Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Cool Dad posted:

You're not the same guy who didn't think hieroglyphic translations were real are you?

come on dude why ya gotta chase him away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

School of How posted:

Its not so cut and dry. First off, the word they used to describe the eclipse translates to "twisted sun". I guess you could say thats an eclipse, but it could also be something else.

Do you think that is the only time the phrase is ever used? It might be ambiguous if that was the only time the term was ever attested, but we have thousands of Assyrian and Babylonian astronomical texts. Eclipses are discussed quite often in them, particularly in astronomical omen texts (where eclipses are bad news), so the meaning of the phrase is quite clear, based on many examples of its use.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

idk what else would happen to the sun other than a total eclipse that you would really ever notice or describe as "twisted". based on personal experience from the recent eclipse the light level doesn't even noticeably change until you hit like 85% occlusion! nobody's writing down lovely partials as major events, it would be safe to say the majority of partials in history were not even noticed even without factors like "it literally happened after sunset"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I dunno, with all the sun worship going on I imagine you had a lot of people who were very interested in what the sun was up to pretty much all the time.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

PittTheElder posted:

Have you seen a solar eclipse either at or near totality?

The 791 eclipse would have only been about 74% occlusion at Assur and also would have happened right around sunset on the Mediterranean coast, meaning the sun would have set over Mesopotamia. Frankly it's extremely unlikely it would have even been noticed.

E: like actually peep this map. You tell me a Syracusan wrote about the 791 eclipse I'll believe you, but not an Assyrian

annular eclipse is also not the same as a total eclipse. moon's too far away so it's angularly smaller than the sun.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

quote:

he words "shamash", meaning sun, and "akallu", which is translated as bent, twisted, distorted or obscured, has been interpreted as a solar eclipse.

I wonder why people interpreted this as meaning an eclipse. it's a mystery.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mr. Fix It posted:

annular eclipse is also not the same as a total eclipse. moon's too far away so it's angularly smaller than the sun.

Oh poo poo yeah I didn't even notice it was annular, I mean not that it makes that much difference so far away from the maximum eclipse path, but still gonna look like even less

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hieroglyphs are a psy-op by Big Wingdings

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno, with all the sun worship going on I imagine you had a lot of people who were very interested in what the sun was up to pretty much all the time.

I think whatever anyone's religion is, if you live on planet earth instead of a goon cave, you're very interested in what the sun is doing

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jazerus posted:

idk what else would happen to the sun other than a total eclipse that you would really ever notice or describe as "twisted".

Annular eclipse

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jazerus posted:

idk what else would happen to the sun other than a total eclipse that you would really ever notice or describe as "twisted".

Big dragon flying in front of it

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Kaal posted:

Apparently in geology they’re a fan of BP or Before Present. It’s not really standardized (and 74 After Present doesn’t make any sense) but they like setting the origin point at 1950 because that’s when atomic testing started changing the ambient radiation levels that get used for dating prehistoric rock samples and objects. There’s certainly worse time scales.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Before_Present

I've noticed this a lot in newer archaeological papers too, I suppose since that's related to geology but I feel like it's been catching on in recent years as some scholars want to move away from BC/AD but don't like BCE/CE either.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Koramei posted:

I've noticed this a lot in newer archaeological papers too, I suppose since that's related to geology but I feel like it's been catching on in recent years as some scholars want to move away from BC/AD but don't like BCE/CE either.

It's less because its related to geology and more because of the cultural baggage associated BC/AD.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Koramei posted:

I suspect part of the appeal is the sciencey element of relating your calendar and your archeological work to radiometrics. If you’re using carbon dating and providing the error margin then BP can be useful to clarify that’s what you’re doing. Though in truth, BP has only a limited relationship with carbon dating since the atomic testing had no impact on carbon decay that I’m aware of. On the other hand, if you’re relying on other evidence to establish an object’s age, or if you want to talk about a specific date, then other calendars are probably more appropriate.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 17, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I saw this from Tacitus linked in a discussion about deflation

quote:

Hence followed a scarcity of money, a great shock being given to all credit, the current coin too, in consequence of the conviction of so many persons and the sale of their property, being locked up in the imperial treasury or the public exchequer. To meet this, the Senate had directed that every creditor should have two-thirds of his capital secured on estates in Italy. Creditors however were suing for payment in full, and it was not respectable for persons when sued to break faith. So, at first, there were clamorous meetings and importunate entreaties; then noisy applications to the prætor's court. And the very device intended as a remedy, the sale and purchase of estates, proved the contrary, as the usurers had hoarded up all their money for buying land. The facilities for selling were followed by a fall of prices, and the deeper a man was in debt, the more reluctantly did he part with his property, and many were utterly ruined. The destruction of private wealth precipitated the fall of rank and reputation, till at last the emperor interposed his aid by distributing throughout the banks a hundred million sesterces, and allowing freedom to borrow without interest for three years, provided the borrower gave security to the State in land to double the amount. Credit was thus restored, and gradually private lenders were found. The purchase too of estates was not carried out according to the letter of the Senate's decree, rigour at the outset, as usual with such matters, becoming negligence in the end.

How did credit and banking work in first century Rome? Unfortunately there is a famous pop star named Roman Banks so my googling is confounded.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Kaal posted:

I suspect part of the appeal is the sciencey element of relating your calendar and your archeological work to radiometrics. If you’re using carbon dating and providing the error margin then BP can be useful to clarify that’s what you’re doing. Though in truth, BP has only a limited relationship with carbon dating since the atomic testing had no impact on carbon decay that I’m aware of. On the other hand, if you’re relying on other evidence to establish an object’s age, or if you want to talk about a specific date, then other calendars are probably more appropriate.

No I'm pretty sure it's so you can talk about the distant past without having to make reference to one particular Eurocentric religion. Changing the name to BCE/CE doesn't change the meaning of the date itself.

Also less mental arithmetic.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Lead out in cuffs posted:

No I'm pretty sure it's so you can talk about the distant past without having to make reference to one particular Eurocentric religion. Changing the name to BCE/CE doesn't change the meaning of the date itself.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The metric calendar should have caught on

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The only change we need is to make the names of the centuries match with the first two numbers of the years of those centuries. the "first century" can be the Zeroeth Century.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kaal posted:

Carbon dating was hugely impacted, there's a LOT more c14 now and that's why low background steel is valuable

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ras Het posted:

I think whatever anyone's religion is, if you live on planet earth instead of a goon cave, you're very interested in what the sun is doing

Yeah didn't a bunch of Chinese astrologers get executed for failing to predict an eclipse back in Zhou dynasty?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Tunicate posted:

Carbon dating was hugely impacted, there's a LOT more c14 now and that's why low background steel is valuable

The bombs added carbon-14 to the air, and industrialism has diluted the atmosphere with carbon dioxide, but the actual decay rate remains unchanged. As a result those levels are returning to a baseline, and within a few decades the relationship between carbon dating and the bomb testing will essentially end.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tunicate posted:

Does it affect the really old samples or is it more like you can't reliably carbon date things from after when the nuke tests started

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nessus posted:

Does it affect the really old samples or is it more like you can't reliably carbon date things from after when the nuke tests started
The latter.

C-14 levels in the atmosphere have actually fluctuated naturally through time and dendrochronology is used to calibrate the C-14 activity vs. age curve.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kaal posted:

The bombs added carbon-14 to the air, and industrialism has diluted the atmosphere with carbon dioxide, but the actual decay rate remains unchanged. As a result those levels are returning to a baseline, and within a few decades the relationship between carbon dating and the bomb testing will essentially end.

Thr concentration was abruptly doubled due to bombs, which means that you can actually date ringless trees based on when the c14 shows up in their tissues

Nessus posted:

It only gets added to living tissues, then starts decaying. Previously atmospheric levels were constant and thus living tissue held an equilibrium, with levels dropping once atmospheric carbon was no longer mxied in.

anything living after nuke tests has elevated levels (thus Before Present, since everything that died after that point is no longer reliable. Just blindly putting carbon levels into the previously valid formula would give a negative age)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are also lots of other dating systems that are unaffected so it's not that big a deal. Low-background steel is for use in instruments that involve extremely precise and fiddly radiation detection. It's also not that important anymore since the elevated radiation from nuclear testing has mostly decayed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sullat posted:

Yeah didn't a bunch of Chinese astrologers get executed for failing to predict an eclipse back in Zhou dynasty?

The Fire Nation never lived that one down.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Koramei posted:

It’ll also make it easier for the octopi archaeologists to figure out our dates because they can reference against the layer of radioactive dust in the strata.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

cheetah7071 posted:

I use the Kelvin calender

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kaal posted:

Carbon 14 is produced by cosmic rays hitting nitrogen in the upper atmosphere. I can't imagine that nuclear testing made a meaningful impact on a stock and flow of that size.

Burning fossil fuels on the other hand has certainly altered carbon isotope ratios in the atmosphere. But we don't do 45 billion tons of nuclear explosions every year.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Carbon 14 is produced by cosmic rays hitting nitrogen in the upper atmosphere. I can't imagine that nuclear testing made a meaningful impact on a stock and flow of that size.

Burning fossil fuels on the other hand has certainly altered carbon isotope ratios in the atmosphere. But we don't do 45 billion tons of nuclear explosions every year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomb_pulse

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 18, 2024

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Any of you nerds at the SAAs in NOLA?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

540 megatons over 2,000 bombs is a whole lot of nuclear explosions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_weapons_tests

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Those Australians are a menace!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hey, one of those might have been that Japanese doomsday cult.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

cheetah7071 posted:

What do you mean? Today is 4 Floréal year CCXXXII. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Fuschia tude posted: