Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah that cracked me up. I don’t think he’s a bad guest his just has a very stoned energy to him.

It’s so weird cause I never knew him by name and always assumed he was just some comedian friend of toms since he’s been on the show quite a few times. I just googled him for the first time and was like “holy crap it’s that guy!” Not what I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah that cracked me up. I don’t think he’s a bad guest his just has a very stoned energy to him.

It’s so weird cause I never knew him by name and always assumed he was just some comedian friend of toms since he’s been on the show quite a few times. I just googled him for the first time and was like “holy crap it’s that guy!” Not what I was expecting.

Tom's appearance in the Conan "Dudz a-plenti" sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtlnC1pBkVU&t=416s

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Hadn't heard about this until just now, but apparently Tom is in the new season of I Think You Should Leave that comes out in a couple of hours.

(edit: it only just now occurred to me that Tom has probably talked about this on the show-- I'm waayyyy behind on episodes)

an owls casket fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 1, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe I just have too many podcasts to listen to, but I go weeks without listening to the best show lately. Since they moved to the new studio, the show just hasn’t been doing it for me. Rubenesque is good, but that’s like one show every 2 months. It’s just missing something for me.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

BigFactory posted:

Maybe I just have too many podcasts to listen to, but I go weeks without listening to the best show lately. Since they moved to the new studio, the show just hasn’t been doing it for me. Rubenesque is good, but that’s like one show every 2 months. It’s just missing something for me.

Putting ads back in really dampened my desire to listen to the show as soon as it comes out. Even the Best Show Bests have like 3 commercial breaks for a 30 minute clip. It's just brutal.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Make Tom actually do live reads again. He sounded miserable talking about draft kings and it made them more fun.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

If I'm home I catch some of the show on twitch (which is great - I really like being able to see Tom and the guests etc.) but if I miss it live, I basically never listen anymore, it's too much to keep up with and I commute less since COVID scored me a semi-remote work situation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’ll always love the show, but yeah after 15+ years of religious listening I’ve kind of bumped it into the background. It’s just not the show it used to be. Tom will never not be funny, but I dunno it kind of lost its edge when it left WFMU and possibly even more so recently.

I haven’t stopped listening it’s just sort of become low priority. If it was an hour long I’d probably still listen every week but 3 hours feels like a big ask these days

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
double threat rules though

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Riptor posted:

double threat rules though

Yeah, it’s always pretty good. Ahoy, on the other hand, was not so good.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I skip past the parts I don't like. Still crave the Sharpling/Wurster stuff. Also like the call in stuff, but the band performances– depends on who. When I learned to skip past chunks of podcast, that's when I learned to live life.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kinda shocked to just read the description for this week's episode to hear Dave from Knoxville died.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

GoutPatrol posted:

Kinda shocked to just read the description for this week's episode to hear Dave from Knoxville died.

That sucks. What a nice dude

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

One time I messaged Dave during a Best Show hiatus to tell him how much I enjoyed his calls. He was super nice (of course) and we had a fun talk about 70s glam rock. :3:

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Anyone still post here? Just letting y'all know I'll be at Tom's show in LA tonight, and I shall report back.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I post from time to time. Let us know how it is. I’m curious to know the format and what happens

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Just got back. Wow, great show. Hard to categorize, but it was basically Tom talking about his life, and those stories would become jumping-off points for different bits. Sometimes he'd have a guest on stage, and along the way he'd reveal some ~*~sEcReTs~*~

The show opened with 21st Century Schizoid Man playing over the PA, Tom came out and sang the first bit of it.
There was a musician on stage, Chaki, who would play music in between bits and occasionally chime in during the show
Tom talked a bit about his childhood, which segued into him revealing that he found an erotic fanfic about The Go-Gos that he and his then-girlfriend co-wrote when they were both 13. He then got actual member of The Go-Gos Kathy Valentine on Zoom and read it to her. (It was very graphic)
He then talked about how in the 90s he and Jon Wurster would troll various newsgroups. He invited comedian Jo Firestone onstage to read some of them.
He then invited harpist Mary Lattimore onstage and she performed a song. They then did harp versions of "Fly" by Sugar Ray and "That Don't Impress Me Much" by Shania Twain
There was a Q&A with the audience
He told a story about trying (and failing) to learn to scuba dive in Hawaii.
Tom's big closer: Vapetriloquism! Never seen Tom physically struggle to do a bit so hard, but it was loving hilarious.
The show ended with a sing-along of Plush by Stone Temple Pilots

Okay, some secret tidbits he dropped:
1. In the new year he's going to drop the script for an unsold pilot he wrote about nu-metal
2. He said there's a show currently airing which he wrote on, that he considers the worst thing he's ever been a part of. Didn't mention what show it was but drat I'm curious
3. He and Julia Vickerman will be starting a new podcast in 2024. Didn't say what it would be about
4. He's writing another book! He hasn't sold it yet, but he intends for it to be about him setting and pursuing outrageous goals for himself. He specifically mentioned the time he walked 1 million steps in about 3 months, and the scuba story will be a part of it

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Tom's got credits on the Greek themed dan harmon show that nobody talks about

edit: forgot it was linked to nft garbage
https://twitter.com/Krapopolis/status/1734392126748684364

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

fez_machine posted:

:kstare:

those tweets are from yesterday

also yeah i think you found it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

fez_machine posted:

Yes, the show that Fox renewed for 3 seasons before airing a single second of it. I thought the NFT aspect would be quietly swept under the rug after the bottom fell out of that scam long before the show actually debuted, but I saw them plugging it with on-screen bugs during the 5 minutes of the show I watched a while back - whatever contract they signed must be hard to break. Guessing there will be a great tell-all oral history in a few years.