Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

VideoTapir posted:

Sounds like what I had been doing is probably the way to go. Hey, who knows, maybe she burns out on fanfic before she even realizes it's a thing.

You could also try to get her onto some YA books that are based firmly in the real world.

Just don't let her read Stargirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

value-brand cereal posted:

I feel like this thread has run its course and should be goldmined already.
Actually really agreeing with this.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

Valex posted:

Honestly at this point it's mostly just tangents and people desperate to prove they aren't like the people discussed in the thread

But that's like a third of what makes this thread so drat entertaining!

The other two being hosed-up stories and terrible advice, of course.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

LunarShadow posted:

This this, holy loving poo poo this. What even made it seem like a good idea to introduce a nine year old to an internet community? I am not even certified yet and that sets off alarm bells you could hear in the next zip code.

Unless I'm the one misunderstanding, I don't think they were suggesting that they introduce the child to online fanfiction or the fanfiction community, but questioning whether it was okay to encourage her to write what are essentially fanfics.

My daughter really likes to exaggerate or makeup accomplishments in order to seem even cooler, and writing everything down as a story was the suggestion she was given as well. She was about 9 at the time. She's chilled out a lot since then.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I'm OK if the thread is to be Goldmined.
Thanks, everyone, it's been a wild five year long ride.

Denise still lives with her father on a different part of the island we are from. She's a cosplayer. Seems to have quite a few friends now. I don't know if she's let any of this stuff go, she might just keep it more private now, which is something.
My best buddy, Kat, teaches English in Taiwan and is very successful. I am a character artist at a videogame studio.
My scary as gently caress ex called Brian is living on the mainland somewhere. He has not emailed me accusing me of having tons of abortions and doing hard drugs for at least four years now, which is a relief. His snake died a while ago, I think he has more now. He sometimes cosplays as well, he's into Dr Who. West Coast cosplay scene: watch the gently caress out for a Dr Who fan that has tons of snakes, it's probably him.

Peace out, etc.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
(Which mod do we ask about goldmining?)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I hope other posters who contributed stories will follow uglynoodles' example and post "where are they now?" updates if they happen to know anything. If we give the thread time to collect some of those - a week or so? - then I'd be happy to see it goldmined.

Thanks, uglynoodles, and thank you to everyone who shared stories.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
:agreed: on the goldmining. I'd love a "where are they now?" post for Henrietta; I loved all the stories in this thread and think it deserves to be goldmined, but the one about the yiff folder getting deleted on a projector screen was the one that made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe. That was some brilliant writing.

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
Hey, I have a hosed up story I randomly realized the horror of. Names vaguely changed.

So when I was 12 (about 13 years ago now), I joined this Digimon forum. It was.. okay, as far as forums go. The website for it had odd pages that had been taken down that said things like "DON'T ASK ABOUT DIGITALKATIE!" and the admin ran a separate site where he published his awful fanfic role plays with another member.

So I join, all is good. I get involved with the other members of the board that are my age, and I ignore the admin who was named Ken for the most part - I had a blind hatred of him for no reason, though in hindsight I think that was because I subconsciously picked up on his creepiness (I grew up around a lot of pedophiles; this Ken tried to be nicey-nice to me at first and it triggered what I thought at the time was an irrational outburst of anger where I was almost banned.)

At this point, we all think of Ken, the admin, as an 18 year old man who for some reason loves doing sexual role plays (often about Final Fantasy) with this group of girls, who were my age at the time (12ish.) He started sexually role playing with them about three years before I joined the forum, so when they were around ~10. So that's gross. He begins dating one of my friends on the board, which entailed to a lot of sexting and my friend sending him naked pictures. They flirt all over the board, but he's like a huge dick to her constantly - telling her that her fanfics are stupid, when she shows him a link he's like "I'm not reading this just give me a summary," you know, just generically being an rear end. I'm not sure what was being said privately, but apparently it was quite brutal and led to my friend leaving the forum and not returning (we met up on the 'net later on.) He kind of made crappy comments to everyone and was sort of instigating fights (which is easy to do when you're the only adult on a board of entirely preteens.)

Anyway, we all hate Ken at this point even though we are unaware of the significance of the pedophilia in our naive youth. He ends up leaving and making someone else an admin.

Fast forward a few months later. That underage girl he wrote a bunch of sexy stories and roleplays with came back and doxxed the poo poo out of the guy. It turned out Ken was a Quebecois woman in her mid-twenties or so (I do sometimes wonder if this was a cover identity though,) who has a daughter, who has multiple profiles in multiple fandoms where she picks up underage girls. It turns out Digitalkatie was their old alias that wasn't useable anymore because people realized she was a pedophile and tried to oust her from the Digimon community. The idea that she's still out there doing this kind of haunts me, I'll be honest. People might not think making young kids sexually role play is sexual abuse, but it happened to me (elsewhere) and it was traumatizing for me. And I say this as a person who spent half their life being trafficked. Online sexual abuse is a real trauma. (Just adding this because some people I told this story to were like who cares, it's not like they met in real life.)

Aside from the pedophilia, there was some "hacker" guy who kept getting Ken's boards deleted with random TOS violations. I think one was because they had a foreign language forum; don't remember why Invision deleted the second board, but if I had to guess it might have had to do with the pedophilia. Ken made us all hate this hacker and we kind of were bonded together in our struggle against this guy, but in retrospect I wonder if he was trying to protect the vulnerable underage members.

There was also another pedophile in the Digimon community that was obsessed with Patamon and used to run a Patomon/Gatomon Kari/TK sex hell of a forum, which emphasized the underage nature of the characters from the show Digimon. Most exciting story I knew from him personally was him getting banned from a different Digimon forum's chat for trying to pick up a 12 year old member.

Fluorescent fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 12, 2016

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I wish I had a super positive asskicking update to my story, but unfortunately I got what I got.

I have a restraining order against the entire Keister family, which has done little good. I'm still raising the cash to hire a lawyer and go for criminal charges against her for all this bullshit, but donations have really slowed down and I don't really know how else to keep promoting.

I still monitor the dispatch logs from her local sheriff's department. She still calls in every few days. The newest update is that in the past couple weeks she's began calling in using her mother's name as well, making the same claims (repeated calls from unknown number, etc etc etc) that she was before. I wrote a nice long email to that sheriff's department's CrimeStoppers division but I haven't heard back yet.

Sadly, I am almost certain that she is building to something with all of these calls etc. I just wish I knew what.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

That drat Satyr posted:

I wish I had a super positive asskicking update to my story, but unfortunately I got what I got.

I have a restraining order against the entire Keister family, which has done little good. I'm still raising the cash to hire a lawyer and go for criminal charges against her for all this bullshit, but donations have really slowed down and I don't really know how else to keep promoting.

I still monitor the dispatch logs from her local sheriff's department. She still calls in every few days. The newest update is that in the past couple weeks she's began calling in using her mother's name as well, making the same claims (repeated calls from unknown number, etc etc etc) that she was before. I wrote a nice long email to that sheriff's department's CrimeStoppers division but I haven't heard back yet.

Sadly, I am almost certain that she is building to something with all of these calls etc. I just wish I knew what.

Just praying it is not showing up at your house with a katana/gun...

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

That drat Satyr posted:

I have a restraining order against the entire Keister family, which has done little good. I'm still raising the cash to hire a lawyer and go for criminal charges against her

I'm going to reveal my ignorance by asking if there is any state in the US which allows private prosecution of criminal offenses? Or did you mean "civil damages" instead of "criminal charges"?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Samizdata posted:

Or worse, a katanagun.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Samizdata posted:

As long as I see her coming, I'm a fair shot with a bow.

I will not deny that I have fantasized about this. ._. Hooray for SCA skills.

AlbieQuirky posted:

I'm going to reveal my ignorance by asking if there is any state in the US which allows private prosecution of criminal offenses? Or did you mean "civil damages" instead of "criminal charges"?

Yeah, that.

The thing is I'm pretty sure I'll never get a cent out of her, so my long term goal is to do my best to make her life miserable. IE: asking for her to have restricted internet access (not likely to happen), long term probation and required several times a week therapy (much more likely) and so on.

You know, just the little things. :allears:

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 4, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

That drat Satyr posted:

As long as I see her coming, I'm a fair shot with a bow.

I will not deny that I have fantasized about this. ._. Hooray for SCA skills.

Yeah, that.

The thing is I'm pretty sure I'll never get a cent out of her, so my long term goal is to do my best to make her life miserable. IE: asking for her to have restricted internet access (not likely to happen), long term probation and required several times a week therapy (much more likely) and so on.

You know, just the little things. :allears:

Not sure about that one. From the pics I saw, she looked a little...large?

(Also, ex-SCA here too. Unfortunately, my main skills were sword, drinking, and dance. Plus combinations thereof.)

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Samizdata posted:

(Also, ex-SCA here too. Unfortunately, my main skills were sword, drinking, and dance. Plus combinations thereof.)

I'm assuming this was at least partially a joke (by all means correct me - in detail - if I'm wrong) but I got a real kick out of pondering how one might pursue (period appropriate?) drinking as an actual, measurable skill.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

AlbieQuirky posted:

The poster's already clarified what they meant, but for what it's worth Virginia, Rhode Island and New Hampshire still allow private prosecutions under some circumstances (usually only for misdemeanors), and several other states allow private citizens to file criminal complaints which may lead to a state prosecution being initiated.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

That drat Satyr:

I suggest you do a separate thread about it, and invest some time in the write-up. Do little illustrations with it too, like I did back in the day with this thread. It's interesting to read about and people love little comics or doodles showing the absurdity of the whole situation. That might get you some attention with regards to donations for legal defense.
Who knows, post it in the right places and it could blow up.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I'm assuming this was at least partially a joke (by all means correct me - in detail - if I'm wrong) but I got a real kick out of pondering how one might pursue (period appropriate?) drinking as an actual, measurable skill.

Spending most of a camping weekend without your tankard going dry?

(Yeah, a bit of a joke. I always claimed SCA was just an excuse for me to get drunk, carry a sword and wear really comfortable pants. Also, SCA drinking options can be amazing, from lemon mead, to lovely dark beers, to colorless, flavorless concoctions that will get you where you want to go quadruple-time fast).

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 4, 2017

burial
Sep 13, 2002

See, it's the measurable part that gets me. It's a whole day later and it's STILL funnier than it should be:

"Sure, he has some technical skill where sloshing the grog around is concerned, but he consistently gets slightly too little froth on the surface of the table when he roars a toast."

"True, but his slurring technique has really improved since he's been training with Rita. She's really got a knack for teaching controlled incoherence."

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

lemon-lyme disease posted:

See, it's the measurable part that gets me. It's a whole day later and it's STILL funnier than it should be:

"Sure, he has some technical skill where sloshing the grog around is concerned, but he consistently gets slightly too little froth on the surface of the table when he roars a toast."

"True, but his slurring technique has really improved since he's been training with Rita. She's really got a knack for teaching controlled incoherence."

But he is definitely master level at public urination?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Look, I can apologize for my hosed mind, but beyond that the well is dry.

Also yes, probably.

• Locked thread