Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Isn't that the part where Verin lies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ManSedan posted:

Isn't that the part where Verin lies?

Nope, she does that a bit earlier in the book.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

While going through the last few volumes by Jordan I was trying to detect any tone change that would indicate he knew he was sick. The timeline in Wikipedia suggests he wasn't diagnosed until after Book 11 was published, but I did certainly notice the narrative slowdown rolling into book 8-9 (especially book 10's "let's recap the cleansing of saidin from six different perspectives" trick, followed by him deliberately speeding things up again in 11 when he realized that had backfired). But I couldn't tell whether any of that was telegraphing anything about his personal health. People in other threads are talking like he knew he was dying for several volumes toward the end. Is there any confirmation of that? Or did that really all take place after his final book came out?

Also, is Aviendha pronounced like "Ah-vi" or "Ay-vi"?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Data Graham posted:

The audiobooks pronounce it Ah-vee-end-ah

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How are u posted:

The audiobooks pronounce it Ah-vee-end-ah

Cool, my friend is a moron, thought so.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Data Graham posted:

While going through the last few volumes by Jordan I was trying to detect any tone change that would indicate he knew he was sick. The timeline in Wikipedia suggests he wasn't diagnosed until after Book 11 was published, but I did certainly notice the narrative slowdown rolling into book 8-9 (especially book 10's "let's recap the cleansing of saidin from six different perspectives" trick, followed by him deliberately speeding things up again in 11 when he realized that had backfired). But I couldn't tell whether any of that was telegraphing anything about his personal health. People in other threads are talking like he knew he was dying for several volumes toward the end. Is there any confirmation of that? Or did that really all take place after his final book came out?

He did admit that in hindsight doing CoT the way he did was a mistake. It was an interesting idea, but the big pain came from people who didn't get to binge having to wait extra long for it/the next book due to him presumably working on the prologue between Winter's Heart and CoT (that was the biggest time gap in between books, which is really saying something about the dude).

He received his terminal diagnosis in 2006 (after Knife of Dreams came out), and worked his hardest to make sure that his fans would have a conclusion to the series that some had been reading for ~16~ years at that point. Contrast that with GRRM, who is never going to finish his far shorter series before he dies.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Data Graham posted:

Cool, my friend is a moron, thought so.

Yeah, the audio books (once they get over the initial hump of "How do you pronounce these words which are *not* english?) are pretty consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

He did admit that in hindsight doing CoT the way he did was a mistake. It was an interesting idea, but the big pain came from people who didn't get to binge having to wait extra long for it/the next book due to him presumably working on the prologue between Winter's Heart and CoT (that was the biggest time gap in between books, which is really saying something about the dude).

He received his terminal diagnosis in 2006 (after Knife of Dreams came out), and worked his hardest to make sure that his fans would have a conclusion to the series that some had been reading for ~16~ years at that point. Contrast that with GRRM, who is never going to finish his far shorter series before he dies.

if he had wanted to see his series' end, he would have gotten a professional editor

• Locked thread