Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Its ebook only though right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Ika posted:

Its ebook only though right?

That just means better cover art. Have you SEEN the cover art for the ebooks? They commissioned a different artist for each one. Book 4 is the best.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

That just means better cover art. Have you SEEN the cover art for the ebooks? They commissioned a different artist for each one. Book 4 is the best.

Book 6's cover is the best because you don't realize how ridiculous it's all supposed to look until you see a bunch of ninjas rushing a bunch of spellcasting men in black coats

and wolves

and explosions

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
In the bookstore the other day, I saw real WOT books with the ebook covers.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

pointlessone posted:

So, about 45 bucks for ALL of WoT plus whatever else ends up in the nomination packet? How do I give these people money, because that's one heck of a deal.

http://loncon3.org/memberships/ A Supporting membership includes voting rights but not actually going to the convention itself.

I'm still trying to figure out if I can make it to London for this.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kilson posted:

In the bookstore the other day, I saw real WOT books with the ebook covers.

Thank Christ for that. The American covers with the illustrations are absolute poo poo, it's good to see them being replaced.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

evilweasel posted:

When Lanfear mentioned Alivia was stronger than she had been at the height of her powers, Alivia has an angreal. I think she mentions it's impossible Alivia is naturally stronger as nobody could be stronger.

There's a subtle implication that Lanfear actually went to Finnworld in the Age of Legends, she used her bargain in the doorway to bargain for beauty so as to be more beautiful than anyone else and channeling power to be more powerful than any other woman.

It basically explains all the references to her unearthly beauty and also explains why Lanfear is completely convinced that Alivia can't be more powerful than her without an angreal.

It also explains why she didn't use her bargaining power when she got pushed through with Moraine.

That said, complete speculation, could be completely wrong.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Yorkshire Tea posted:

There's a subtle implication that Lanfear actually went to Finnworld in the Age of Legends, she used her bargain in the doorway to bargain for beauty so as to be more beautiful than anyone else and channeling power to be more powerful than any other woman.

It basically explains all the references to her unearthly beauty and also explains why Lanfear is completely convinced that Alivia can't be more powerful than her without an angreal.

It also explains why she didn't use her bargaining power when she got pushed through with Moraine.

It makes sense, actually, though it's probably something we'll never find out for sure. Probably too obscure to even be in the notes/encyclopedia.

And it only works out if we assume that each door is individually locked and that she could have entered Finnland without passing through that gate they used at the docks in Carihien.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

api call girl posted:

And it only works out if we assume that each door is individually locked and that she could have entered Finnland without passing through that gate they used at the docks in Carihien.

Mat used both doors. But--although I have trouble keeping my Finns straight--I'm pretty sure the door at Cairhein was the one she would have had to use to get a wish granted? Since Moiraine had already used the one that answers questions, and I think she used her wishing powers to deal with Lanfear?

Or maybe Lanfear was allowed to enter again because her eventually returning to Finnland is part of the agreement she made (probably by accident)? It seems plausible that the Finns could have that kind of control over the arches, although I sort of suspect they don't, since the arches exist specifically to stop them from pulling this kind of shenanigans.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 29, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yorkshire Tea posted:

....when is this implication? I didn't notice that at all.

EDIT: Given Lanfear's general attitude and arrogance, it's also possible she straight can't believe anyone could be stronger.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 29, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

You can only go through those doorways once. If she'd been in there before, nothing would have happened when she got knocked through.

All in all I don't think it's a credible theory even if you account for alternate methods of bargaining with the Finns. It would have been mentioned somewhere - interviews with Jordan, the Behind the wheel book - somewhere. I've never seen any trace of an implication, despite reading the series over a dozen times, nor have I seen a mention of it anywhere on the internet.

Then you have the logical, in universe reasons - Someone in the Age of legends would have noticed if she was mysteriously more powerful than she used to be.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

The Lord Bude posted:

You can only go through those doorways once. If she'd been in there before, nothing would have happened when she got knocked through.

All in all I don't think it's a credible theory even if you account for alternate methods of bargaining with the Finns. It would have been mentioned somewhere - interviews with Jordan, the Behind the wheel book - somewhere. I've never seen any trace of an implication, despite reading the series over a dozen times, nor have I seen a mention of it anywhere on the internet.

Then you have the logical, in universe reasons - Someone in the Age of legends would have noticed if she was mysteriously more powerful than she used to be.

http://13depository.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/lanfear.html

That's where I found the theory. It seems reasonable. I entirely understand the scepticism though, it as mentioned prior could be just because Lanfear is incredibly arrogant.

• Locked thread