Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Already got Super Hydorah. It's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Enjoying Super Hydorah a lot. Had it on my list forever but never really got around to it.

Also a reminder that Steredenn is really good. Can't remember if I've ever seen it mentioned here. Pixelart shooter with randomised levels/encounters/drops. Some fun alternative ships to unlock. It's available on all platforms.

https://steredenn.pixelnest.io

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 23, 2024

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I’ve played Crimson Clover and that Mush-something bug one but I kinda prefer more old school style shmups.

Mushihimesama (at least, the first one), on Original Mode, is an old-school-style shmup. That mode was intentionally designed to be a throwback to older Toaplan games. Fewer, faster bullets. No complex scoring system. Just dodge, shoot, bomb, survive.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Can a Japanese Understander explain why it's never written out as "Mushihime-sama?" I've only ever seen it with a hyphen once (in the OPL Manager game database), but I was suddenly able to parse it in a way I'd never been able to when it's just a long, long word.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
I should probably play it again! Those Cave ones are just a little too expensive for me on Steam off-sale

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

super aleste on normal is really hard. I'm on a snes kick, what all are your favorite snes shmups?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Can’t beat that amazing Super Aleste soundtrack

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

After The War posted:

Can a Japanese Understander explain why it's never written out as "Mushihime-sama?" I've only ever seen it with a hyphen once (in the OPL Manager game database), but I was suddenly able to parse it in a way I'd never been able to when it's just a long, long word.

There's nothing about the Japanese that calls for it not to be hyphenated like honorifics usually are in translated media that retains them. It probably just came down to a weird call the first person to type in the English title made.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

After The War posted:

this only means that your compoundwordgame is weak. hyphens are crutches

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The Voice of Labor posted:

super aleste on normal is really hard. I'm on a snes kick, what all are your favorite snes shmups?

Gradius III w/ SA-1 patch (no slowdown :getin:). The Parodius games are pretty decent, as well (although better on PS1/Saturn).
Super EDF
Flying Hero - Bugyuru no Daibouken
Aero Fighters is alright.
Super Aleste/Space Megaforce, of course

I really want to like Axelay, but I hate the mode-7 perspective gimmick on the vert stages.

Haven't played but heard good things about :
R-Type III
Cotton 100%
Pop 'n Twinbee
Macross Scrambled Valkyrie

Stay away from:
Imperium
Raiden Trad
D-Force
Thunder Spirits

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Ofecks posted:

Gradius III w/ SA-1 patch (no slowdown :getin:). The Parodius games are pretty decent, as well (although better on PS1/Saturn).

Gokujou Parodius is my go-to "think I'll play the SNES for a little bit" game

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Adding UN squadron

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

the one single shmup stage in jim power: the lost dimension: in 3d: the movie: the game

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Shooting FES stream just started, I don't understand Japanese but City Connection streamed some Under Defeat and might be announcing a 'Boosted' port?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdE4Ce1WYmA

yeah, PS5 / Switch / Steam / Xbox port

now they're streaming Mamorokun Curse...

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 6, 2024

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

bees x1000 posted:

Shooting FES stream just started, I don't understand Japanese but City Connection streamed some Under Defeat and might be announcing a 'Boosted' port?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdE4Ce1WYmA
According to regular JP news retweeter/translator Gosokkyu, it's an expanded port of Under Defeat HD (the PS360 version) to modern consoles by the studio that ported Akai Katana and Deathsmiles I + II.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I've done a lot of Under Defeat since the fan translation for Dreamcast came out, I dig the vibe of bright orange shots and oily, smoky wreckage as a break from the pastel origami Trapper Keeper geometries of bullet hells.

Cool that more people will get a chance to see it, just as long as they don't think too much about which side they're playing as in this WWII expy...

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Yeah we got Mamorokun Boosted coming too. Just a few more 360 titles (SDOJ/Futari/Bangai-O) and I can retire the console for good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So, here's all the Shooters Fes announcements as translated by Gosokkyu, with a couple of extra links hurled in by me:

• Under Defeat HD is getting an extended port to PS5/Xbox/Switch/Steam from TAKExOFF (Akai Katana, Deathsmiles I+II) with a new soundtrack by Shinji Hosoe, visible ranking display and subtitles for the radio chatter. Due this winter.
  • Mamorukun Curse! is also getting the PS5/Xbox/Switch/Steam treatment from TAKExOFF, with all the DLC packed in, 16:9 support for the story mode stuff and some form of new involvement by original composer Yousuke Yasui. It's due next year.
  • Neverawake's getting a DLC expansion, Flashback, that adds an arcade-ier roguelite mode to the game with new stages and bosses. That'll land next summer.
  • A new trailer for Granzella's Formation Z remake was shown, revealing a playable R-Type ship as a fun little crossover.
  • DoDonPachi Daioujou Rinne Tensei is getting a large patch "soon" with lots of new features, like the ability to quicksave/quickload from replays and a setting to emulate the additional slowdown from the earlier, less optimized revision of the original game.
  • Happymeal have announced Final Formation, their own take on Formation Z (it's okay to be confused) with Fantasy Zone-style free-scrolling stages and a mech-customization aspect. It's due to land on Switch and Steam this year.
  • The Freedom Star was announced by Game Impact/Habit Soft. It's technically a Jaleco-developed Genesis port of NMK's arcade game P-47, but it's apparently liberal enough a port to be more or less a different game. Intended for release in 1990, it never quite came out... until this year.
  • The Japanese flipphone adaption of Jaleco's Argus DX is coming to Switch via G-Mode Archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I saw on YT yesterday that exaArcadia announced HD FixEight and Air Gallet (!). Not that any of us will ever get to play those, but that's pretty neat, especially the latter. The former will have 4P simultaneous.