Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Smekerman posted:

Oh come on. Sketchy? Sketchy implies they're loving over their customers and not delivering in some way. The only complaints I've heard about them is in regards to RoF DLC and I got most of that poo poo in a 75% off sale, which seemed more than reasonable to me. Three DLCs were also in a fairly popular bundle. Yeah, selling field mods is kinda nickle & diming, but to call it "sketchy" is a pretty huge stretch, imo. And it's not like they do shoddy work, RoF is a pretty loving awesome flight sim.
The DLC stuff isn't sketchy, the west is way worse about that kind of thing. What's sketchy is crap like blaming Valve for them not being able to provide Steam keys when no western dev has any such difficulty, or their blaming Oculus VR for them not releasing Rift support (which they've given multiple working demos of to reporters, beginning almost a year ago, to say nothing of the fact that the software integration tools are free and every indie's dog has them working), or, as discussed in my post, boasting about how they're going to do a totally new expansion pack oriented business model and then immediately offering individual planes for sale.

Don't get me long, I love 777's work. There's no doubt that they're the best in the combat flightsim industry right now, and even without comparing them to their embarassingly poor competition they do good development. I just wish they weren't so Russian about it.

Artless Meat posted:

Their reasoning from what I heard is that the 190 and LA5 weren't actually fighting in Stalingrad, so they're just extra bonus planes you can buy. I'm guessing they'll probably do both, have expansions with extra premium planes that were introduced shortly after whatever the expansion is covering.
They always have excuses for their screwy decisions. I suspect they're usually invented after the fact.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

Artless Meat posted:

Their reasoning from what I heard is that the 190 and LA5 weren't actually fighting in Stalingrad, so they're just extra bonus planes you can buy. I'm guessing they'll probably do both, have expansions with extra premium planes that were introduced shortly after whatever the expansion is covering.

You were asking me about taking off in in Fw 190 and I didn't know how, but I found this video that might be of use. Of course BoS isn't that complex, but you can pick out the relevant information. (By the way, DCS looks incredible.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArgtdYGiuaI

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ralith posted:

I just wish they weren't so Russian about it.

They don't do that russian-dev thing where they seem all cordial and nice, then someone makes a mild criticism and they lose their poo poo at warp factor 11, do they?

I've seen so many smalltime russian devs that are all "Hey, hope you enjoy game!", someone comes along and goes "It's a pretty good game, but the mouse movement on the UI is slightly sluggish.", and then all of a sudden the dev is all "Why you GIANT FUCKHEAD?! You go die in mothers vagina! American scum make me sick! You develop game if it's so easy. GO gently caress!"

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They don't do that russian-dev thing where they seem all cordial and nice, then someone makes a mild criticism and they lose their poo poo at warp factor 11, do they?

I've seen so many smalltime russian devs that are all "Hey, hope you enjoy game!", someone comes along and goes "It's a pretty good game, but the mouse movement on the UI is slightly sluggish.", and then all of a sudden the dev is all "Why you GIANT FUCKHEAD?! You go die in mothers vagina! American scum make me sick! You develop game if it's so easy. GO gently caress!"

No, they just have a business model that doesn't suit Ralith, I guess? :shrug:

But yeah I'm with you all about the anti-"selling planes individually at a high price" stuff like with RoF; although come on, let's give them a chance to actually start selling post-release/-"deluxe edition" content before jumping to conclusions, here. They're basically just allowing people to buy one/both of the deluxe edition aircraft if you suddenly feel the urge to after buying the regular edition, rather than locking them down to people who are willing to go out on a limb and spend more initially. (but yeah I do agree that it's a touch steep in pricing...)

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

zwdzk posted:

You were asking me about taking off in in Fw 190 and I didn't know how, but I found this video that might be of use. Of course BoS isn't that complex, but you can pick out the relevant information. (By the way, DCS looks incredible.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArgtdYGiuaI

Thanks. I figured it out eventually. It's probably not the right way, but I just keep tapping the right brake as I drift to the left until I get enough airflow over the rudder. It usually works.

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

Artless Meat posted:

Thanks. I figured it out eventually. It's probably not the right way, but I just keep tapping the right brake as I drift to the left until I get enough airflow over the rudder. It usually works.
Definitely not the right way. Using brakes on takeoff is a big no-no, particularly in a tailwheel aircraft. At least in the sim, you probably won't get punished for doing it nearly as easily as you would in a real aircraft.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Wait, what happened with DCS:WWII? Is it actually a real project?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Smekerman posted:

Is $8.50 such a horrible price to ask for a full-fledged plane at full price?

No that's reasonable. But so is me wa iting for a 50/75% off sale to buy it, despite how much I wanna get my Willy Coppens on.

However, the Fw-190 and La-5 are $20 each on steam, not $8.50. That is what worries me, that they're setting the trend for future BoS releases on steam instead of RoF style DLC packs/mini-expansions.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Bubbacub posted:

Wait, what happened with DCS:WWII? Is it actually a real project?

From memory, they used all their money up really quickly on some dumb stuff and then ditched the project forcing ED to take it up at great cost. Or something. Anyway I understand that to be the reason we have k4 and 190 modules coming though. If nothing else, at least it gives the P51 some stuff to do.

edit: ED is the company, DCS is the product. Got them mixed up.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 11, 2014

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003
Essentially, ED took it over, and is gradually releasing components of the project as modules, thus leading to the 109 and 190 as Shanakin mentioned. Other planes (Spitfire, P-47, and Me-262) and the Normandy map will continue to gradually roll out alongside everything else they are working on (EDGE, Nevada, L-39, F/A-18C, etc.).

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shanakin posted:

From memory, they used all their money up really quickly on some dumb stuff and then ditched the project forcing ED to take it up at great cost.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=125454

They burned through the kickstarter cash and couldn't finish the project, so ED stepped in. It seems that higher tier backers got burned. Oleg can't catch a break at this point (I am being charitable).

Amusingly, they stated that the Kickstarter would never have produced the money they needed to finish in something RRGs lawyers might have termed 'fraud' had they existed. You'll notice how ED doesn't want to get into discussions, but effectively taking money for a product that you _know_ can't be finished has some very specific law surrounding it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Major Isoor posted:

No, they just have a business model that doesn't suit Ralith, I guess? :shrug:
I'm explicitly not complaining about their business model :confused:

The problem is, again, their bullshit excuses for failing to deliver on stuff that non-russian devs have no issues with.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

MagnumHB posted:

Definitely not the right way. Using brakes on takeoff is a big no-no, particularly in a tailwheel aircraft. At least in the sim, you probably won't get punished for doing it nearly as easily as you would in a real aircraft.

I'm not sure if my Logitech is just making GBS threads out on me finally, but even with full right rudder and slowly moving the throttle, I still swing way to the left.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

e: nm

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Artless Meat posted:

I'm not sure if my Logitech is just making GBS threads out on me finally, but even with full right rudder and slowly moving the throttle, I still swing way to the left.

Test the axis in the control panel. If it's just the FW-190, it's because the thing is a beast to taxi. I have to basically drag the right brake and haul back on the stick until the automatic tailwheel lock engages. Apparently you're supposed to switch the FW to manual prop control and go full coarse pitch when you taxi, it cuts back on the intrinsic yaw created by the prop.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug
Managed to get some Saitek pedals off of Ebay for about 85 bucks, and I have to say that these make even more of a difference. Every piece of gear I buy makes the experience exponentially more enjoyable.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Ralith posted:

Okay, since Joven's off having a life, I'll step up. I propose that we have an
:siren: IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad dogfight on Sunday the 14th at 12PM Pacific (3PM Eastern) :siren:
on one of the public servers. Please state your preferences for difficulty normal (icons on, automatic-by-default engine management) vs. expert (no icons at all, manual pitch/mixture/radiators) in advance, and we'll just go with whatever the majority prefers. Meet up on the airgoons mumble.
Anybody? :smith:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ralith posted:

Anybody? :smith:

Crap, I thought this was going to be later in the evening. I'm up for some shoot though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ralith asked me to post this. If you guys could chime in that'd be awesome.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/10559-control-input-text-and-target-icons/

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Session summary: God drat this game is beautiful. The sky shading and the contrails you get at high altitude are near photorealistic. There's also enough ground detail that navigating by map is actually pretty easy--towns show up really clearly against the snowfields, and the map matches their shape exactly, so "that L shaped town near the river" is actually enough information to locate yourself precisely. I managed to find my way back to the airfield and land after every flight that I survived.

We do need to find some less spergy servers/missions. On a server of 50+ people almost everyone was flying long-range bombing runs as germans, and most fights consisted of finding nothing at all and then being suddenly overwhelmed. Hopefully some co-op missions will be available pretty quick after release.

I was pretty pleased when I managed to kill two pubbies in a row just by out-maneuvering them right into the ground, though.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Yeah, Navigation wasn't too bad, though I wish the kneeboard-map was more useful; it's too zoomed out and the icons are gigantic.

That being said, I think I'm a bit too much of a pussy for no-icon planes. I can't see poo poo and I'm bad enough at this game. Also Joven, I posted in your thread.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
Just had another try at BoS after waiting for all the planes to be in (I tried it back before the La-5 was in) It still runs pretty terribly on my PC. Only like 20 fps on the "low" setting. Going to upgrade my PC soon anyway. Probably going to start doing research this weekend.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
For those who got the game from GOG, as soon as I installed IL-2 1946 I moved the main folder from my C Drive to the D one, but the separate patch file you download refuses to patch the game unless it is on that specific adress in my C drive.

Any way to change it?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
Lipstick Apathy
Try searching for old install path in regedit and changing it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
:siren: IL-2 BOS AND/OR ANOTHER SIM THIS SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 21 AT 1030 AM CDT :siren:

I have no idea what we're doing but it's going to be fun.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So, BoS added engine control information to the HUD, like we had asked in the thread. It's fairly apparently they had it in the works, so that's great. The icons are still kinda crap but I have hope that is in the works too.

One very nice feature is that when your plane has auto radiator/prop/mix, there's an icon on the HUD to let you know.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
Where are my god drat IR leds? They should already be here! I want to tinker my own tracking clip! Everything's ready to go, it's just the LEDs that are missing :smith:

Also, I just created 4 different IL-2 1946 installations (vanilla, HSFX, UP3 [redundant], DBW) and oh boy is this easier than trying to juggle between all four in JSGME*. Seriously, create parallel installations for your mods. The hard drive space shouldn't be a limiting factor nowadays if you have a newish rig, but DBW stands at 15Gb and HSFX7 at 12Gb.

*This inevitably leads to mods becoming an unmanageable mess

Your controls are saved in /Users/[enter pilot name here, default is "doe"]/settings.ini so you can just copy-paste it all over the place. Doesn't work 100 % but is much easier than setting up everything.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
I just constructed my own LED tracker clip! This is seriously really, really easy and cheap - depending on what you have at hand. I tested it in War Thunder (IL2 DBW - DCG seems to crash, gotta fix those .inis) and it really helps. Suck it, 109G!

I used:
1 PS3 Eye Camera + CL-Eye Drivers (apparently most modern webcams are good enough for this, Eye offers high FPS which some people say is pretty important, and there are good instructions on how to remove the IR filter)
3 Osram SFH485P IR-leds. These have good viewing angle and are considered "The" LED you should pick up. I am somewhat skeptical, and assume most IR leds are good enough, if you ramp up mA and/or use styrofoam as diffuser
3xAA battery holder (jerry-rigged)
Wire, electric tape, soldering iron + tin, whatever that makes a frame

I installed the leds in serial, did not use a resistor (this was a mistake), since 3xAA gives 4,5V which is the forward voltage of the LEDs. So they blast at 100mA, which is too much, 50 or 75mA would be good.

Then I ripped off the IR filter from PS3Eye (this was horrible and took over 30 minutes) and installed a visible light filter using an old floppy disk. Some people set it up when they remove the IR filter, but I used an external filter made from cardboard, floppy and electric tape. Set up FaceTrackNoIR (Opentrack seems good too, haven't used it yet).

Once you have the parts ready, constructing a clip takes about an hour, but experienced people say it takes 15 minutes. I'm not experienced. It's easy and cheap. Parallel build constructions involve two times the soldering, but seem a better solution.

Picture of the wonderful creation

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Since I now got my X55/trackir5 I want to play this game as well. Are goons still playing it regulary?

Azran posted:

For those who got the game from GOG, as soon as I installed IL-2 1946 I moved the main folder from my C Drive to the D one, but the separate patch file you download refuses to patch the game unless it is on that specific adress in my C drive.

Any way to change it?

That generally doesn't work since old games liked to be very liberal with regestry entries. And looking for them will be a crapshoot since you never know how many there are. Reinstall if you really need to.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 4, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Re: Battle of Stalingrad

JerikTelorian posted:

So, BoS added engine control information to the HUD, like we had asked in the thread. It's fairly apparently they had it in the works, so that's great. The icons are still kinda crap but I have hope that is in the works too.

One very nice feature is that when your plane has auto radiator/prop/mix, there's an icon on the HUD to let you know.

They've added the single player campaign as well, as of Friday, and are suggesting that it's 90% complete with a release date of November 1st. Starting a 'short' mission will start you off in auto-everything, which is nice.

I can confirm that you can chop the tail off a Ju87, but your Lagg becomes a terrible glider. I'm enjoying it so far. The planes feel a lot more weighty and 'realistic'.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670413

Il2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad thread. NEw info will start roll out soon since release is closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Seeing as the 1946 group is mostly going to be playing BoS I'm going to put this thread on ice and post events in the new one.

Odds are it'll be mostly BoS but if it proves to lack enough content out of the box to hold interest for long sessions I'll be keeping 1946 as a fallback.

Steam group is the same.

I'll be back home in a few weeks and will be hosting again, mostly on Sundays like last year.

• Locked thread