Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm going to miss this thread. It got me started on the series and helped me through my first journey.

Me too. I've been posting in this thread almost as long as I've been a member of Something Awful. I look forward to more posting about Dark Souls for years to come! :darksouls:

edit: Repost for the new page:

DARK SOULS: REMASTERED - Seven years strong and my soul is still mine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

There was a really funny but politically incorrect vid of a concept build I saw a long time ago and can't find (probably got taken down). Catarina armor, smough leggings and gauntlets, Chester's mask, dual whips and pyromancy - "The White Man"

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
Artorias is a real handful and it looks like my SL range at 60 isn't popular around these parts. Haven't seen a single sign nor has anyone picked up my sign for some extended periods spent at his door. I have his attack patterns down and everything, but the fight goes on too long to maintain a flawless performance and he loves to one shot me soon as I make a mistake. Consistently get him down to about 50% then buffed or not he kills me the second I mistime a dodge or get caught without stamina. Is he vulnerable to bleed, poison or toxin? I haven't been able to land poison cloud for long enough to determine if it works nor can I hit fast enough with the scythe to say one way or the other. If he can bleed I want to try my guardian whip on him just upgraded to +10 and I don't want to waste cash on poison daggers if that won't work. If Toxin works I can fling some poo and smack him with grave sword

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
60 is a bit low for Artorias imo, I’d come back and do him after all the other lord souls since he’s harder than any of them except maybe 4K.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah, I took on artorias in my 80s and he was still a huge pain that would one or two shot me if I made a mistake. Come back after you've leveled a bit.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master

skasion posted:

60 is a bit low for Artorias imo, I’d come back and do him after all the other lord souls since he’s harder than any of them except maybe 4K.

I want to kill him before Sif since I've abandoned the plan to kill him with his own sword, to keep some kind of unique twist with this run. But I was afraid that my level being the issue would be the case. I prefer doing as much of the game as possible as a Dark Wraith for the glove action, so refusing to kill Sif has put me quite aways behind where I probably should be at this point. Trying to keep as many bosses alive until after I kill 4K doesn't mesh well with hitting up the DLC material. Thanks for the input.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You can still save Sif for after the dlc, I did.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You can still save Sif for after the dlc, I did.

I was saving all the bosses post-Anor Londo for after I killed 4K and I can't kill 4K until I kill Sif and I can't kill Sif until I complete Artorias DLC. Saving Sif for after the DLC has been the goal, but I should not have coupled that with a Dark Wraith run.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

sl1 runs exist

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

skasion posted:

For most (Experienced) people 4K is regarded as the easiest Lord Soul before multiple NG+'s, but that does require knowing the best way is to just Havel's up and pound them into dust while chugging Estus.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
4K's difficulty is build dependent, he can be relatively easy or very hard. But the easiest lord soul has to be Bed of Chaos. It saves your progress, has simple to evade attacks when you aren't attempting the final drop down, and the boss dies in 1 hit. Although come to think of it, I think all the Lords Souls carriers are pretty damned easy compared to most of the other bosses. And despite the simplicity of both the Bed and 4k I've only really ever been stuck on those 2 bosses. Easy to win but easy to die I suppose.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zedd posted:

For most (Experienced) people 4K is regarded as the easiest Lord Soul before multiple NG+'s, but that does require knowing the best way is to just Havel's up and pound them into dust while chugging Estus.

Absolutely not, two of the other lords are gimmick bosses and the fourth is significantly less dangerous than the regular enemies in his zone.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
Apparently, if you do damage quick enough Artorias won't try to buff until the fight has gone on for a certain length of time. Went back with +5 ascended flame, he didn't even try to buff until he was down to 4 bubbles of health despite having plenty of opportunities to do so. That damage was done in about 1-2min, as soon as he was down by about 25% I started giving him space getting ready to interrupt the buff but he decided to do 3 back to back slides giving me quick attack windows. we danced for nearly a full min with his health quickly falling before he finally double jumped back and tried to buff, GCF ate him before he could roar. Did any of you get a similar result, where the buff stage didn't instantly start after that first 25% damage was dealt if the damage was dealt fast enough? Not sure if this is an actual mechanic or if Artorias just felt sorry for me. :tali:

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Zedd posted:

I tried going Havel tank on my Sl1 run, took a single hit and realized that if I took another hit I'd die. Luckily I was able to dodge everything while fat-rolling for the rest of the fight and finish them off.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
I want to murder Jack the Ripper so that I can look as suave as him, am I going to miss out on anything major if I kill him? Will he drop the suit or do I need to get invaded a few times then find his corpse like with Kirk?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

skasion posted:

Absolutely not, two of the other lords are gimmick bosses and the fourth is significantly less dangerous than the regular enemies in his zone.

Polka_Rapper posted:

I tried going Havel tank on my Sl1 run, took a single hit and realized that if I took another hit I'd die. Luckily I was able to dodge everything while fat-rolling for the rest of the fight and finish them off.
Odd, might just be me/friends/the people I watched then, fair enough. :v:

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
My very first souls run, I went into 4k blind, completely panicked charged in and R1-spammed my pine-resined Zweihander occasionally breaking for a panic roll out of fear an attack might be incoming. Easiest 4K kill I've managed to date, haven't been able to repeat it or beat it since. Fear and ignorance trump tactics, power and weaponry apparently :one:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kalaxus posted:

My very first souls run, I went into 4k blind, completely panicked charged in and R1-spammed my pine-resined Zweihander occasionally breaking for a panic roll out of fear an attack might be incoming. Easiest 4K kill I've managed to date, haven't been able to repeat it or beat it since. Fear and ignorance trump tactics, power and weaponry apparently :one:

That's basically how I killed 4K on my first try during my first ever playthrough

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Zedd posted:

Odd, might just be me/friends/the people I watched then, fair enough. :v:

Oh no, I meant I tried to do the easy strat at soul level 1 and it didn't work. 4K are generally pretty easy if they don't chain blasts/grabs.

Nito is a chump but getting to him is a pain and the adds in the boss fight can be annoying.

Bed of Chaos ranges from tedious to only takes a few seconds but it's completely safe unless you keep getting swept off the ledge like I do.

Seath is impossible. You literally can't damage him enough before he kills you.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
I saw a scary shape and shot at it in the Abyss, I think it might have been Alvina, is she going to hold a grudge against me for this? I thought she was trying to kill me with illusions, but its starting to look like she was leading me through safely. Did I just scare away my guide? Not in a covenant so not worried about forest betrayal at this point, just concerned I shooed away a helpful or story NPC ick

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Polka_Rapper posted:

Seath is impossible. You literally can't damage him enough before he kills you.

Seath has only one attack that can hit you if you hug him, and it's really easy to dodge :confused:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if all else fails a fully upgraded pyromancy flame and great combustion will carry even the weakest soul across the finish line

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Seath has only one attack that can hit you if you hug him, and it's really easy to dodge :confused:

It’s a joke about the scripted death Seath fight that takes you to the prison

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kalaxus posted:

I saw a scary shape and shot at it in the Abyss, I think it might have been Alvina, is she going to hold a grudge against me for this? I thought she was trying to kill me with illusions, but its starting to look like she was leading me through safely. Did I just scare away my guide? Not in a covenant so not worried about forest betrayal at this point, just concerned I shooed away a helpful or story NPC ick

Not to worry, that illusion doesn't do anything and you don't cause anything by interacting with it. It's just a signpost.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Kalaxus posted:

I want to murder Jack the Ripper so that I can look as suave as him, am I going to miss out on anything major if I kill him? Will he drop the suit or do I need to get invaded a few times then find his corpse like with Kirk?

Has he invaded you yet?

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master

Look Sir Droids posted:

Has he invaded you yet?

He did right after I posed the question and moved to the next bonfire. He sassed me for killing him so I had to drop the chaos ball to cleanse his sins. Hope I didn't act to rashly but I was insulted by his only having a single new line of dialogue that he repeated. If you're going to sass me you have to at least bring down your prices to normal vendor prices sheesh.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Then all you’re missing out on are his expensive wares. Enjoy his threads.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
I was wondering what people were talking about Hallow Hydra being hard, since when could this SOB fly around and access every part of the open waters? looked like a graphics glitch when I saw him dive from one side to the other. I've played through DS1 several dozen times and I've never had him pursue me to the Everlasting Dragon. and like 95% of the time he wouldn't even water spout at me unless I was being noisy on his side of the beach. Is this some kind of Prepare to Die edition 'feature' Fromsoft through in to troll us or what? the animation for his flight is clearly not a finished product

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He's always done that. Also you could be posting these things in the new thread, this one is old!

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master

CJacobs posted:

He's always done that. Also you could be posting these things in the new thread, this one is old!

The remaster isn't out yet though...but thanks will do

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CJacobs posted:

imo this thread is fair game until the 25th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SciFiDownBeat posted:

imo this thread is fair game until the 25th
If that's the case, I'm gonna crosspost this video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmNtyP6kUrc

• Locked thread