Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Nessus posted:

So what is the new hip relevant cool forum we should all migrate to so I can skip searching for a bunch of graphs about how Lowtax needs to bring back LF

Reddit.

Have fun there guys, I'll turn the lights off when I leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I showed a friend empire strikes back the other day and he was legitimately surprised to find out that vader was lukes father.

He's my age.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Raxivace posted:

He's not a loner though: he pals around the universe with Chewie. :colbert:

Han Solo is a space trucker. Don't you guys know that he is based off the hit 70s show BJ and the Bear?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slugworth posted:

Reddit.

Have fun there guys, I'll turn the lights off when I leave.

Reddit actually has fewer users than tumblr.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

computer parts posted:

Reddit actually has fewer users than tumblr.
No.

That can't be true.

that's impossible

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

I showed a friend empire strikes back the other day and he was legitimately surprised to find out that vader was lukes father.

He's my age.

It's very nice of you to be friends with a Martian.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ImpAtom posted:

It's very nice of you to be friends with a Martian.

A 25 year old co-worker of mine just watched the OT for the first time this weekend. He hasn't watched the PT yet. I'm dying to get his thoughts tomorrow.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

the trump tutelage posted:

What's the consensus on Anakin being created by Palpatine or his master? I assumed that was taken as a given, but if people are arguing that Anakin's fall was Palpatine's Plan B then I don't see how that fits.

I don't find it plausible that Palpatine orchestrated every event in Anakin's life from conception to his fall to the dark side. Additionally, if Anakin was created to be some awesome Sith Frankenstein, then why didn't Palpatine/Plagueis choose to raise him as such in secret. I think the information we're given in the movies leaves a lot or wiggle room. I don't think Palpatine created Anakin on his own, because even he doesn't claim to have that power, but beyond that there are a number of possibilities:

1) Anakin was created by Plagueis and Palpatine knew of it and maybe helped, but either lost track of Anakin, or thought nothing of him until he surfaced ten years later. Until then he may have been one of just dozens of their old experiments scattered across the galaxy, none of them anything extraordinary.

2) Anakin was created by Plagueis unbeknownst to Palpatine, but Palpatine (correctly) inferred where he came from when he showed up, much like Vader didn't know about Luke for many years.

3) Palpatine has no real idea how Anakin came to be, but hints that he's a result of Sith magic because it supports the narrative that he's trying to sell him.

I kind of favor choice number 2, but none of them require Palpatine to have an impossibly complex, 20 year plan.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 14, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Just because Sidious wanted a servant doesn't mean he wanted to deal with toilet training.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Just because Sidious wanted a servant doesn't mean he wanted to deal with toilet training.

My Two Sith Dads

Beeez
May 28, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

I've got a pet dog but that doesn't mean i have friends

You okay, bro? But yeah, Han pets Chewie numerous times.

ImpAtom posted:

In the script and the novelization for RotJ Owen Laws is Obi-Wan Kenobi's brother, so that honestly doesn't matter in the slightest.

Well, it doesn't "not matter in the slightest" even if you think it's not valid now, because it gives some sense of the thinking behind this plot point. If you go purely by the movies, then we don't even know if Plagueis was Sidious' master. There's no conclusive evidence that Palpatine made Anakin, so it could be him, could be Plagueis, could be the Force itself. It's supposed to be ambiguous whether or not he's a Sith creation or truly the "Chosen One".

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

MrBigglesworth posted:

Han Solo is a space trucker. Don't you guys know that he is based off the hit 70s show BJ and the Bear?

Han Solo is a 29-year-old drug dealer who lives out of a lovely old unwashed van with his dog and successfully negs a 19-year-old princess into falling in love with him.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

He's not a drug dealer.

He's a drug runner/trafficker. :colbert:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He is, however, in all other respects indistinguishable from Norville "Shaggy" Roberts.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

~3 months before ANH~

Han: "This is not my fuckin' problem, man! You hosed her up, you fuckin' deal with this!"

Greedo: "This hosed up bitch is Jabba's wife. Now if she fuckin' croaks on me, I'm a grease spot. But before he turns me into a bar soap, I'm gonna be forced to tell him about how you coulda saved her life, but instead you let her die on your ship."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

han: aw man I shot greedo in the face
lando: why the gently caress'd you do that

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Has JJ Abrams said anything about his philosophy or intentions for Episode VII?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Speaking of Han Solo, here's some notes about his backstory that Lucas made in August of 1977 (once again from J.W. Rinzler's The Making of Star Wars). These were intended for licensors to use in their creation of ancillary material. Apparently Lucas left an outline for the young Han Solo movie before he sold to Disney. It would be interesting if any of this stuff made it into the film in some form.

I bolded some interesting bits:

George Lucas posted:

“Han is around thirty years old. His parents might have been killed in a space battle with Han as the only survivor. There’s no real record about where the space gypsies found him.They run through the galaxy picking up all sorts of odds and ends. They may have won him in a game. They may have cheated someone out of him and thought they would sell him. He was kind of like a slave. Although the gypsies loved him in their own way, they were also mean to him. They used him for their own ends and he was very unhappy. They would send him out on dangerous missions and they would make him beg in the streets and that sort of thing. They abandoned him to the Wookiees when he was about seven years old; he lived with them for about five years.

From the time Han was twelve to the time he was fifteen, he was in the Space Academy. That’s where he learned to be a starpilot and he was very, very good—only he was such a hustler that he got caught selling exam answers to the class. He also tried to race one of the professors in a spaceship and crashed it in the process. He didn’t beat the professor, but he was booted out. Then he went around and did a lot of things, finally coming back to the Wookiees and meeting Chewbacca.

Then he went to the planet of Coonee, where he used to herd large animals called coldppedas, which have fifteen feet. They look something like a giraffe, about twenty-three feet tall, only with scales and a lizard head. Some of them are known to get as high as forty feet. They have huge hooves, which are round and soft. Their meat has an aphrodisiac quality, so they ship it all around the universe. He did that for three years.

I have the sudden urge to try some ronto meat and see what happens.

quote:

“Han then worked as a mechanic in a factory that built spaceships on a planet called Saberhing. He was on an assembly line. He fell into smuggling when he was about twenty. Smuggling was really the result of the Empire, which has such stringent rules about tariffs, and the trade companies, which are so strong, so monopolistic. Most legitimate operators were squeezed out of the business. So Han could be described as a smuggler, but in reality he’s a free-enterprise small businessman who is trading between systems without benefit of a proper license from the trade unions.

Space taxes strike again! :freep:

quote:

"He smuggled everything under the sun. He smuggled spice along with everything else: various foodstuffs and precious gems and mechanical parts—whatever happened to be available. He would take material from one planet to another planet, and so on, taking his profit out along the way. Han outwitted the Empire on numerous occasions and he’s made some very fast deals. One of the problems is that he gambles quite heavily and loses most of his money. He’s tough and sharp, only he somehow never manages to scrape together enough money to get any power. As a matter of fact, I think he enjoys this: He’s slightly self-destructive and enjoys being on the brink of disaster. So he’s constantly putting everything he’s got into some high-risk venture, and sometimes he wins and sometimes he loses. You might meet him and he may be worth ten billion credits one day and the next time you meet him, he’s in debt up to his ears.

The Empire actually destroyed one of his ships, a bigger ship, not as fast as the Millennium Falcon. They blasted him and he had to drop a whole shipment in order to keep from getting caught. The Empire is really the Big Brother who watches over him and causes him trouble. He doesn’t really think of it as a political thing so much as somebody who is getting in his way, although he frequently works with, and for, bounty hunters, gangsters, Rebels, and the Empire if the price is right.

“He has a girlfriend in every port.”

Last part checks out:

Also, some interesting tidbits about the Millennium Falcon:

quote:

“It’s of Corellian design, from Crell, and is used primarily by the Corellian spice shippers. They transport their goods to the center of the Empire. The Corellian ship is a very easy ship to know. It’s a very simple ship, very economical ship, although the modifications he made to it are rather extensive—mostly to the navigation system to get through hyperspace in the shortest possible distance (par-sects).

So yes, as far as its basic design goes the Falcon is a dime-a-dozen in the galaxy, which makes sense, because the last thing a smuggler would want to do is draw attention to himself. And the basic design is at least 22 years old by the time of A New Hope, explaining why Luke immediately declares it a piece of junk:

(Enlarge and look on the far left of the landing platform in the middle of the shot.)

Also interesting to note is Lucas's explanation of the whole parsec issue. If Lucas really did just goof up on the definition of a parsec, he at least had his standard explanation ready as early as a few months after the release of the film.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 14, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Coonee huh?

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

This should be in the OP of every Star Wars thread on the Internet, not just on SA.

The leaks are coming out hot and heavy, too. Apparently people have gotten their hands on the visual dictionary. Any time I think about looking at them, I'm going to just look at this image of a Death Star waffle.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Now I want a Death Star waffle iron, Millenium Falcon plate, and lightsaber utensils. :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't forget some R2-D2 Salt & pepper shakers.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Don't forget some R2-D2 Salt & pepper shakers.

why have two of the same droid

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Namaste posted:

The leaks are coming out hot and heavy, too. Apparently people have gotten their hands on the visual dictionary. Any time I think about looking at them, I'm going to just look at this image of a Death Star waffle.

It just arrived at my bookstore. The sheer force of will it is taking to keep from even looking at the Visual Dictionary until Friday is draining. There is this massive pile of stuff full of spoilers that has been sitting in our Strict on Sale area since the first of the month. Disney is being pretty serious about it, as well. We aren't even supposed to take pictures of the cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Alright everybody. Thanks for making this thread... a thing. I'll be Goldmining it within the start of the New Year.

New thread here

• Locked thread