Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead but my wife and I recently discovered this anime and have been watching it on Hulu. Is this thing only 2 seasons long or does it look like it will go 3 or 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Second Season's being billed as the final season and at the rate it's going, it'll definitely hit the end.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Is this scene from the most recent episode of the anime a nod to a manga-only scene?

It shows A flashback of someone outside a blue-haired boy's room stabbing someone with a rapier in a series of elegant backflips. Subtitles: "People admire those who change them. Like a child whose life is saved by a doctor admiring doctors and wanting to be one. Like a boy bewitched by beautiful skills longing to be an assassin..."

It seems somehow out of character for Nagisa to say that he longed to be an assassin. The show's version of Nagisa (almost) always seemed extremely reluctant about it.

Is it just a scene that I had forgotten?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That sounds like the second God of Death.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

ChaosArgate posted:

Second Season's being billed as the final season and at the rate it's going, it'll definitely hit the end.
You'd think they want to pad this out more.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
It looks like Houjou has been cut from the anime entirely. I can't seem to feel anything about that.

But well done to Funimation for messing up Hiroto Maehara's name in the phone chat scene. And it's even correct in the credits too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Montegoraon posted:

It looks like Houjou has been cut from the anime entirely. I can't seem to feel anything about that

That's really dumb, considering Houjou is basically their final boss.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Maybe, but so what? In the end he was a massive disappointment. The whole ending, while super, super sad, was disappointed as far as the students actually accomplishing anything meaningful.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Montegoraon posted:

Maybe, but so what? In the end he was a massive disappointment. The whole ending, while super, super sad, was disappointed as far as the students actually accomplishing anything meaningful.

He was only beaten because he said "They never gave him a chance to take them seriously."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

He was only beaten because he said "They never gave him a chance to take them seriously."

Pretty much. It's a great flip around from their initial encounter where they got schooled, and gave them a chance to show off their assassin skills versus a worthy opponent. Their final exam, so to speak.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Well, putting all that aside, there's something even more weird. I have no idea why they cut Houjou and his team of mercenaries. Time? But since they did, that's a platoon of actual Japanese soldiers the kids are kicking the crap out of, and in at least one case outright torturing. It seems even more unlikely than the manga that the kids would just be let go without consequences after that.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I dunno, I'm pretty sure the government doesn't really want to do anything which might make the kids spill the beans about the whole "We agreed to train children as assassins to kill their teacher who was a super powered monster" deal.
I mean, sure, you can say "Oh, who'd believe a bunch of high-school students over the government!" but even so, I'm pretty sure they'd prefer not to have to compete for credibility. And it wouldn't be easy to cover up; if nothing else, Principal Asano knows about it. For that matter, the kids probably have a shitload of photos, too.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
That was an alright ending, but I wish they'd brought back Nagisa's boyfriend for the denouement in some form or another.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

On a whim I decided to buy the first two volumes of this

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Is there a second half to that post or are you still waiting on your package to arrive?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
This manga was insanely good and unless there's more to discuss, I wouldn't mind this thread being closed. Just saying~

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just ordered them from Amazon last night, I even paid the extra euro to get them delivered before Wednesday. My post didn't contribute much but I was excited and also didn't realise it was a finished series. That's good news though because I have more faith in it being a consistently good thing if it had a relatively short run compared to other big Shounen titles that ran for an eternity. Considering it's finished I'm sure there's a general Shounen thread I can post in in future :shobon:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah the author knew when to finish it instead of dragging it along.

Helps that there's a defined time limit stated in the beginning.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Helps that there's a defined time limit stated in the beginning.
Like that's ever stopped someone dragging out a series before. They could go day by day and have 365+ chapters just like that.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Like that's ever stopped someone dragging out a series before. They could go day by day and have 365+ chapters just like that.

Yeah, it's worth pointing out that the final three hundred chapters of Natuto, nearly half of the manga, took place over the course of two days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Captain Invictus posted:

That's if they have finesse, they could also get blinded by the money halfway through and just throw the time limit out of the window

• Locked thread