Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I've picked the worst time to start trying to get into stand up but why not. Means I only bomb infront of a few others.

Has anyone got experience with any online stand up comedy pieces or have any successes with building comedy experience under lockdown? It's a bit dauting not being able to sign up for any new act nights, so I'm just looking for any advice you have getting performing experience now.

I'm finally getting my poo poo together writing a small piece for an online comedy night that's been running since the 1st lockdown, they have a new comedians night and it's been a dream to do comedy but I just got sidetracked with drinking too much and depression. Standard practice. I've set a deadline for myself for the end of January at the latest to have a piece written and able to go regardless just so I can steam ahead with getting that performing experience and hopefully not bombing too hard.

Hope you all stay safe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

thrashingteeth posted:

I've picked the worst time to start trying to get into stand up but why not. Means I only bomb infront of a few others.

Has anyone got experience with any online stand up comedy pieces or have any successes with building comedy experience under lockdown? It's a bit dauting not being able to sign up for any new act nights, so I'm just looking for any advice you have getting performing experience now.

I'm finally getting my poo poo together writing a small piece for an online comedy night that's been running since the 1st lockdown, they have a new comedians night and it's been a dream to do comedy but I just got sidetracked with drinking too much and depression. Standard practice. I've set a deadline for myself for the end of January at the latest to have a piece written and able to go regardless just so I can steam ahead with getting that performing experience and hopefully not bombing too hard.

Hope you all stay safe!

Biggest advice I can give you is a) have a plan (which it appears you have) and b) have fun.

Comedy is hard and no matter how funny you are, starting out you aren't going to be very good. That first year is all about getting comfortable on stage and developing good habits. Record everything you do and listen to yourself. Take notes on what worked and what didn't. If you put in the work offstage, on stage will be easier

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

thrashingteeth posted:

Hope you all stay safe!

I started comedy in January 2020, and then lockdown started just after a couple of my classes had started. I didn't even make it on stage.
I want to perform zoom wise, but everything I have found so far is for professional comedians who already have an established career.

So may I ask where this online comedy night for new comedians is? I would happily be someone who watches the shows.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Sataere posted:

Biggest advice I can give you is a) have a plan (which it appears you have) and b) have fun.

Comedy is hard and no matter how funny you are, starting out you aren't going to be very good. That first year is all about getting comfortable on stage and developing good habits. Record everything you do and listen to yourself. Take notes on what worked and what didn't. If you put in the work offstage, on stage will be easier

Thanks for the advice, really appreicate it! I'm trying to build myself up for the year of just difficulty and getting used to the performance aspect. Will work on taking notes!

DrNewton posted:

I started comedy in January 2020, and then lockdown started just after a couple of my classes had started. I didn't even make it on stage.
I want to perform zoom wise, but everything I have found so far is for professional comedians who already have an established career.

So may I ask where this online comedy night for new comedians is? I would happily be someone who watches the shows.

Ah that must really suck, are you having any luck online?

The Stand is the place where they have the new acts, its pretty cool. They've moved mostly online due to covid, the Saturday show they have is amazing. Ive not watched the other shows but its worth a look.

https://www.thestand.co.uk/

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

DrNewton posted:

Hop onto local Facebook comedy groups. They'll have zoom open mics if you're looking. I couldn't tell you specific ones because I don't see the point of zoom comedy. No judgements if you're into it, but audience interaction is what makes stand up stand up to me.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Sataere posted:

Hop onto local Facebook comedy groups. They'll have zoom open mics if you're looking. I couldn't tell you specific ones because I don't see the point of zoom comedy. No judgements if you're into it, but audience interaction is what makes stand up stand up to me.

I have attended zoom Comedy shows where audience is involved and it was great.

I mostly started comedy because I wanted to get over my stage fright. I thought maybe starting on zoom wouldn't be so bad of a start after all.

Thanks so much for the tip.

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
started doing live shows again
nothing digital can even touch it

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Lotron posted:

started doing live shows again
nothing digital can even touch it

My first set in over a year was a club hosting set at a show I produce. I can't imagine a worse way to come back to comedy. God, I missed it.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Yeah, I got to do 10 minutes in the parking lot of a pizza joint last weekend and it was some of the most fun I've had all year.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

.... ... *slowly hides in her corner, sipping her drink. Not letting anyone know that she started out during the virtual era of comedy*

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

DrNewton posted:

.... ... *slowly hides in her corner, sipping her drink. Not letting anyone know that she started out during the virtual era of comedy*

Nothing wrong with virtual comedy, as long as you are aware it's a different animal from live stand up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Are there any comedy festivals in New England I should check out? I imagine Boston must have something. Portland?