Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Bajaha posted:

Just the fact that it's not a 5, the 4 is dead reliable and I've heard good things about it's ability to hold power too, was just hoping for the fuel economy boost from having 5 gears to choose from instead of 4. The mileage isn't great on these cars and my wife's got a long commute (~40-50km ) to university

Ah ok cool, yea the mileage sucks on these anyway. Even my 99 Forester blows on gas with no turbo and a 5 speed manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

jamal posted:

drat, all the catbacks I'm seeing are like 2k.

Yeah, the price tags are hard to swallow, a full on custom exhaust with an electronic cut out was quoted at $1500 CAD for the Baja, and the guys on the local forums thought that was a bit high.

$2k+ USD for much less material and a couple extra bends seems excessive, and the exchange rate is pretty disappointing at the moment too :(

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Porsche update plz

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

An update will come. I'm away on business for another week so radio silence until then.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Porsche Update:

Still getting used to the the little nuances of ownership, like not having a dipstick and having to wait for an oil measurement.

And small things breaking on it every once in awhile. The plastic ball socket on the convertible pushrods broke, and when one snapped, the other got overloaded and snapped immediately as well.

No fear though, while Porsche does not sell the plastic socket by itself but only sell the whole assembly for $$$, there is a good aftermarket for these as it is apparently a common issue. For a modest price, I've ordered a set of replacement sockets. In the mean time I was stuck without an automatic convertible, but I could still move the top manually. A couple weeks of this was no big deal while I waited for the parts to arrive.

I confirmed that the top movement was free of binding and was nice and smooth, I'm fairly confident this is just an age issue and that nothing is bent / binding in the top. Replacement parts came and all is well again.

And with that, It's almost winter again so the prep has begun. I've got a shed full of winter tires and I'm ready for the season.

Cleaned up the garage to get some more space and hopefully remember where all the random little stuff is:

For this season, I figured I'd be prepared and got myself and my wife some very nice Primitive Racing skid plates:

Fuel economy gains would be nice on the highway as my wife's commute is primarily highway, and this should offer some decent protection from large chunks of ice and other road hazards. But alas, my winter prep was cut short. Work required me to travel and I got to visit Chicago and Niagara falls again.

Chicago is a beautiful destination and I was chosen as the designated driver by my coworkers. The inner european in me came out and I had a blast driving around town. Heavy traffic and driving on the lower streets is definitely an experience.

Went to some pretty great restaurants, The Billy Goat of SNL fame, and Uno's where supposedly the deep dish pizza originated, and hit up the magnificent mile in typical tourist fashion. After the US, came back to canada and enjoyed Niagara Falls again. Whenever I'm in the area I've got to stop by. This time I managed to visit without buying another car.

Although I did see this pretty pimpin ride out there when I was fuelling up:

Well, anyway, I'm back home now and winter preparation continues. The Baja has come out of storage and has been restored to daily driver status:

And that means the porsche gets it's final wash for the season and gets put away for winter.

With the temperatures in the low double digits nowadays, washing it was fun.

Clean and ready, backed up into the garage, hooked up to a battery tender, and a car cover thrown on to help keep the dust off over winter. (photo is pre cover and battery tender if it wasn't obvious enough.)

I've bought a bunch of maintenance parts for the porsche which will get done around spring time before I bring it out again for the season.

And I've bought the OEM floormats that should have come with the car. The small little things just really bring the car together.

And my wife's car gets new summer wheels for next season. They were intended to be winter wheels, but something better came up.

We found a set of 15" steel wheels, and after confirming they fit, they came home for the low low price of $60 for the set.

Wrapped them in new Blizzaks and she's all set for winter. Baja's made it out to a car show, Winnipeg Subie Fest, and managed to snag an award.

And winter is getter ever closer:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not sure where you are sourcing your porch parts, but assuming you have a US box Sunset Porsche out of Oregon is pretty much who I only deal with, other than Pelican for some jobber stuff.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

And a few more miscellaneous things.

My Samsung Galaxy S7 apparently really wanted to be a Note 7 since it managed to overheat and produced wonderful burning smells while I was on my trip. I've since bought a quick replacement phone as I was travelling at the time and I've sent my S7 in for warranty. Not the best experience but at least it didn't burst into flames.

And with winter fast approaching (have I said this enough?) I tackled the starter problem with my snowblower.

Some basic disassembly which required removal of no fewer than 4 different types of fasteners. At least with the Porsche in the garage now I've got a wider arrangement of torx bits.

And I think I've found the issue:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Not sure where you are sourcing your porch parts, but assuming you have a US box Sunset Porsche out of Oregon is pretty much who I only deal with, other than Pelican for some jobber stuff.

US box is the way to go, we're on a first name basis and they've even given me my own shelf space so it's super quick to pick up parcels whenever I'm heading down to the US. Otherwise I've either been bugging a good friend who has parts store hookups.

I've heard Pelican is great, but prices can be a little inflated, and I was close to buying a few small things from sunset, but the price difference was close enough and the local dealer had it in stock so i just picked up locally. For pricier parts I would definitely go to them though.

E: reading through your bearing expertise in the Porch thread, I'd like to get your take on this. I'm on the fence whether to go with the LN IMS solution or to just leave it be. Being an 05 it's the last 'problem' year from what I've read but I haven't done extensive research. Before my ownership it looks like it was driven year round and with the mileage it has I'm not sure if I should be more relaxed with regards to the IMS or if I should be really sweating and every revolution of the engine is risking imminent failure.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 16, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pelican isn't bad for jobber parts, but they are about 20% higher on most OEM parts than Sunset. There service is pretty good though and they have a decent aftermarket selection.

Regarding the bearing, do you have a local "approved" shop to do the install?

If it were me and I were keeping it, even though it's a single row I'd probably not do it but I'd do more research on it.... I might be swayed. Last I heard failure rates were in the single-digit percentages and I'd play those odds all day long although I don't know if you can even put a real number to it at this point.

I certainly wouldn't bother if my intention were to flip it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

slidebite posted:

I wouldn't bother if my intention were to flip it.

New mechanical failures thread title?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
For rock chip protection, have you considered getting skins for the hood and front-end? My parents got them for their 2014 Boxster (in Toronto too) and I've seen stones hit and do nothing.

Also, your's is the same colour as my parents' one, and I'm surprised how similar they look despite the gap in age. Nice car, but they're a bit small on the inside imo.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Last I heard failure rates were in the single-digit percentages and I'd play those odds all day long although I don't know if you can even put a real number to it at this point.

I certainly wouldn't bother if my intention were to flip it.

Last I heard the figure was 8% failure rate for the trouble years which is honestly not a huge risk. It started as a flip but now I've gotten attached and want to keep it for few summers before selling. Haven't looked into it if there even is a place that is certified by LN. I'm leaning more towards just letting it be.

Fermented Tinal posted:

For rock chip protection, have you considered getting skins for the hood and front-end? My parents got them for their 2014 Boxster (in Toronto too) and I've seen stones hit and do nothing.

Also, your's is the same colour as my parents' one, and I'm surprised how similar they look despite the gap in age. Nice car, but they're a bit small on the inside imo.

I'm not a huge fan of clear bra's just because I notice them and it drives me wild to see the line. Was thinking of those ceramic coatings like opti coat, but again I only want to keep it for a couple years, maybe.

And yeah, porsche design has stayed pretty consistent, especially after the 987 and 997, the newer ones don't look all that much different.

I'm a big guy but I actually found the boxster to be comfortable inside, it's got room where it counts I guess, not cavernous but more than enough for comfort at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Well, it's pretty much the end of November and this crazy place is still free of snow. Decided to stop pushing my luck and finally swapped over to winter tires on the Baja.

The fat fozzy 5 spokes don't look that bad on it.

• Locked thread