Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

InevitableCheese posted:

So I've been poking around in the OP and in other threads looking for good videos/courses to learn fundamentals (perspective, form, proportion, etc) with. Does anyone know any good online courses or videos that are decent quality? So far I have looked at stuff like Pencil Kings, Drawspace, and CTRL+Paint, but I'm reallllllly picky on spending my money on a course without knowing how good it is. I don't mind spending a subscription fee or anything, or shelling out $100 for a large online course, but don't want to spend poo poo tons of :20bux: on an actual round of college courses. Anyone used or seen anything that doesn't suck?

Currently, I'm watching Sycra video and Proko on YouTube, and poking around in Loomis' books. I do a lot better when something is structured, though, hence the reason looking for a paid course.

Not an online thing really, but there's a book called rapid visualization. It was the text book for a class of the same name I took in college. I found it super helpful for the sorta stuff you're talking about.

Learning proportion and perspective takes a lot of time and can be discouraging, that's an advantage of actual real-life courses I think is that you're paying for the time to learn it relatively quickly, plus there's a group dynamic where you learn from your classmates. I dunno where you are, but community colleges often offer basic art courses for fairly cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

You're lapsing into iconography.

I hope my tone isn't bad. I'm still learning a lot and by no means an expert. I'm extrapolating a lot from my own drawing and writing experience

Not at all. Ive never heard of that so Ill look it up. I can handle it, thanks for the crits. Ill post some more stuff eventually.

E: Could you elaborate on the icongraphy as Im not really sure what you mean.

Monolith. fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 20, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Monolith. posted:

Not at all. Ive never heard of that so Ill look it up. I can handle it, thanks for the crits. Ill post some more stuff eventually.

E: Could you elaborate on the icongraphy as Im not really sure what you mean.

Have you read Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain? It describes the situation very well in an early chapter.

Basically, as a child, you grow up thinking a triangle on top of a square is a house. It's a symbol your brain memorizes for interpretation later.

When it comes to the act of drawing, you are trying to draw the actual house in front of you. But your brain sees the house in front of it, and it tries to recreate it, but can only recreate it according to the symbol you've stored away for years.

Same with cars, plants, animals, people, and colors. You recognize that a two circles above a curved line is a face. When you try to draw a person, you're constrained by this old symbol you've stored away. To give it a scientific name, it's a form of apophenia.

Luckily, there are exercises you can do to "Truly See" what you are drawing, to break down these mental barriers based on symbols. Like the previously mentioned book, which is very good.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
What they mean by iconography is that you're drawing representations of things as iconic or as icons, rather than what is actually there. It's not necessarily bad to do that, but when you're trying to learn how to draw it's counter productive.

Think cartoons or something similarly abstracted from reality. It might seem like they're simple to draw, but to do them well you need a fundamental understanding of naturalistic forms and proportions. Meaning, draw from life first before attempting to create iconic imagery. It'll help you in the long term.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Makes sense. Ill grab that book as well.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've lapsed over the last month and a half but I'm slowly getting back into studying every day, this was my last attempt - I feel like I've come a decent way over the last couple of months but my texture game is still poo poo.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Been taking some courses and going through some life drawing books and things are starting to make sense. I'd like to start venturing into drawing from my imagination so I don't get burnt out on practice, but I'm having trouble ever starting or thinking of things to draw. How do you guys get past fear of a blank canvas, and push through to find something you want to draw?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

I find the best way to overcome the blank canvas is to just start on something. I find once I do that then I don't stop until my lines are complete.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just start doodling things you think are cool? I don't know what to tell you if you don't have any ideas for what to draw from imagination.

Unless I'm misunderstanding. Just start drawing and keep playing with the medium until you hit upon something you like, expand upon your ideas, write notes in your sketchbook.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

InevitableCheese posted:

Been taking some courses and going through some life drawing books and things are starting to make sense. I'd like to start venturing into drawing from my imagination so I don't get burnt out on practice, but I'm having trouble ever starting or thinking of things to draw. How do you guys get past fear of a blank canvas, and push through to find something you want to draw?

https://www.amazon.com/Keys-Drawing-Imagination-Strategies-Confidence/dp/1581807570

This book is great.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

InevitableCheese posted:

So I've been poking around in the OP and in other threads looking for good videos/courses to learn fundamentals (perspective, form, proportion, etc) with. Does anyone know any good online courses or videos that are decent quality? So far I have looked at stuff like Pencil Kings, Drawspace, and CTRL+Paint, but I'm reallllllly picky on spending my money on a course without knowing how good it is. I don't mind spending a subscription fee or anything, or shelling out $100 for a large online course, but don't want to spend poo poo tons of :20bux: on an actual round of college courses. Anyone used or seen anything that doesn't suck?

Subscription-wise, I would recommend the New Masters Academy. They have an absolutely massive video library from dozens of instructors (featuring luminaries like Glen Vilppu and Steve Huston) covering just about every aspect of drawing/painting/sculpting you could want, as well as a huge collection of photo references.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What's the quality of these lessons? The instructors' skills are obviously not in question here, but I'd prefer stuff that's got actual lectures with fewer demos, like Proko, as opposed to paying just to watch several weeks of a guy draw and occasionally comment for 2 hours.

Argue fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 8, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Argue posted:

What's the quality of these lessons? The instructors' skills are obviously not in question here, but I'd prefer stuff that's got actual lectures with fewer demos, like Proko, as opposed to paying just to watch several weeks of a guy draw and occasionally comment for 2 hours.

They have a free head drawing lesson from Steve Huston out that I would say is fairly representative of the rest of the lessons available. There's usually a lecture section, followed by a demonstration and commentary section, followed by practice and an instructor demonstration after.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 8, 2016

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Vermain posted:

Subscription-wise, I would recommend the New Masters Academy. They have an absolutely massive video library from dozens of instructors (featuring luminaries like Glen Vilppu and Steve Huston) covering just about every aspect of drawing/painting/sculpting you could want, as well as a huge collection of photo references.

Well hot drat those look amazing for $30. They really put those lectures and assignments in well, and it's got some amazing instructors. I'll have to give this a test run soon!

Edit: Do they have any sorting or recommendation on where to start? My big issues with big libraries are lack of an obvious "path".

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

InevitableCheese posted:

Well hot drat those look amazing for $30. They really put those lectures and assignments in well, and it's got some amazing instructors. I'll have to give this a test run soon!

Edit: Do they have any sorting or recommendation on where to start? My big issues with big libraries are lack of an obvious "path".

Unfortunately, no. Where to start depends a bit on your skill level, but I'd personally recommend Huston's "An Introduction to Art," "Components of Drawing," and "Essential Three Dimensional Drawing." After that, both Huston and Vilppu have extensive lessons regarding gesture drawing, which is where I'd go to next if you're primarily interested in doing figure drawings for the moment. Sheldon Borenstein's entire catalogue is also a good area for beginners, although his manner of public speaking rather grates on me; you might enjoy it, however.

One of the nice things about art is that you benefit a lot from looking at different approaches and watching different artists performing the same basic procedure. I've learned a lot from seeing both Huston and Vilppu doing gesture drawing compared to if I had only seen one of them doing it. Don't be afraid to browse around all of the artists they have and see how they choose to do a certain procedure over the other.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
And don't just focus on the act of drawing, make sure you go core and study the elements of art and principles of design

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

InevitableCheese posted:

How do you guys get past fear of a blank canvas, and push through to find something you want to draw?
Think of something you need to improve on and then draw something that has a lot of that.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
So this really bites. Basically, I'm working on backgrounds for a cartoon my friend and I are making. Doing it digitally wasn't giving me the kinds of results I wanted, so I decided to make them by hand. Watercoloring texture/gradients/elements of the scene, cutting them out, placing them, and then I get kind of a neat, layered, storybook look. With the scale we're working with in the animation itself, it needs to be pretty big, so I got some pretty big watercolor paper. Great! Cool! I need a lot of it!

I found a pad for a decent price, and I sat down today to finally get started, and it's pilling like crazy. I didn't really see this coming. Am I just SOL here? I really didn't expect paper designed to be wet to freak the junk out when it's wet. Do I need to return it and spend a bunch of money on nicer paper? Because that royally sucks.

Edit: I wet it before hand, stretched it, and let it dry. Dunno if that's a common sense thing that someone was going to suggest.

uberwekkness fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 9, 2016

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

uberwekkness posted:

So this really bites. Basically, I'm working on backgrounds for a cartoon my friend and I are making. Doing it digitally wasn't giving me the kinds of results I wanted, so I decided to make them by hand. Watercoloring texture/gradients/elements of the scene, cutting them out, placing them, and then I get kind of a neat, layered, storybook look. With the scale we're working with in the animation itself, it needs to be pretty big, so I got some pretty big watercolor paper. Great! Cool! I need a lot of it!

I found a pad for a decent price, and I sat down today to finally get started, and it's pilling like crazy. I didn't really see this coming. Am I just SOL here? I really didn't expect paper designed to be wet to freak the junk out when it's wet. Do I need to return it and spend a bunch of money on nicer paper? Because that royally sucks.

Edit: I wet it before hand, stretched it, and let it dry. Dunno if that's a common sense thing that someone was going to suggest.

Get better paper. The pilling is due to high wood pulp content and not enough cotton rag content. For messing around with studies or color keys, student/low-grade paper is OK. For what you want to do, you have to use 100% rag paper/illustration board.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

neonnoodle posted:

Get better paper. The pilling is due to high wood pulp content and not enough cotton rag content. For messing around with studies or color keys, student/low-grade paper is OK. For what you want to do, you have to use 100% rag paper/illustration board.

Thanks for the confirmation. Was hoping I did something boneheaded that could be remedied, but oh well. :shobon: Any paper recommendations?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Arches or GTFO

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

neonnoodle posted:

Arches or GTFO

There are middle quality papers like Fabriano that are pretty good if you have a gentle touch but still wont handle much scrubbing or heavy handedness. Arches is the only paper that's gonna for sure hold up against pretty much any abuse.

RIP your wallet though if you are gonna be buying lots of giant sheets of the stuff.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

JuniperCake posted:

There are middle quality papers like Fabriano that are pretty good if you have a gentle touch but still wont handle much scrubbing or heavy handedness. Arches is the only paper that's gonna for sure hold up against pretty much any abuse.

RIP your wallet though if you are gonna be buying lots of giant sheets of the stuff.

Uggghh yeah. I know. I'm sort of reassessing the first scene design I have sketched out, to see how much I can limit the really big pieces. I might be able to swing only needing maybe three or four big pieces (sky, street, etc) and then small to medium paper for the other things (trees, distant hills, buildings, and so on.)

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Have you considered the possibility of doing the backgrounds small and then getting high-quality scans and printing them out bigger? If that would be acceptable, then you can work on smaller pieces of paper but maintain the texture when the pieces are enlarged

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

It does need to be scanned, since the animation is being done digitally. My concern with doing it smaller and then enlarging it is that the texture won't be proportionate with the texture of the characters, and it'll either look unbalanced, or outright blurry in closeups.

It's still a possibility though. I'll test out a couple of options and talk with my partner. :)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Does anyone have any good rules of thumb for light/shadow colors, especially with skin tones? I usually go lower saturation with a slight push towards blue for shadows and higher saturation with a push towards yellow for lights, but it never quite feels like the colors gel together, even when doing simple cel shading.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Can you post an example of what you usually do that you're unsatisfied with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm a fan of Wayne White's cardboard puppets and sculptures. I want to make some cardboard monsters for Halloween. Any advice?

• Locked thread