Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

CharlesM posted:

OP is a bit outdated but check these settings.

Thanks. The highlight setting made the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bender
May 12, 2001

Fun Shoe
Any update on when we might get a fix for the scrolling problem?

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I just tried to open a few links in the free magazine thread that were pictures linking to other sites and instead of the proper links opening the browser opened the pictures instead. I hope that makes sense, but basically it didn't open the links it was supposed to.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I read in the other thread there is a future update coming out ... something I wanted to mention: when posting I tap the 3 dots, select reply, type reply, tap send, tap a confirmation dialog to make sure I want to send, then tap a confirmation dialog that I just sent something. That's a lot of dialog boxes. Maybe it can be trimmed down?

Also will the update include an auto-refresh after making a post and/or returning to the bookmarks page?

edit; and the first letter of a new paragraph won't auto capitalize.

Thanks, liking the app.

wormil fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 2, 2014

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I might be missing something obvious, but how do I fix everyone's handle showing up as "AwfulPoster"? Already tried signing out, restarting the app, and signing in and even rebooting my phone.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

I might be missing something obvious, but how do I fix everyone's handle showing up as "AwfulPoster"? Already tried signing out, restarting the app, and signing in and even rebooting my phone.

Whoa. I just noticed that too. I'm not seeing it everywhere, some users have the right names, but lots don't... I could have sworn it wasn't doing that earlier this evening.

Edit: And yet it quoted your real username...

Edit 2: Not seeing the problem in the other Awful reader.

Ev fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 16, 2014

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I am 99% sure it has to do with the new grenade icons, if you go to the desktop, next to the names of users that have platinum (mine should say AwfulPoster after I post this; edit: Yep). It did this when Ralp had his custom moperator icon too, a lumpy star that changed from gray to yellow.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Bootleg, just chipping in to let you know that posting is completely broken now that I've switched to a Lumia 930 running 8.1

The text box is the wrong size, and when you attempt to post something it will randomly change the cursor position mid word so that parts of your words appear elsewhere in the post, or collapse the text box.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I am 99% sure it has to do with the new grenade icons, if you go to the desktop, next to the names of users that have platinum (mine should say AwfulPoster after I post this; edit: Yep). It did this when Ralp had his custom moperator icon too, a lumpy star that changed from gray to yellow.

Yeah, that's exactly it. He's searching for the type of user (Administrator, Mod, Author) and then getting the title from that. Where as mine works by happenstance, because I just get the Author div and don't check for the status of the user. I'm going to push up a fix for it to support plat users.

EDIT: And I just put in a pull request.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 16, 2014

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Ev posted:

Edit 2: Not seeing the problem in the other Awful reader.

Is there more than one? The only one I saw on the store and am using is Nathan Simpson's Awful.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

Is there more than one? The only one I saw on the store and am using is Nathan Simpson's Awful.

There's the one by Drastic Actions that I've taken to using a fair bit. I kinda go back and forth between the two.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What is the title of the app? Searching for Something Awful brings up some unrelated stuff and a slenderman book.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

CharlesM posted:

What is the title of the app? Searching for Something Awful brings up some unrelated stuff and a slenderman book.

Awful Forums Reader. It's a WinRT app, so it only works on Windows Phone 8.1.

I'm looking at the source code right now for Awful. and I have some ideas on how to improve it with the stuff I've done that should be simple enough to add. I'm also interested in backporting the Windows 8 version back to Windows Phone 8.1. I'm not sure if he's doing anything with it, since it's been untouched for a few months.

We'll see.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Drastic Actions posted:

I'm looking at the source code right now for Awful. and I have some ideas on how to improve it with the stuff I've done that should be simple enough to add. I'm also interested in backporting the Windows 8 version back to Windows Phone 8.1. I'm not sure if he's doing anything with it, since it's been untouched for a few months.

We'll see.

Ahhhh I don't have Phone 8.1 and I broke my Surface :(

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Speaking of which, drastic, how close are you to being done with that rewrite of your app/adding in that sample data (because I'm a lazy butt that doesn't like compiling things)? Mostly I really want to fix that bug where it jumps down the page when you hit next, refreshes the bookmarks every time you head back, and muck with the CSS and XAML.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well speak of the devil apparently 8.1 is available for my phone today. :v:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Speaking of which, drastic, how close are you to being done with that rewrite of your app/adding in that sample data (because I'm a lazy butt that doesn't like compiling things)? Mostly I really want to fix that bug where it jumps down the page when you hit next, refreshes the bookmarks every time you head back, and muck with the CSS and XAML.

The sample data has been there for quite some time. It should just appear in the designer. The refresh bookmarks issue is because I reload the entire view model when you go back to that view, rather than refresh that thread.

But Honestly, I'm thinking of just adding features and enhancing Awful. And drop my program. His core project is a lot cleaner then mine and is a true Plc. I'm going to look more into it tomorrow and see how hard it would be.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I prefer the aesthetics of Awful! but your Awful Forums reader has a much better posting interface, and a more attractive tile. and it properly supports 1080p screens. I do hope at some stage your reader is changed to take you back to where you were reading after you make a post, rather than jump straight to your new post; or at least if you decide to take over Awful! that you maintain this behavior.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I don't suppose Awful.WP7 could get an update to fix the poster name problem? It's by far my most used phone app and having it break is a real shame.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hob_Gadling posted:

I don't suppose Awful.WP7 could get an update to fix the poster name problem? It's by far my most used phone app and having it break is a real shame.

Why is it that when you use IE all the fonts are different sizes??

But Bootleg Robot has not posted in a few months.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Drastic Actions posted:

That explains why I only see one in the store. Release 8.1 for the Icon already, Verizon. :argh:

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

That explains why I only see one in the store. Release 8.1 for the Icon already, Verizon. :argh:

Developer preview?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I just noticed that Bootleg made a winRT version of his app as well... It's really good, I particularly like the way it keeps bookmarks open in a panel on one side. I'm using it on my desktop, and It actually looks better than the forums in a regular browser. Having a panel on one side keeps the text in an easily readable column, unlike Awful forums reader which spreads it right across the screen.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

I just noticed that Bootleg made a winRT version of his app as well... It's really good, I particularly like the way it keeps bookmarks open in a panel on one side. I'm using it on my desktop, and It actually looks better than the forums in a regular browser. Having a panel on one side keeps the text in an easily readable column, unlike Awful forums reader which spreads it right across the screen.

My biggest problems with his Windows 8 app was the post view was a very very simple flyout. I changed that earlier today to match mine

If I have time I'll keep working on it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

My biggest problems with his Windows 8 app was the post view was a very very simple flyout. I changed that earlier today to match mine

If I have time I'll keep working on it.

Yes that is better.

Sleepy Sip
Jul 5, 2014

Stormyish posted:

Something sticky is afoot

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
uhh thanks for the quote to byob.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm running a Nokia Icon on Windows Phone 8, and have not read every post in this thread, so apologies in advance if these issues have been discussed before.

1. When selecting a bookmark, it takes me to the last post on the last page I read, rather than the first post I didn't read.
My workaround has been to take the number of unread posts (which are reported accurately), and use "Jump to Post", counting backwards. This only works if I'm only one page behind, of course.
2. Most usernames are simply "AwfulPoster". User avatars are always accurate, however.
3. This may be a Windows Phone 8 thing, but if I tap the Awful tile after returning to Start, it takes me back to Bookmarks, rather than the last place I was in in whatever thread I was in.

Small grips aside, thanks to the OP for creating this app.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

I'm running a Nokia Icon on Windows Phone 8, and have not read every post in this thread, so apologies in advance if these issues have been discussed before.

1. When selecting a bookmark, it takes me to the last post on the last page I read, rather than the first post I didn't read.
My workaround has been to take the number of unread posts (which are reported accurately), and use "Jump to Post", counting backwards. This only works if I'm only one page behind, of course.
2. Most usernames are simply "AwfulPoster". User avatars are always accurate, however.
3. This may be a Windows Phone 8 thing, but if I tap the Awful tile after returning to Start, it takes me back to Bookmarks, rather than the last place I was in in whatever thread I was in.

Small grips aside, thanks to the OP for creating this app.

1. Your settings on SA are wrong for the app, read the second post of the thread.
2. Bug due to rework of SA with the little icons next to everyones name. Unfortunately Bootleg is MIA so it is unclear whether it will get fixed.
3. I think this is the standard way in WP8, if you want to return to the previous state long-hold back and go back that way.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

2. Bug due to rework of SA with the little icons next to everyones name. Unfortunately Bootleg is MIA so it is unclear whether it will get fixed.

Are you sure this is actually the cause? That sounds really weird to me considering the forums html basically didn't change. It was pretty much just a CSS change to add those icons.

Disclaimer: I don't have a Windows phone and have never actually used the app, but I do contribute to the iOS Awful app so I'm at least somewhat familiar with scraping the forums.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Diabolik900 posted:

Are you sure this is actually the cause? That sounds really weird to me considering the forums html basically didn't change. It was pretty much just a CSS change to add those icons.

Disclaimer: I don't have a Windows phone and have never actually used the app, but I do contribute to the iOS Awful app so I'm at least somewhat familiar with scraping the forums.

This directly broke it. He was checking for very specific CSS classes so he could identify each user (Normal user, Admin, Mod, and so on). This was a new type that he did not have, so it took it as an error, did not bother parsing the name and set it to a default.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ouch. I'm not judging because I've made plenty of dumb mistakes myself, but it sucks to see such an easily preventable error break things.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Diabolik900 posted:

Ouch. I'm not judging because I've made plenty of dumb mistakes myself, but it sucks to see such an easily preventable error break things.

I try to guess which parts of the markup are least likely to change or stop working, then I still gently caress it up anyway.

Hey Drastic Actions, I think you're the only one here right now with the skills and interest to fix up Awful.xap. Maybe if you patch it up and send a submittable binary to bootleg robot, something they can just sign and submit, y'all can get a fix going.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

I try to guess which parts of the markup are least likely to change or stop working, then I still gently caress it up anyway.

Hey Drastic Actions, I think you're the only one here right now with the skills and interest to fix up Awful.xap. Maybe if you patch it up and send a submittable binary to bootleg robot, something they can just sign and submit, y'all can get a fix going.

I did send a patch. He never accepted it. Also he's the only one that can make a submittable package; he has the cert keys. I could always upload my own version to the store with the fix though. :shrug:

EDIT: But as more people go from Windows Phone 8 to 8.1, they are going to see other issues. The silverlight webview in 8.1 is foobar-ed, as it were, and scrolls like poo poo. My app is fully WinRT and works fine, and has quite a few more features than his, but his is more stable at the moment.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 11, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

I did send a patch. He never accepted it. Also he's the only one that can make a submittable package; he has the cert keys. I could always upload my own version with the fix though. :shrug:

Right. I was thinking the next step: present bootleg robot with a package that's submittable with as little work as possible on his part. For example, if it was an iOS app, I would send a compiled .iap that just needed to be resigned and submitted.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

Right. I was thinking the next step: present bootleg robot with a package that's submittable with as little work as possible on his part. For example, if it was an iOS app, I would send a compiled .iap that just needed to be resigned and submitted.

You can't. As far as I know, he has to build the whole thing himself, with his keys. I can either build it for the store, or build one not for the store. You can't add the certs after the fact.

As far as I know.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Drastic Actions posted:

You can't. As far as I know, he has to build the whole thing himself, with his keys. I can either build it for the store, or build one not for the store. You can't add the certs after the fact.

As far as I know.

Well I'll just stop pontificating about Windows Phone development then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwelveBaud
Jun 6, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Well I'll just stop pontificating about Windows Phone development then!
Eh, the packaging is completely different, and the punctuation is a bit off, but ultimately the code we write and the code you write looks very much the same in the end.

Keep on keepin' on, goon sir!

• Locked thread