Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shumagorath posted:

Will Tailscale connect me to a commercial VPN provider like Nord/Proton/etc? I don’t own the far side of the connection.

It’ll use Mullvad exit nodes via the dashboard config, but I think that’s it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I am seriously considering moving away from the Google home ecosystem, which we haven't invested too heavily in but has been annoying me. Mostly it's because the Nest Hub software seems to be getting worse year by year rather than better. We have 3 Google Wifi pucks that work ok as well as a Nest Hub, Nest Hub Max, and a little Lenovo clock with a charger. We also have a projector that runs Android and is the OS is starting to show its age, particularly the Plex client. So the plan would be to get an Apple TV as the Plex player and redo the network, get rid of the Nest hubs, and maybe add an Apple smart speaker. In that case what would be a good Wifi ecosystem to get into? I do have a 5 year old Unifi Edgerouter X that I never figured out how to use as well as an AC lite. Would it be worth investing in the Unifi ecosystem at this point? I have heard mixed things.

Mobile devices are mostly iPhones and Macs with a few chromebooks.

House is about 2000 sq feet, 3 stories so probably would need at least 2 APs for coverage. TIA!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Fwiw my Google Home mesh wifi thing was great when I got it early 2020, and it just started sucking and needing manual reboots every ~3 days about a year ago.

I bought the Asus mesh version with just two devices, but I made that the main router ... and plugged the Google poo poo into it so that's still running. All my smart home poo poo is still running on the Google network, our office computers are running from the Asus network, but I haven't needed to reboot it since I set it up over a month ago :shrug:

I'm using the Asus ZenWifi XT9 now. Devices with Wifi7 seem INSANELY priced.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 22, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
6/6E is barely a thing; what’s the upside of 7?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shumagorath posted:

WiFi 6 was mostly about better total system performance for lots of clients and barely improved single client performance. 6E expanded into a bunch of new spectrum, hopefully getting you clean air until your neighbor upgrades too. 7 will increase single client speeds again, but by using even wider channels and even bonding together 2.4 And 5ghz on a single connection: https://www.wiisfi.com/#wifi7

Edit: also we already had 2gbps wifi 10 years ago as 802.11ad, nobody wanted it and it died: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Gigabit_Alliance

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Yes, but this one goes to 11.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Edit: also we already had 2gbps wifi 10 years ago as 802.11ad, nobody wanted it and it died: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Gigabit_Alliance

60Ghz 802.11ad/ay gear exists in the wild but mostly for inter-building bridging rather than directly to client endpoints.

Examples:
https://ui.com/us/en/wifi/building-bridge
https://mikrotik.com/products/group/60-ghz-products

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

Fwiw my Google Home mesh wifi thing was great when I got it early 2020, and it just started sucking and needing manual reboots every ~3 days about a year ago.

I bought the Asus mesh version with just two devices, but I made that the main router ... and plugged the Google poo poo into it so that's still running. All my smart home poo poo is still running on the Google network, our office computers are running from the Asus network, but I haven't needed to reboot it since I set it up over a month ago :shrug:

I'm using the Asus ZenWifi XT9 now. Devices with Wifi7 seem INSANELY priced.

This sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. I'd move the clients over to the new wireless network or create the old Google wireless network on the Asus devices and then remove the Google stuff.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Where's the nightmare, seriously?

To be more detailed, the old Google network is running 2.4GHz which most of the internet of poo poo stuff is running on at home. I disabled 2.4 on the Asus network.

I am not against testing all the switches and bulbs (and washing machine, and Google Hubs + cameras) on the new network, but I'm really not seeing what the harm is in letting that be its own thing, and my "important" stuff running on the new one. But also the Asus gear seems way better at just being a normal router. The Google Mesh poo poo is just behind the Asus one now wrt WAN.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'd be mostly concerned about double NAT or two different DHCP servers. Did the device that was needing regular reboots get removed or is it still in place? After that I'd just personally not prefer to have to maintain two different systems if I didn't have to. It's not hard to just add the old SSID and password to the new WAPs.

If you know all this and aren't looking for advice, then by all means more power to you. Tossing poo poo together and hoping for the best isn't something I'd personally want hanging over my head.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

WiFi 6 was mostly about better total system performance for lots of clients and barely improved single client performance. 6E expanded into a bunch of new spectrum, hopefully getting you clean air until your neighbor upgrades too. 7 will increase single client speeds again, but by using even wider channels and even bonding together 2.4 And 5ghz on a single connection: https://www.wiisfi.com/#wifi7

There are a lot more non-overlapping channel sets on 6 GHz which will be great even as that spectrum fills up. 5 GHz is only 3 channels if you don't touch DFS channels and use 80 MHz width.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

Getting some weird RSTP issues with UniFi now... I realized my den is the coolest room in the house, so I moved my new NAS build down there, since I have a MoCA adapter in that room also. Moved a switch to be connected to that MoCA adapter to feed the NAS until I get around to running fiber to that spot.

This may have proven to be one too many switches on MoCA... trying to access the BMC interface or TrueNAS interface, connection drops pretty frequently and I see UniFi network reporting its blocking on the Uplink port of the switch. Trying to figure out in the logs where it thinks the loop is being created, but topologically, there should be no loop. The only thing the new switch is connected too is the BMC and NIC1 of my NAS for downlink.

I have two other switches hanging off the MoCA interfaces that have been flawless for years -- and one of them with two Sonos Amps attached has intentionally blocked STP on the Amp ports as Sonos uses some weird STP variant.

I do have my RSTP priorities set correctly, I think:

* Trunk: 8192
* Leaf 0, Leaf 1: 16384
* Next level (MoCA + anything else directly attached): 32768 (total 5 switches: garage, kitchen, den, office)
* Anything further: 36864 (1 switch: office desk switch)

Can't figure out why adding this one switch has suddenly thrown everything for a (heh) loop. UniFi topology detection is notoriously dumb and has decided the new problematic switch is the 'parent' of the others.

Moved the switch upstairs and tested it out, no issues. I replaced the MoCA adapter with another one I had in the closet, and bingo-bango, problem solved. I'll have to factory reset the 'flaky' one / see what's up... it never caused problems before, so maybe there is something 'stuck' in config, or it's actually bad HW and it is marginal on the RF front-end, who knows.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

Wifi 5->6 was a decent enough update, but nothing worth trashing gear over unless you had an active problem. 6->7 is very very incremental for home users. Remember most of this stuff is geared at extremely high density requirements businesses need. The price premium of Wifi7 is simply a non-starter for me. I only upgraded from Unifi AC -> 6-Lite because one of my AC's died. Just now I looked at the difference from 6-Lite to 6-Pro or 7 equipment and there would be 0 benefits to me, and on 7 gear potentially even drawbacks as clients started using 6Ghz. And then I looked at the cost, which was all higher, and I stuck with a $99 6-Lite.

(6GHz would likely result in a lot of roaming, because I'm not necessarily going to install sufficient APs to prevent roaming.)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My experience with 6E to date has been that since the spec calls for WPA3 almost all cheap devices do not support it. I had to make a separate 2.4Ghz network for things like my printer and Roku and DIY WLED solutions since they wouldn’t even acknowledge the 2.4Ghz portion of the 6E network as existing.

The next experience was having most clients other than my new iPhone not able to use full bandwidth channels, so I ended up rolling everything back to 40/80 so that all the other devices would work.

And the third bit is that I’ve yet to ever need more than even mediocre WiFi speeds, which small channels and wifi 5 were more than capable of hitting.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I've decided to use WiFi 7 as the excuse to upgrade my Apple devices, actually... or at least part of the reason. My iPhone 13 has a non-functional charging port + battery is decaying and with how lovely the build quality has gotten on those, I'd rather just get a new one than spend money on a new battery + repair of my existing one (RIP eWaste), if the rumors for this fall hold true. Likewise, my M2 MBA is virtually perfect, battery only has 206 cycles on it since October 2022 and is the perfect laptop in every way... but next year if a M4 model comes with a WiFi 7 radio, I might use that as an excuse to upgrade.

I spent 30 minutes on a lunch break looking up the radio module on the mobo to see if it was reasonably possible to rework on the mainboard of the M2 MBA, but 1) antenna differences, 2) the chances of the footprint actually being the same between mobos is low, Apple has no reason to do that.

Do I have WiFi 7 APs at the office? Nope... but I do at home and this logic feeds my brainworms. The U6-Pro was starting to reboot nightly (off to eBay you go, as-is for $20!) so a U7-Pro made sense as nothing I owned really took advantage of the 4x4 configuration of the U6-Pro.

until Ubiquiti trolls everyone and never rolls out MLO on the U7-Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ryanrs posted:

How does a lovely 2.4-only device even know you're turning 5 GHz on and off?

movax posted:

I wouldn't think a 2.4 only device like a ESP32-based thing would even be aware of 5GHz -- IIRC the analog front end / entire PHY there is simply 2.4 only. The world does not exist to its ADC outside of 2.4.

quote:

Dumb question... 2.4/5/6 all share the same BSSID / MAC from the AP, right? I don't think there is a different MAC per band, is there? But then WiFi 7 MLO, you do need to be able to tell the difference between STAs...
Nailed it in one.

The AP nearest my desk is a UAP-AC-Pro which has two actual radios, one for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz. I have it configured to broadcast three SSIDs, one of which is exclusive to 2.4GHz, one exclusive to 5GHz, and one available on both.

The device is labeled with its ethernet MAC which is in the format x0:xx:xx:76:xx:xx. If I log in to it over SSH and run iwconfig, I see four "athX" interfaces, one for each single band SSID and two for the multi-band SSID. The two single-band entries are f0:xx:xx:77:xx:xx and f0:xx:xx:78:xx:xx while the multi-band one is f6:xx:xx:77:xx:xx and f6:xx:xx:78:xx:xx. There are also two "element-" and "vwire-" SSIDs configured on each radio using fa:xx:xx:77:xx:xx/fa:xx:xx:78:xx:xx and fe:xx:xx:77:xx:xx/fe:xx:xx:78:xx:xx which appear to be for wireless meshing and auto-adoption of wireless-only UniFi devices. I don't use either of those so I just disabled those, but it seems to show further how the concept works. Every unique combination of SSID and radio gets its own MAC/BSSID.

How this loops back around to lovely IoT gadgets is that a subset of these devices, rather than storing a SSID and password in fact store a BSSID and password. Maybe it's to save space in EEPROM/NVRAM/whatever, maybe it's for faster association when the device wakes, maybe it's just so the device doesn't have to handle whatever unicode emoji barf someone put in their SSID for fun. Either way, if we assume the phone app is sending the device the BSSID of the AP it's connected to instead of the SSID of the network it all makes sense, the phone sends the hardware address of a network the IoT device can't ever see.

Shumagorath posted:

The main thing is multi-link operation, where instead of treating all three radios in a WiFi 6E/7 tri-band device as separate things they can instead be combined and used simultaneously to increase performance and reduce latency, especially if you have multiple active devices.

The other thing that's interesting for personal use is support for non-contiguous channels. With WiFi 6 a 160MHz wide channel has to be a single chunk of spectrum, which means it's always been really hard to use that mode outside of WiFi 6E's relatively clean bandwidth. There are only a few 160MHz channels available and if your neighbors' 5GHz networks happen to fall in the middle of them you're not going to have a great time. WiFi 7 allows the use of a pair of 80MHz wide channels separate from each other in a given band, making 160 on 5GHz viable for a lot more users. They also introduce support for 320MHz in the form of a pair of 160MHz channels, as well as a mix-and-match mode with 80+160 for 240MHz total. Both of these will be useful as 6GHz gets more popular and we start having to care about interference there too.

They also increased the modulation from 1024 QAM to 4096 QAM and allow 16-way MU-MIMO instead of just 8-way, but neither of those are going to substantially impact most users as the former is just for the best of radio conditions and the latter is hard to notice without a lot of active devices.