Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Discomancer posted:

State Route 57, south of Maybell

Hello new wallpaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927215 I'm in for a set of these, excited to see how they turn out.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

I actually rode up there with botchedlobotomy one day and asked about it, they said that's per vehicle but for motorcycles, it's basically as many as you can fit in a campsite for $45, split it 3 ways, boom. $15 a pop.

I know it is late, but I can highly recommend nacimento rd for free dispersed camping in between San Fran and LA.

In fact, I am leaving in the morning from Oregon to ride the entire coastline down that way myself, so expect pictures, and maybe video, if the GoPro decides to work.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I postponed my Montana trip because my friend flaked and "forgot". It finally got to the point where I said "gently caress it" and am now just taking a two day solo trip out to Grand Coulee dam. I'll be camping at Steamboat Rock State Park for a night then heading home the next day. It's five and a half hours to get there on the route I'm taking there (doing Chinook Pass since I've done the others) and only three and a half back. I'll have time to set up camp, have some time to relax, check out the dam, get some sleep, have a late rise and head home.

Here's my route out:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/352...2d47.871385!3e0

Only 273 miles. I expect to do it in about six without a lunch stop. Headed out Sunday morning and should return early evening on Monday.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Have an awesome time, and be careful!

justincredible
Mar 26, 2014

just too incredible
Im planning on setting up a Motorcycle camping trip and im just wondering what aresome of the MUST haves that you would say are needed from past experiences? I mean i know a sleeping bag, tent, etc. but what else?

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I'd say, while not specific to camping, some kind of tire patch/inflation kit, plus something like a battery jump-starter in case something goes wrong with your bike.

Camping-specific, I like having a multi-tool (or just a good Swiss army-style knife) in case you need to cut or clip anything. Some TP. A trowel (if you're camping rough, obviously less useful if you'll have a proper toilet). Some Crazy Dr. Bronner's soap (great for dishes, your person, etc.) in a travel-size bottle. When we go out somewhere remote, we have a water filter and dehydrated food.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Get a valve stem tool. I went out to my bike this morning to a flat front. My valve stem was loose. Luckily Ace Hardware was open and they had a stem tool for $3. A compact air compressor really helps too. I'd be stuck without either of those right now. Instead, I'm waiting for my flautas in Ephrata.

justincredible
Mar 26, 2014

just too incredible
thanks for the tips!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A tire plug kit, safety wire, and some extra oil are good things to have.

justincredible
Mar 26, 2014

just too incredible

clutchpuck posted:

A tire plug kit, safety wire, and some extra oil are good things to have.

thanks again

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

justincredible posted:

Im planning on setting up a Motorcycle camping trip and im just wondering what aresome of the MUST haves that you would say are needed from past experiences? I mean i know a sleeping bag, tent, etc. but what else?

1) A backup plan, if your route is too muddy/washed out, or traffic sucks and you want to say "gently caress it", or if you didn't get a lot of sleep or whatever
2) Spare water purifier tablets (like Aqua Mira), since a lot of camping is dry
3) Something to drink water on the road and stay hydrated. STAY HYDRATED. It's harder than you think.
4) Warm enough clothes for the morning that you can still ride (layered under or over your clothes). You'll shed these as the day warms up.
5) Portable tire pump, possibly a set of mini jumper cables (never had to use them, but hey, I've got it if I need it!)
6) A spare set of keys
7) Rain gear
8) Cash in various increments--you can't always dispersed camp, and a lot of campgrounds are cash-only
9) A decent bottle of whisky, so if you forget something, you can always head over to someone else's camp and offer them a few fingers of whiskey for, say, a plastic fork. Sure, most people will give it to you if you ask, but it's a good icebreaker.
10) Extra earplugs
11) Wipe cloth for your visor
12) A small camp towel and Doc Bronner's, so you can actually take advantage of a shower when you find one.

A few things I've noticed:
I tend not to stop and take a picture when on the road, which is something I want to get out of the habit of doing. I want to pull over for a minute to stretch and take a few photos a lot more often, without falling into the "just a few more miles" trap. If you see something interesting like a historical marker or point of interest, pull over and check it out really quick.

Put your stuff away in the same place, every time. Like, always put your keys in the exact same pocket, and put the same stuff in your left saddlebag every day so you know exactly where it is.

Stop more frequently. Drink more water. Snack more. Don't try to pack as many miles in a day as you'd like, because the time it takes on Google maps doesn't account for stopping, stretching, poor road conditions, taking pictures, etc.

Take out the earplugs more often at stops. One just to give them a break, but also because people don't have random conversations with you when stopped if you've got earplugs in.

If you leave it outside of your tent, check your helmet before you put it on. Feeling something crawling around in there is NOT a pleasant experience in the morning.

If you put a Camelbak at the bottom of your tankbag like I do, put all the other stuff in your tankbag in a big shopping bag, so it's easy to remove and refill the Camelbak.

justincredible
Mar 26, 2014

just too incredible

Discomancer posted:

1) A backup plan, if your route is too muddy/washed out, or traffic sucks and you want to say "gently caress it", or if you didn't get a lot of sleep or whatever
2) Spare water purifier tablets (like Aqua Mira), since a lot of camping is dry
3) Something to drink water on the road and stay hydrated. STAY HYDRATED. It's harder than you think.
4) Warm enough clothes for the morning that you can still ride (layered under or over your clothes). You'll shed these as the day warms up.
5) Portable tire pump, possibly a set of mini jumper cables (never had to use them, but hey, I've got it if I need it!)
6) A spare set of keys
7) Rain gear
8) Cash in various increments--you can't always dispersed camp, and a lot of campgrounds are cash-only
9) A decent bottle of whisky, so if you forget something, you can always head over to someone else's camp and offer them a few fingers of whiskey for, say, a plastic fork. Sure, most people will give it to you if you ask, but it's a good icebreaker.
10) Extra earplugs
11) Wipe cloth for your visor
12) A small camp towel and Doc Bronner's, so you can actually take advantage of a shower when you find one.

A few things I've noticed:
I tend not to stop and take a picture when on the road, which is something I want to get out of the habit of doing. I want to pull over for a minute to stretch and take a few photos a lot more often, without falling into the "just a few more miles" trap. If you see something interesting like a historical marker or point of interest, pull over and check it out really quick.

Put your stuff away in the same place, every time. Like, always put your keys in the exact same pocket, and put the same stuff in your left saddlebag every day so you know exactly where it is.

Stop more frequently. Drink more water. Snack more. Don't try to pack as many miles in a day as you'd like, because the time it takes on Google maps doesn't account for stopping, stretching, poor road conditions, taking pictures, etc.

Take out the earplugs more often at stops. One just to give them a break, but also because people don't have random conversations with you when stopped if you've got earplugs in.

If you leave it outside of your tent, check your helmet before you put it on. Feeling something crawling around in there is NOT a pleasant experience in the morning.

If you put a Camelbak at the bottom of your tankbag like I do, put all the other stuff in your tankbag in a big shopping bag, so it's easy to remove and refill the Camelbak.

i appreciate the helpful advice!

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!
I went camping in central Wyoming this weekend. There isn't much there, but there aren't any people and that's what I was looking for. Got to see the Milky Way at night, and hundreds of antelope in small herds along the way, since there weren't enough people out there to scare them off, except a few ranchers since it was open range land. Plenty of water crossings, which are tons of fun to splash through like a four year old. It just felt great to get away and not have to deal with traffic or people for a weekend, which more than makes up for the lack of rayelin twisties.

This was through Medicine Bow National Forest, then on to Seminoe Dam, and the Bighorn Scenic Byway. http://goo.gl/maps/THZ6J

This is actually part of a scenic byway. A for-real designated scenic byway.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Here are some pictures from my Grand Coulee Dam Trip:

Mt. Rainier

Columbia River

Campsite

Grand Coulee Dam

View from the Campsite

All in all, the Chinook pass was good, but I still prefer highway 20. The road is more fun, the views are better, and there are more opportunities for passing. The dam was pretty cool, but the best part was that I was there around 5:30 on a Sunday; there was no one in the parking lot. No screaming children. No throngs of people gathering for photos. Just me and some random couple playing fetch with their dog.

Oh, yes, I did have a loose valve core on the front tire. That sure was fun. I'm just glad I didn't have a puncture.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nice Caribous. Are those the 1550 models?

Wyoming is fantastic in its emptiness, I haven't been there in a couple years; should get back soon.

Pope Mobile posted:

All in all, the Chinook pass was good, but I still prefer highway 20.

My wife told me the same thing, apparently Chinook Pass was a let-down for her. I haven't done it yet.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

Columbia River

I've been at this exact pulloff and took almost exactly the same picture! :hf:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You can see the difference in water level between the two, with the current draw-down because of the broken Wanapum dam.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

clutchpuck posted:

Nice Caribous. Are those the 1550 models?

Wyoming is fantastic in its emptiness, I haven't been there in a couple years; should get back soon.

My wife told me the same thing, apparently Chinook Pass was a let-down for her. I haven't done it yet.
Yeah I think so, not 100% sure, since that was some prior-owner addition and they've been crashed into several times which has scraped off any identifying stickers that may have been on there.

The Coulee Dam looks fantastic. I used to live in WA, but never had a motorcycle when I did, 410 would make a great road outside of the busy weekend times. Have you been on Chesaw road up north? That would make a really scenic trip.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

M42 posted:

I've been at this exact pulloff and took almost exactly the same picture! :hf:

I've taken the same picture too. I grew up not far from there.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've taken the same picture too. I grew up not far from there.

I live not too far from there. Stay out.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Stay out as in "we're all inbred shitkickers here, beware" or as in "goons, stay the gently caress away from me and mine"?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Stay out as in "we're all inbred shitkickers here, beware" or as in "goons, stay the gently caress away from me and mine"?

A little from column A and a little from column B

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Hung out at Ohiopyle in PA, it's a nice area to ride in.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Pro level bike camping
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3QFPNUj_nw

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's hard for me to believe that people ever seriously said "it's so simple, even a woman can put it together!" without a hint of irony. Guess it shows how far we've come.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Those old timey voices always sound so sarcastic. I have a lot of trouble correctly deciphering that video.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
If that ad came out today, it'd have two hot chicks making out in the tent once they put it together. Also, the guy would probably say, "Bitches, amirite?" when they had problems putting it together.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
And then a Carl's Jr. logo at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

And then a Carl's Jr. logo at the end.

It's okay to show a hot woman giving a hamburger a drippy blowjob as long as she's in a corner office, and you avoid mentioning that she probably didn't assemble the desk chair.

• Locked thread