Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Water it's blue because water absorbs all other colours except blue so that's what's reflected. Not the reflection of the sky, that's just moronic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Water it's blue because water absorbs all other colours except blue so that's what's reflected. Not the reflection of the sky, that's just moronic.

Not as moronic as the sky being blue because it's reflecting the oceans... where did that even start? I've heard it from so many people and I can't imagine who is teaching people this. It's probably our schools, to be honest...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snak posted:

Not as moronic as the sky being blue because it's reflecting the oceans... where did that even start? I've heard it from so many people and I can't imagine who is teaching people this. It's probably our schools, to be honest...

I just think it's half-remembered to be honest.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I just think it's half-remembered to be honest.

Half-remembered from where? There is no relation between the sky being blue and the ocean being blue.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snak posted:

Half-remembered from where? There is no relation between the sky being blue and the ocean being blue.

People just hear "refraction" and its a short leap I guess.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

People just hear "refraction" and its a short leap I guess.

I doubt most of the people who think the sky is blue because it's reflecting the oceans know what refraction is. I get what you're saying, and for the small subset of people that are thinking up this explanation based on half-remembered things they learned, you might be right. I'm talking about people who straight-up think that the sky is reflecting the oceans, that's why it's blue. Out here in podunk missouri/illinois, I've encountered a bunch of people that think this. Someone is teaching it to them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Common sense should take care of that the first time you notice a grey sky and blue water.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Common sense should take care of that the first time you notice a grey sky and blue water.

Once someone gets a notion in their heads about abstract forces like this they'll go to amazing lengths to keep it. Most people like feeling right more than finding out for sure.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The blue must be really faint because bottled water is always clear :shrug:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I don't know what he's on, the ocean turns grey with the sky.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

effectual posted:

The blue must be really faint because bottled water is always clear :shrug:

It is. A glass looks clear, but a white lined swimming pool will be noticeably blue.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_water

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Haha, yeah, the free encyclopedia that ANYONE can edit. Nice try, troll.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

Haha, yeah, the free encyclopedia that ANYONE can edit. Nice try, troll.

There are plenty of links to authoritative sources in the article. Here is one from a scientific journal: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~etrnsfer/water.htm.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

SimonChris posted:

There are plenty of links to authoritative sources in the article. Here is one from a scientific journal: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~etrnsfer/water.htm.

Sergei N. Smirnov and Charles L. Braun are clearly made up names and that article is from 1993, before the internet even existed.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

What the gently caress is going on in this thread

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I said a thing about how can the sky be blue if the oceans don't exist. A combo of jumbling up the facts and misremembering things, and now people are being really uncool and harsh and fighting.

Some of you aren't getting invited to my party.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TEN YEARS IN THE ISOCUBES

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Phenomenology.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad posted:

Phenomenology.

Mods please change title to The Dark Star thread.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

nothin' much what's up with you

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Neo Rasa posted:

Mods please change title to The Dark Star thread.

Yeah, I love John Carpenter, too.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
A theater not far from me is doing a screening of Dredd soon: http://drafthouse.com/movies/dredd_2d/northern_virginia

I expect to see all you goons there.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

PassTheRemote posted:

A theater not far from me is doing a screening of Dredd soon: http://drafthouse.com/movies/dredd_2d/northern_virginia

I expect to see all you goons there.

Yuuuup

janssendalt
May 7, 2015
I want to start reading Dredd.

Where should I begin?

(I already started to read the comics in the chronological order of the release dates. Am I doing this wrong?)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

janssendalt posted:

I want to start reading Dredd.

Where should I begin?

(I already started to read the comics in the chronological order of the release dates. Am I doing this wrong?)

The first year or so is kinda spotty, because they didn't quite nail the tone or the character yet, but it still has some good stuff. If you can power through its awkwardness, you can read chronologically forward from there. If you need a different starting point, Case Files 2 and 5 are really good. If you do start with 5, be sure to read the first 4 shortly afterward.

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The first year or so is kinda spotty, because they didn't quite nail the tone or the character yet, but it still has some good stuff. If you can power through its awkwardness, you can read chronologically forward from there. If you need a different starting point, Case Files 2 and 5 are really good. If you do start with 5, be sure to read the first 4 shortly afterward.

This is the EXACT feeling that brought me to this thread. The dialogues can be truly awkward at times.

Very well, I will give it a shot this way, now that you recommend it. If not, I'll give the other starting points a try.

Thanks a bunch.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

oohhboy posted:

They might have well shot FR in Black and White since they almost eliminated every other colour. O/B is a super lazy way to make an image "Pop" because they are contrasting colours and people are a little orange hence the opposite is "Blue". It is almost universally a negative as it is done in post and only serves to destroy colour. It also has a nasty side effect of making CGI more obvious since it brings out mismatched elements because of the "Pop". There are good uses of Orange and Blue is when it is baked into the scene like in "Drive" or using unusual film stock in Three Kings. John Wick also does this well by enhancing only the blue so you don't have white people turn into Orange people and when orange does show up, there is a reason for it. The video game equivalent of this is the "brown" filter in an attempt to make everything gritty.

The bluray will come with a black and white version. Not even kidding.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I didn't really like anything in Case Files 2 except the Cursed Earth saga but drat that was a good story.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009
The best story is America, nothing's topped that. If you want to really get into Dredd, take the advice posted before.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

21st Cherry boy posted:

I didn't really like anything in Case Files 2 except the Cursed Earth saga but drat that was a good story.
Isn't that like 75% of it though? :)

Relevant BSS thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gonna have Karl Urban autograph my MegaCity One Book of Law tomorrow at Phoenix Comicon.

I am psyched.

• Locked thread