Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Disreputable Dog posted:

Probably the exact fonts you're after aren't digitized and lost to time.

I'm late to replying but thanks for this! I ended up just winging it. Most of it ended up as various Franklin Gothics with the Kan-Tro-Lite as a Tavern Open that I modified in a few spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

csammis posted:

I'm late to replying but thanks for this! I ended up just winging it. Most of it ended up as various Franklin Gothics with the Kan-Tro-Lite as a Tavern Open that I modified in a few spots.

The line weight on the K, T, and L should be the same as in the smaller letters.
:goonsay:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

is it just me or is every single thing right now in a big chunky seventies serif font? don't get me wrong – that's my favorite poo poo right there – but it's become really ubiquitous. I guess after years of nothing but sans serifs and cutesy handwritten fonts, big chunky serifs were bound to make a comeback. But drat it's like every single thing I see now.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I blame Burger King.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

I should really not spend my time after work doing joke versions of the thing I do at work.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The chunky serifs ARE nice

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

MokBa posted:

I should really not spend my time after work doing joke versions of the thing I do at work.

Whoa, is that some sort of extra weight version of Cooper Black?

The Coopest of Blacks

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Fuschia tude posted:

Whoa, is that some sort of extra weight version of Cooper Black?

The Coopest of Blacks

It is New Kansas Heavy. I just came across this typeface and fell in love because it's just Cooper but in 8 weights.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/KadamsEdits/status/1623335783296905222?t=2Exm6c5Hby3ipBN9X3wR5Q&s=19

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008
Are there any lesser known creative markets that sell/list fonts?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That could potentially encompass a large number of things, but makes me think of https://velvetyne.fr/ this place, which came up in the PMF Fonts thread that I have been neglecting to shepherd but will plug here.

EpicCareMadBitch
Dec 20, 2008

aniviron posted:

That could potentially encompass a large number of things, but makes me think of https://velvetyne.fr/ this place, which came up in the PMF Fonts thread that I have been neglecting to shepherd but will plug here.

Cool, that was what I was looking for, thanks.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Just want to make sure people know that if you pay for Creative Cloud, even at the $10/month Photoshop and Lightroom tier you get full access to Adobe Fonts which is easily the best value service they offer. Thousands and thousands of professional grade fonts with commercial licensing, though the interface does suck rear end.

Disreputable Dog
Dec 16, 2010

EpicCareMadBitch posted:

Are there any lesser known creative markets that sell/list fonts?

I'm a fan of fontstand and futurefonts.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Hey, font-thread. Got this place recommended in the small questions Ask/Tell thread.

I would like to do a small project for personal use (gift for a friend) that uses this image from an episode of Futurama:

I want to make a larger, higher-quality, version of the "Boring Geology Lecture" sign/image to turn into either a sticker or two, or just like a high-res print.

I will likely have to do that myself, but it's a simple enough design that I feel confident I can recreate in an editing program. I'm not a skilled graphic designer, but I think I can do two piecesof curve text, vertical text, and two vertical lines.

But the sticking issue is the font. I went to whatthefont.com and it suggested it's Posterama Pro 1933 which does seem close... not perfect, but likely close enough but it's listed there at $40 (Although I'm assuming WhattheFont is trying to overcharge me and it might be cheaper elsewhere or part of, like, an Adobe CC package?)

I just have regular Posterama on my machine, and it's not good enough, the lines are too thin, IMO.

So I guess two-fold question:
1) Does that indeed look to be Posterama 1933 Black
and 2) What's the easiest/cheapest way to get that font (or whatever font is actually is)

Thanks!

.random
May 7, 2007

Imo looks hand lettered - it’s really uneven, feels kind of inconsistent.

I think you can get a reasonable approximation with Tourmaline Bold, especially if you’re willing to edit a couple letters like that C:

https://www.dafont.com/tourmaline.font?text=BORING+GEOLOGY+LECTURE&psize=s

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

You could pay a goon in sa-mart or someone on fiverr not much money to just upscale that bit too

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone recognize this font?

https://static1.thegamerimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/like-a-dragon-gaiden-font-change.jpg

It's from Like a Dragon: Gaiden

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lmao did they finally graduate from Edo SZ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Lmao did they finally graduate from Edo SZ?

Probably for just this ONE game. I'd bet it goes back for Y8.