Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

Have they fixed the wonky arrow physics? I tried playing some darkmod stuff a while ago but couldn't get over the weird flight of things.

They didn't. I don't consider the arrow physics to be bad, it's just that the bow from TDM seems considerably less powerful than Garrett's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wefeelgroove
Oct 21, 2010
I'm playing the new game and it's really jarring to hear people talking about taffers one minute and hearing half a dozen f-bombs the next. I think it would've helped to make the game feel a little more Thief-y if they had just stuck with the weird euphemisms instead of trying hard to sound edgy with loads of cussing. Do AAA games have some kind of gently caress quota they have to fill nowadays or something?

Also, I wish these two random guards would talk about something other than how a third offense gets you the noose.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

I tried playing this yesterday and it was so bad I don't think I even made it through the first mission. The voice acting is horrible, the controls are clunky, I hate every character including not-garrett.
I thought this would be fun to stream and make fun of but it's not even funny bad. :(

(The swooping is kind of fun)

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Thief 3 Gold, a fan mod that promises to remove loading zones from Thief3's story missions has just been released.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143659

Anyone tried it?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
There's also a new version of NewDark.

Seems to be mostly stability fixes, but most importantly

quote:

- fixed line-of-sight check between player and flashbombs so it properly checks if the player's eyes are getting blinded and not the crotch

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
That mysterious Raven dude is a taffin' hero. He's even added subtitle support.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Prenton posted:

There's also a new version of NewDark.

Seems to be mostly stability fixes, but most importantly

quote:

- fixed line-of-sight check between player and flashbombs so it properly checks if the player's eyes are getting blinded and not the crotch

Definitely a feature and not a bug, did not need fixing F-.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I bought this game on the steam sale (part of the bundle, of course) and rather enjoyed the first level. Then I came here and everyone seems to hate it. =(

My only complaint is that it runs a little slower than it ought to on my hardware.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I bought this game on the steam sale (part of the bundle, of course) and rather enjoyed the first level. Then I came here and everyone seems to hate it. =(

My only complaint is that it runs a little slower than it ought to on my hardware.

It's ok for $5 if you turn off a bunch of the in game help and don't buy the game ruining "super powers". The fact that it is a resource hog is just the icing on the cake.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Thief 4 is a crime against gaming.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm going through Thief 4 at the moment, and my biggest gripe is the loving hub world. It's clear that the devs put a lot of time and work into it, but "exploring" it is repetitive and confusing because there are very few landmarks for you to actually orient yourself with. It's a giant mess of samey-looking corridors with one or two "unique" places that barely stand out from the rest of the map. At best, it's an obnoxious way of padding the game out between missions, but at worst it's frustrating when you actually try to explore it and find you're looping through the same handful of places over and over because it all looks the same, even with the map activated. The effort they put into making the hub should've been used to make the proper levels have a lot more routes and be a decent size instead of being linear messes.

The sheer amount of collectible sets is hilarious. Did they seriously expect people to search through the tiny-rear end levels and awful hub over and over to find Yet Another Ring With A Snake Design? I have no idea how anyone would find all of them without a guide because there's so many bullshit collectibles that it feels like the game is simply jerking you around instead of making you feel like you're actually collecting something interesting.

I'm up to Chapter 5 right now, and I can't wait to see how bad the plot gets. I've read some spoilers, but I've really got to see how important an obnoxious goth girl is to the game world in person. :allears:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The developers of Thief 1 & 2, former Looking Glass employees, have a Kickstarter going for Underworld Ascendant. It looks very solid and they've got a fully working prototype of all the different game systems that they've been working on. Thief fans should check it out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The developers of Thief 1 & 2, former Looking Glass employees, have a Kickstarter going for Underworld Ascendant. It looks very solid and they've got a fully working prototype of all the different game systems that they've been working on. Thief fans should check it out.

I'm glad they got funded but I will wait to see what happens.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'm glad they got funded but I will wait to see what happens.

Just dropped $100 so I can resell the boxed copy later to (hopefully) make up most of my cost.

EDIT: Wait wtf am I doing, I'm poor.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 6, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oh holy poo poo take my money. Even if they somehow make a bad game those guys have made several of my favourite games ever, I'd give them money for a turd in a box with no regrets.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wafflecopper posted:

Oh holy poo poo take my money. Even if they somehow make a bad game those guys have made several of my favourite games ever, I'd give them money for a turd in a box with no regrets.

I am skeptical. I feel like if they wanted to make this game, they would have made it already. We're talking about arguably the first 3D RPG, and the closest thing we've gotten is Arx Fatalis which was fun but still kinda crappy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Looking Glass retrospective up on Polygon, if you want to know about the company that made the original, incredible Thief: The Dark Project.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/6/8285529/looking-glass-history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Looking Glass retrospective up on Polygon, if you want to know about the company that made the original, incredible Thief: The Dark Project.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/6/8285529/looking-glass-history

That's a seriously involved article, the likes of which I've rarely seen in gaming journalism.
There's tons of interviews and research and side articles!
Plus, now I know that Stephen Russell and Terri Brosius are working on Ascendant!

• Locked thread