pies.

Made a couple of pepperoni and an asparagus and ham with spring onions and lemon zest.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

@ogopogo: as a world champion, do you ever use pre-shredded mozzarella?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You already know the answer

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

@ogopogo: as a world champion, do you ever use pre-shredded mozzarella?

Heck yeah we do. But it’s the best cheese shred blend on the market (in our opinion), and we think it’s worth it. It’s a mozzarella/provolone blend we use for certain styles of pizza. Other styles we use slices of a really loving good whole milk mozzarella. We use Grande Cheese for pretty much everything, just really good stuff.
https://www.grandecheese.com
My shop is pretty small, and space is a premium in our walk-in and reach-in fridges, as well as around the BOH for equipment. The scales of economics don’t quite work out for us to have the machine to shred the scale of cheese we would need right now, but our eyes are already looking ahead to second location expansion in 2-3 years, where we can really maximize those kinds of things.

Pizza picture tax ❤️🍕

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I just used my pizza oven to pyrolytically clean a sheet pan that had a nasty layer of grease baked onto it. It came out looking like new after 30 mins at 500C. Going to run all my 1/4 sheets through it from now on. Sad it won't take my 1/2 sheets :flame:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

StarkingBarfish posted:

I just used my pizza oven to pyrolytically clean a sheet pan that had a nasty layer of grease baked onto it. It came out looking like new after 30 mins at 500C.

Do take some care because you can warp stuff like restaurant supply store aluminum pans with a pizza oven. Been there with my wood-fired ones. They are pretty cheap anyways so meh.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've done that a few times with my oven cleaning cycle. Cleaning, and also warping :v:

Related, the temptation to break the latch and use the cleaning cycle for pizza is... strong. I'm not going to do it, but I'm tempted every time.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do take some care because you can warp stuff like restaurant supply store aluminum pans with a pizza oven. Been there with my wood-fired ones. They are pretty cheap anyways so meh.

I did worry about it but the nordicware ones have a steel reinforcing ring around them- I can report it seems to do the job.

Hypnolobster posted:

Related, the temptation to break the latch and use the cleaning cycle for pizza is... strong. I'm not going to do it, but I'm tempted every time.

Before I found the effeuno ovens I was seriously considering doing the same based on Jeff Varasano's website.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Who’s ready for a pizza pothead’s favorite day?

We’re doing a few various stoner pizzas but the featured one is a collaboration with the diner next door. Togarashi Fried Chicken & Malted Waffle, with Hot Honey Syrup.

Anyone else here have a good munchies pizza?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
smoke weed and eat pizza, every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Been making pizzas for dinner lately about once a week now, I usually end up with an extra dough ball and this one I let proof an extra day since it was the smallest one of the batch. I hand-shaped it out for lunch today to about 9-10" and put on some homemade sauce (right up to the crust), a blend of mozzarella/cheddar/parm, and pepperoni and banana pepper for toppings.

I've only got a basic brown pizza stone to work with in a regular oven, so I've got it in there with the broiler on @ 450° for 4 minutes, rotate it around halfway, then it goes for another 4 minutes. It gets a nice browning of the crust, and the tomato sauce on the crust either tastefully browns or infuses right into the crust.

Love to make a good za.