Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
My son loves playing the boss level of Swap Force over and over and he's super proud he can do it all by himself. The best part is Kaos calls him a "skyloser" and he's all like "I'm not a skyloser, I'm a skywinner!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Should somebody make a new thread for the new game since the OP of this one is pretty out of date and stuff, plus it could maybe generate more discussion for the upcoming game or the current one?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

It'll still average a reply rate of once every three weeks or so, why bother :v:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
My nephew is getting this game for his birthday. Should I just get any figure, a bunch of different ones or one really good out of print one? I have no idea what any of this is. Any super OP unbalanced figurines I should get him?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV bought, thank you. I miss zephyr and flux

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 26, 2014

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Molybdenum posted:

My nephew is getting this game for his birthday. Should I just get any figure, a bunch of different ones or one really good out of print one? I have no idea what any of this is. Any super OP unbalanced figurines I should get him?

Hoot Loop is my favourite character so far; he's ranged, can slow things, and doesn't overlap with any of the elements/abilities that the starting people have.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I have a flocked Stump Smash from some frito-lay contest thing. Is this guy worth selling or not worth the hassle?

This dude:

(not my picture)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

5er posted:

It'll still average a reply rate of once every three weeks or so, why bother :v:

I dunno, I just figured an updated thread might draw in more people.

Some of the new skylanders look pretty neat.

Snapshot

Chopper

Funny Bone

The others look just kinda eh and meh, like these two.

Wildfire

Wallop

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Here's a nice deal: Sheep Wreck Island sold by Amazon for $16.15.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
For those interested, it looks like the sequel to Disney Infinity is getting announced here.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Behonkiss posted:

For those interested, it looks like the sequel to Disney Infinity is getting announced here.

Wasn't expecting to see MODOK in there.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

Chopper is just so cute, why can't it be one of the pack-ins instead of Food Fight? Everyone likes dinosaurs. Everyone :3:!

Apparently the trap objects aren't character specific and are instead element specific. It's not as flexible as it could be but is loving leagues better than making each trap tie to a single enemy as the trailer seemed to suggest. Personally I'd have preferred standard figures instead of the 'trap matrix' but it would destroy the narrative. Buying an entirely new portal is not an attractive prospect nor is having characters downloaded to a glorified data stick instead of having a proper figure. Nope, no Sheep or Chompy Mage figures, just their digital sooooouls trapped in clear acrylic. Bah.

I'll do what I usually do, pick up the singles that I like and wait for the game to go on sale. Swap Force Dark Edition was an exception and warranted a pre-order (Dark Slobber Tooth :neckbeard:) but waiting for discounts seems the sensible thing to do. Even if they do a Dark Edition this time there is only so much enthusiasm to be had for an evil-looking black artichoke.

I still need to use the Sheep Wreck Island's magical attack to see if it rains sheep. The accessories in that pack aren't as useful as some since they don't deal direct damage but the level itself is good and the clockwork robot has a neat skill set and is cute as a button. The Tower of Time is alright but it lacks the element of sheepy doom :3:.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SassyRobot posted:

Chopper is just so cute, why can't it be one of the pack-ins instead of Food Fight? Everyone likes dinosaurs. Everyone :3:!

Apparently the trap objects aren't character specific and are instead element specific. It's not as flexible as it could be but is loving leagues better than making each trap tie to a single enemy as the trailer seemed to suggest. Personally I'd have preferred standard figures instead of the 'trap matrix' but it would destroy the narrative. Buying an entirely new portal is not an attractive prospect nor is having characters downloaded to a glorified data stick instead of having a proper figure. Nope, no Sheep or Chompy Mage figures, just their digital sooooouls trapped in clear acrylic. Bah.

I'll do what I usually do, pick up the singles that I like and wait for the game to go on sale. Swap Force Dark Edition was an exception and warranted a pre-order (Dark Slobber Tooth :neckbeard:) but waiting for discounts seems the sensible thing to do. Even if they do a Dark Edition this time there is only so much enthusiasm to be had for an evil-looking black artichoke.

I still need to use the Sheep Wreck Island's magical attack to see if it rains sheep. The accessories in that pack aren't as useful as some since they don't deal direct damage but the level itself is good and the clockwork robot has a neat skill set and is cute as a button. The Tower of Time is alright but it lacks the element of sheepy doom :3:.

At least the crystals can be used to store up to 4 enemies from what I've heard. Some of the trappable enemies so far are pretty cool. I like Chill Bill from what little we've seen of him mainly for his voice (You can see him here and the rest of the video has some neat gameplay footage too but is narrated by a kind of annoying dude).

I also really like Shrenaught's design.

It just looks so dumb and doofy and clunky for what's meant to be a chainsaw tank. :allears:

I don't even have any of the skylanders games, hoping to pick up a ps3 at some point and swap force for it when my fiancee and I can get the starter pack for cheap. I guess for now I just like looking at the new character designs.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Now is the time to (maybe) buy into Disney: Infinity!

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-000...e3-5288bac856d0

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
It looks like Trap Team is coming to tablets (the same day as the console versions) with its own controller for $75:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MG38CG8

http://www.skylanders.com/trapteam (The Tablet Edition is next to the Dark Edition)

This is the full game and it includes:

- 1 Video Game (Download required - No additional purchase needed)
- 1 Wireless Traptanium Portal, 1- Wireless Game Controller
- 2 Skylanders Figures
- 2 Traps, 1-Trap Collection Tray
- 1 Character Collector Poster
- 2 Sticker Sheets with Secret Codes
- 2 Trading Cards
- 5 AAA Batteries

Amazon lists these as the supported tablets:

Kindle Fire HDX (7” & 8.9”)
iPad 3rd Generation, iPad 4th Generation, iPad Mini Retina, iPad Air
Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro (8.4”, 10.1”, 12.2”)
Samsung Galaxy Tab S (8.4”, 10.5”)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Galaxy Note Pro 12.2

This was one of the biggest announcements at Gamescom in my opinion. If this is successful for just the youth demographic, then it could have a huge impact on the future of console gaming. You have to wonder if Activision is using it as a testbed for their other games, most notably Call of Duty.

This also reminds me of the days of Tiger Electronics for some reason.

Sunning fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 14, 2014

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

We are nearly a month after the release of what might be the critically best received iteration of the Skylanders, and goons haven't said poo poo. I'm going to assume the same people that would have it, blew their wallet on Disney Marvel and are saving Skylanders for their kids for Christmas.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I kinda want to wait until the starter set gets cheap because I'm kinda annoyed I have to buy all the trap masters if I want to open all the areas. Not to mention the fact that the reviews say that older figures feel weak in the game compared to the new ones. Then I'd probably want to get one of each trap crystal too...

I haven't exhausted the huge amount of content in Swap Force yet, so I'll wait for like a buy 1 get 1 sale.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna buy some amiibos

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

Fine, I'll bite for the console version :mad:.

Elemental gates are still around and are restricted to non-Trap Masters. To get every chest and hat you need a matching trap master from each element plus two to match new 'mystery' gates. These are Light and Dark. There are a few catchable baddies that will require traps from these elements as well. Absolutely nothing from the two new elements is currently available so I guess it's something to look forward to :confuoot:?

Sidekicks have been rebranded as 'minis', tiny playable versions of existing characters. Their skill trees are (nearly?) identical to that of their larger counterparts. Minis are generally a pain to work with due to their lack of attack range but are really, really cute. Most importantly, the old sidekick figures work, too. Eyesmall is probably the most adorably stupid of the lot, summoning tiny squeaky bouncy eyeball minions and detaching from his body to shoot lasers :3:. They're like a self-inflicted handicap and they'd be painful to use on nightmare difficulty but who could refuse an itty-bitty robot dragon?

Other new additions include a really cringeworthy-but-optional Parappa the Rapper ripoff, a shallow version of Hearthstone and cosmetic accessories. Portal Master rank is back but rewards stage and arena completion instead of being hung up on owning lots of figures like it was in Swap Force. The shop's stock seems dictated by story progress instead of rank which is nice. The stages seem shorter but are more numerous. Personally I don't think the older figures are grossly underpowered compared to the few new ones I have. It's actually more friendly to giant characters since there are less segments involving being squished by blocks. The giants in Giants were constantly getting squished in places like the wilikin village.

If anyone has information about the 3DS version I'd love to know about it. I'm waiting for it to get discounted either way.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

SassyRobot posted:

I'm waiting for it to get discounted either way.

... And so it came to pass :toot:!

The 3DS game is... interesting so far. Trapping enemies doesn't require crystals but enemies aren't terribly useful so far. They're used as special attacks on a cooldown timer in normal stages and are only playable in short challenge missions specifically designed for them. Inactive villains do have an interesting side-purpose, however; they can be challenged to Skystones matches. They're supposed to possess unique stones which can be won off of 'em.

3DS Skystones is nearly identical to the version in Giants, albeit with new stones based on the enemies of Trap Team. There are multiplayer modes as well, although I haven't done anything with those yet since my deck still sucks.

Elemental gates in this version do not require a Trap Master to open which is pretty nice. There are breakable crystals here and there that any Trap Masters can smash to reveal chests and stuff. This game seems way less pushy in its effort to sell new figures to unlock content. As usual, the Trap Team adventure packs unlock additional levels although I haven't had the time to see if they're any good yet. Swap Force's Sheepwreck Island was abysmal so they're bound to be better :psyduck:.

So far the game itself is competent. It's not quite as solid as the first 3DS Skylanders game but seems on-par with Giants. Swap Force was super-fidgety during most swap challenges and no-hit boss runs could be failed due to projectiles hitting the player during the cutscene after the boss was defeated. Trap Team does have a problem with large characters falling through moving platforms here and there but it's not especially troublesome so far.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I kinda want to pick up a bunch of these things so I can play it with my 6 year old. Is anyone here looking to offload an old collection, or have any ideas on how to get a bunch for not too terribly much? I got the starter pack for the first game, ps3 version.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Chinook posted:

I kinda want to pick up a bunch of these things so I can play it with my 6 year old. Is anyone here looking to offload an old collection, or have any ideas on how to get a bunch for not too terribly much? I got the starter pack for the first game, ps3 version.

Gamestop is starting to push their preowned Skylanders, and I see a bunch of them for under $5. FYI Skylanders labeled "Series #" may work with your game, depending on the figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

FYI Skylanders labeled "Series #" may work with your game, depending on the figure.

Any series number of whoever is in the game will work fine. A new Mega Ram Spyro is as useable as an original Spyro-rear end Spyro. The Trap Team Gill Grunt will still work in the original game with no issues. Light core figures work fine, too, albeit they won't show up as being light cores in the original game. The only exception is for the Swap Force Dark Mega Ram Spyro. In older games he shows up as a normal series 2 Spyro instead of a series 1 Dark Spyro. It really doesn't matter much since Dark Spyro only plays differently from normal Spyro in the first 3DS game :confuoot:.

Getting used figures isn't a problem. Their data can be wiped if you want a fresh start. The only drawback is if you're wanting to play the iOS or Android games since each figure is supposed to have an individual serial code that can only be registered once (per game? I don't know :v:!). The codes used to work with a now-deceased web game, too. Progress in the web game could be written back to the figure and was recorded as a 'heroics' stat or something similar in the very first game but that stat doesn't affect anything.

The last time I bought some used figures at Gamestop they qualified for a used game discount promo which cut like 40% off of 'em. I don't know if that'll work next time there's a sale but it'd be great if you're starting out. All of their serial codes worked for the Lost Islands Android game, too, which was nice.

Anyhoo, I messed around with the Trap Team 3DS game and the level packs! The console versions of the levels are... okay. Midnight Museum is the better of the two, I think. The 3DS versions of the levels are really, really underwhelming. Sunspire is a series of arena fights, Midnight Museum is a timed 'break all objects' deal, Nightmare Express is an overlong empty-feeling corridor fest and Mirror of Mystery is mostly about poking locks with the touch screen. As extras they're not terrible. Skystones games are played only to gain new stones (three for matches in regular stages, one per villain). Online is pointless without an endgame 'deck'. The console editions are still the 'real' games and the portables are just kind of optional material to get more use out of your figures.

I am still happy as a clam about sidekicks/minis being playable in Trap Team. The old sidekicks work just like their contemporaries although there are minor cosmetic variations on the figures, like the quality of print for Eye-Small's eye. Those who missed out on the old ones aren't going to care, they'll probably just be happy enough getting a tiny squeaky fishman or teeny tree :3:.

• Locked thread