Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The unofficial translation is starting to read a bit incoherently in the latest chapter.

See: Example A

I feel like there could be a better way of wording of a few other sentences too but free is free, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Alder posted:

The unofficial translation is starting to read a bit incoherently in the latest chapter.

See: Example A

I feel like there could be a better way of wording of a few other sentences too but free is free, I guess.

When translators are mostly high school Japanese students or 1st year East Asian Studies majors, you take what you can get

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

pinegala posted:

When translators are mostly high school Japanese students or 1st year East Asian Studies majors, you take what you can get

True but I can't help but wonder why people are always whinging about ENG translations not being "literal" enough when they don't understand JPN in the first place. Trust me that no one wants to read my super literal Mandarin translations of dramas and/or movies.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Magi/Ch-252--The-Reunion-of-Two-King-Vessels?id=218629

He is just a little ball of concentrated rage and spite :allears:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just blitzed through the manga after finishing the anime. drat is this series good. Probably tied with HxH for my favorite shounen series; great fights, well-developed characters, and villains that are either understandable in their motives or are literally Satan.

Been loving Hakuryuu's fall. I doubt Arba will return, since according to Judar she self-destructed her own Rukh, but seeing what they are doing it looks like they'll accomplish what she wanted regardless. I'm curious to see if David will ever have another part to play. I kind of hope he doesn't. It'd be more interesting if he allowed himself to be killed not with the intent to return later as according to his keikaku, but purely because it would drive the world forward.

Shame this thread is relatively dead.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I still keep up with it and think it's overall still pretty solid but a lot of the interest I originally had with it kind of petered out after the tail end of the magical academy arc where it went full-on Marineford from One Piece. I know that was ages ago and there have been better arcs since then but I dunno between it and the overly long Solomon flashback arc I don't think it ever truly recovered. I also kind of wish it would back off of the super powers/metal vessels/djinn equips and go back to social commentary or political theatre or something; the power creep has gotten a little out of hand and I'm not sure it was ever really the manga's strongest point.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, Magi is at its best when its interesting conflicts, scheming villains, sympathetic peoples forced into war, and problems solved without pure violence. Not everyone going Super Saiyan and shooting their punchmans power at a giant beach ball.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

As of Chapter 260:

It appears that Alibaba's become a vegetable, Hakuryuu's lost his legs, Judar got sealed into oblivion and Aladdin has lost a friend.

Wonder what happens now?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Hopefully they can tone down the tension after this battle is done, because the stakes have been raised to ridiculous levels ever since the Magnostadt arc and haven't really dropped since (although maybe it did drop for a bit, but I totally forgot most of what happened since that arc other than the flashbacks, the war meeting and this battle.) All of the recent developments have felt flat to me. At least the art has really ramped up in detail! Gorgeous pages to look at (although a bit too busy sometimes.)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Can Of Worms posted:

Hopefully they can tone down the tension after this battle is done, because the stakes have been raised to ridiculous levels ever since the Magnostadt arc and haven't really dropped since (although maybe it did drop for a bit, but I totally forgot most of what happened since that arc other than the flashbacks, the war meeting and this battle.) All of the recent developments have felt flat to me. At least the art has really ramped up in detail! Gorgeous pages to look at (although a bit too busy sometimes.)

Seems like with this week you got your wish.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

http://bato.to/read/_/316020/magi_ch262_by_sense-scans

The mysterious girl there with Hakyruu presents the possibility of it coming back, but it seems at least for the short term the existential threat stuff is out of the picture. I like that they're bringing up the "half fallen" stuff, I've been interested in that since it was mentioned in regards to Sinbad. It was always a bit odd that a somewhat gray shounen series like this had pure good/evil (the two kinds of Rukh) thing going on, and it seems like this might change that.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well, I didn't expect that.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Hakuryuu's metal vessel turns people into Cactuars!!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The last couple of chapters have been a hell of a lot more interesting than like the 20 before them.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

The last couple of chapters have been a hell of a lot more interesting than like the 20 before them.

I dont know, they spent like 3-4 chapters talking about how dead they are and of course they werent dead. Seems like a huge waste of time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I care about the Alibaba group in general and just like that they're kind of doing their own thing rather than getting caught up in the silly war that I've completely lost interest in.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Looking kind of Alphonse-y there, Ali Baba. Looks like this could be an interesting detour given the pairing!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Where even are they? Some sort of tiled space ceiling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I care about the Alibaba group in general and just like that they're kind of doing their own thing rather than getting caught up in the silly war that I've completely lost interest in.

Yes, here I found the true reason I still bother reading Magi since day 1, the funny faces. I don't actually remember the main plot other than REVENGE and ULTIMATE MAGIC.

Also, I hate to say it but the anime helped reduce the shaggy dog effects which in turn made it flow better.

• Locked thread