Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
This past week I discovered Korean television. I recently watched a Korean workplace comedy called Gaus Electronics which was hilarious, and now I want more.

Could anyone recommend some fun Korean TV shows that I should add to my list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Hughmoris posted:

This past week I discovered Korean television. I recently watched a Korean workplace comedy called Gaus Electronics which was hilarious, and now I want more.

Could anyone recommend some fun Korean TV shows that I should add to my list?

The Sound of Your Heart was a short series on Netflix, based off of a webtoon of the same name. It stars Kwang Soo in the lead and was some very cute nonsense. They also did a reboot, but I have not watched that.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Straight comedy dramas I don't think are Korea's forte, there's a few but they tend to be noticeably lower budget than the more premium shows.
Some ones to look at though,
Work Later, Drink Now
Pegasus Market
Chief Kim
Super Family
Kkondae Intern
Welcome to Waikiki

I wouldn't trust most sites tagging of "comedy". Plenty of shows have comedic elements. Excellent show airing now considered "comedy" is called Queen of Tears, and while it's definitely got comedic moments, the central premise is the main couple rekindling their relationship after the wife is diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Vincenzo is a decent action show with comedic elements

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Backstreet Rookie is fairly goofy

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm compiling a list with them. I'm not looking for slap-stick comedies, necessarily, but rather something that is more light-hearted than dark and sad.

In the past week I've binged:
  • Gaus Electronics - a hilarious workplace comedy
  • Mr. Queen - time traveling historical drama that starts off with a lot of comedy but trends towards drama in the middle and end
  • Clean With Passion For Now - another drama that starts off as a comedy but trends more towards drama as it progresses

I watched a good chunk of Love To Hate You on Netflix, didn't care for it. The characters felt shallow, and the writing was pandering.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm compiling a list with them. I'm not looking for slap-stick comedies, necessarily, but rather something that is more light-hearted than dark and sad.

'Hit the Top' was one of my favorites that stayed mostly comedy. 'Strong Girl Bong-soon' is also quite fun throughout. Already mentioned, and I can't vouch for all of it, but I'd expect 'Welcome to Waikiki' would stay rather lighthearted past what I've watched of it, too.
I'd also certainly look into Variety Shows like the early years of the titular Running Man for lighthearted fun.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm still watching Apartment 404 and I'm still loving it. It has a vibe that's like a cross between mid-era Running Man, Village Survival, and a touch of Genius. I really hope it gets a second season because it's been really fun and also really interesting to learn about incidents from Korea's past. It seems to be tanking within Korea, but I wonder what the international viewership is on Amazon and elsewhere.

(Jennie is OP, plz nerf)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Apartment 404 is fun, but about 20 minutes too long. Feels really stretched thin, Yoo Jae Suk and Yang Se Chan are doing so much heavy lifting to keep it going.

As for Running Man, the most recent episode was fun, as they got their fashion style critiqued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Teek posted:

Apartment 404 is fun, but about 20 minutes too long. Feels really stretched thin, Yoo Jae Suk and Yang Se Chan are doing so much heavy lifting to keep it going.

I've been watching each episode in 4 parts, since there's some convenient breaking points every 25 minutes or so. I tend to do something similar with Running Man.

I don't think anyone is doing any "heavy lifting" on the show. I love the roles that everyone plays and they all have a very strong presence. The exception might be Jung-ha, being a variety rookie and a bit naive/lost, but that still works as a character for him, and I never feel like anybody is really lacking or unimportant.