Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You know those bubble spawns you occasionally see in water that let you fish at a higher rate? It's like that but even crazier rates and for that specific type of fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Green Ghosts are the only things they can kill a prepared Farmer.

People already gave my mines strategy. For food you should prepare a single stack of your favorite stat booster. Luck and speed are the best things to have, then defense. You also want a deep stack of healing items. They need to have no bonuses or they'll overwrite your good food bonuses. Lots of things will do, but at this point of the game I just buy a fat stack of full heals from the doctor.

Stairs in your inventory are for monsters and spiral maps. Always jump in holes with full health even when there are stairs.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Mega64 posted:

The only riches I need is the love of my friends and community, and luckily I can get that for free from all the random poo poo I find in the forest.

Yep

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Oxyclean posted:

Saving up for expensive poo poo makes me not get why people want to play with reduced income or similar mods that make money harder.

Because money isn't a limiting factor for them. It's not fun to totally trivialize money and have nothing to spend it on when you're still working through content, especially if you play with mods. And that's fine, because the base game should be easier for the first-time players and other folks who are just bad (or doing weird challenge stuff?)

Oxyclean posted:

Similarly, even if your money making ability is enhanced in the early game by co-op, it feels like you incur a bunch more costs trying to do multiple backpack upgrades, tool upgrades, book faire books, etc.

Backpack upgrades, tool upgrades, and book fair books only make the first year slightly more difficult to manage with co-op. But you have twice the amount of manpower to manage crops/animals in a day. You make WAY more money, way easier in co-op.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Oxyclean posted:

How do you buy the seeds ahead of time? I thought they didn't swap over till the season changes?

You think more than a season out.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Avalerion posted:

So like, how did Joja mark opening in town undermine the community of Pelican town anyway, why is the community center in shambles by the time the farmer arrives?

To be fair even when you repair it hardly anyone actually uses the community center.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lewis certainly doesn't use the large office.

I dug around in Clint's trash and found a loaf of bread. So I immediately entered his smithy and gifted it to him. Eat trash you piece of creep.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I wouldn't walk a block to fish for chub, but there was a flounder frenzy in the ocean, and I made quite a lot of Stardewbucks from that.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have a Prismatic Shard; what do I do with it?

The best way I've found to deal with mummies is to kill them, then bomb the remains; is there a better way?

Explosive ammo in a slingshot has no timer (it's hard to mine with it though.) Can be handy for mummies.

The red bugs are invincible unless you have a Bug Slayer sword (which is a possible Forge result)

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Or a frog!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A sword with crusader is an option for mummies as well. I think you can holy blades with it from the regular mines?

Zesty posted:

You think more than a season out.

I mean, buying seeds from the desert, or like stocking up on strawberry seeds at the spring festival, but buying your y2 spring plant in y1 spring seems like you'd really gotta have a shitload of money on hand. (On top of being able to afford your summer plant.)

I guess I'm just not gamer enough.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Oxyclean posted:

A sword with crusader is an option for mummies as well. I think you can holy blades with it from the regular mines?

I mean, buying seeds from the desert, or like stocking up on strawberry seeds at the spring festival, but buying your y2 spring plant in y1 spring seems like you'd really gotta have a shitload of money on hand. (On top of being able to afford your summer plant.)

so my most recent melon sale - i sent a pic to my wife to taunt her into growing crops or killing me, not sure which - was around ~$58k. this was just the gold star ones, the silver ones were their own stack too. once you start turning those sorts of profits seeds are pretty cheap/free. and that's only ~100ish total melons planted

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Poil posted:

Lewis certainly doesn't use the large office.

He is in there occasionally. There's been a few times where I have to give him something and that's where I found him.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Lewis is usually puttering around in his garden and catches my farmer rifling through his trash. Usually I care about villagers catching my farmer going through their trash, but with Lewis I just laugh and move on with my day. I'm singlehandedly reviving the economy of this town while you build golden monuments to yourself, Lewis. Shut the gently caress up.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If you want to buy all the spring 2 seeds in advanced, I don't see how you could do so in spring 1. Even if you could that would be a big investment for that early in the game for something that isn't going to appreciate for a year.

But there's the beach festival thing in winter. I think the first night is spring seeds, second summer, and third fall. I'm pretty sure the prices are the same as normal there as well.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How do I get farther down in the skull cave in the desert? Those flying things gently caress me up so bad. Should I be shooting for that rock crab ring from the adventurer's guild?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is it a viable strategy to buy a shitload of cheap seeds on the last day of the season and plant them to preserve fertilizer in the fields? Folks were talking about doing that with fiber seeds, but wheat and parsnip seeds are not very expensive; if you can save a lot of quality fertilizer (and just as importantly, time tilling/refertilizing) then maybe it is the “right” play.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There is no reason to buy Spring 2 seeds in Spring 1. The big crunch if you're doing Year 1 Minmaxing is getting the bus going (42,500G) then getting as many Starfruit seeds as possible by 1 Summer 1. Which can be done with sufficiently intense fishing or mining (but really mining is the only option for a minmax run because you need so much metal for kegs).

If you're not trying to do that poo poo then it will never matter you will always have enough money to buy all the seeds you want on the first day of each season and by 1 Summer 2 you can buy all the Starfruit seeds you can plant anyway.

e: If you like strawberries then plant strawberries, but there is no particular reason to ever do so realistically. Better by far to crank out kale in year 1 (it's the best xp per crop per day which in year 1 is the biggest consideration) and rhubarb thereafter.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 24, 2024

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Oxyclean posted:

Maybe? You don't understand why people would play with a reduced money multiplier.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zesty posted:

Maybe? You don't understand why people would play with a reduced money multiplier.
I mean, I'm approaching y3 and still need to make like 10m to afford the clock and remaining obelisks, and most of my gameplay is probably going to be waiting on wines to make. It feels like reduced money multiplier wouldn't have really changed the pace I ran out of things to do, if anything it would have just exasperate the part of the game where I'm just trying to min max the money? Iunno. Like I feel like I play fairly min-max already and a reduced money multiplier just strikes me as leading the player to needing to just plant bigger fields, but I'm perhaps coming across as a bit critical to someone else's preferences.

Like I feel like the game would benefit more from an economy rebalance or the saturation mechanic others mentioned. Like it'd be nice for stuff like obelisks to be affordable before I basically have no use for them, or put more focus on hunting down materials for that stuff? Dunno.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

explosivo posted:

How do I get farther down in the skull cave in the desert? Those flying things gently caress me up so bad. Should I be shooting for that rock crab ring from the adventurer's guild?

Crab rings help, sure, but you basically should be spending as little time as possible on each floor. Drop a bomb if you’re near a cluster of rocks, keep yourself from taking damage just long enough for the bomb to go off, and jump in the hole. If there isn’t a cluster of rocks near you, or if you’re on a monster floor, drop a staircase instead. Finally, make sure you’re at full health before dropping down a hole so you don’t accidentally knock yourself out.

You’re using a sword as your primary weapon, right? Something with good sweeping angle, long range, and fast speed? That will make it a touch easier to keep the flying eels away.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zesty posted:

I think instead of intentionally making less money, you should instead distribute your wealth to the rest of the community. Either way you'll have the same amount of money at the end, but this way you spread the extra money to the community instead of letting Joja or whoever cheat you of your well-earned profits.

If anything this should be viewed as an incentive to cheat your money to max so you can distribute more wealth among the community.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, I'm approaching y3 and still need to make like 10m to afford the clock and remaining obelisks, and most of my gameplay is probably going to be waiting on wines to make. It feels like reduced money multiplier wouldn't have really changed the pace I ran out of things to do, if anything it would have just exasperate the part of the game where I'm just trying to min max the money? Iunno. Like I feel like I play fairly min-max already and a reduced money multiplier just strikes me as leading the player to needing to just plant bigger fields, but I'm perhaps coming across as a bit critical to someone else's preferences.

Like I feel like the game would benefit more from an economy rebalance or the saturation mechanic others mentioned. Like it'd be nice for stuff like obelisks to be affordable before I basically have no use for them, or put more focus on hunting down materials for that stuff? Dunno.

The money multiplier stretches out the early and mid games. Some things just can't be afforded as quickly. Your backpack reduced the amount of time you can run around the mines, or whatever. Less forage. You have to make alternate plans like placing chests around the world, and make trips to empty them. Just as an example about how making a step take longer affects everything down the line. Later barns/coops. Can't get that house upgrade to make meals for gifts. The tools don't upgrade as fast. You turn a 2 year trivilization of money to 3 or 4, which helps year 3 and 4 in this example not feel as meaningless.

Teleport obelisks aren't supposed to be gotten early enough to help you with progression. They're there for taking a victory lap with ease.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah I carry around a Holy Blade with me if I go to the desert mines. Mummies aren't all that tough to begin with but if you're in a bind you can still wack them with your normal weapon then switch to the Holy Blade for the kill. Eventually if I get over-stocked with items I'll carry a spare sword with bugslayer on it too

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Zesty posted:

Teleport obelisks aren't supposed to be gotten early enough to help you with progression. They're there for taking a victory lap with ease.

Eh, I think their pricing is still kinda off - the mountain and beach ones seem almost useless, since by the time I can afford them I have little reason to go to either and I usually just keep saving for the desert or island ones or save for the real MVP, the return scepter.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Dragon's tooth also has a chance to spawn from Stingray fishpond's. I always a few just for that purpose. The Golden Animal Cracker helps even more which is great.

I am kicking myself for not realizing animal crackers could be used on fish ponds

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The ocean one at least gets you to the other end of town. The mountain one saves like 10-15 seconds of walking, it's more of a useless prestige item than the clock.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oxyclean posted:

I'm currently dealing with getting enough clay and fiber for making retaining soil so I can fill up my island with ancient fruit

I started doing this in my current run (going for perfection) but now I think you're better off just throwing down a few sprinklers for the beach farm (it only takes a few tiles, especially if you have qi gems to spare for pressure nozzles) and saving your retaining soil for sheds full of pineapple pots where you can't use sprinklers

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is the slime hutch still pretty much pointless? Could never figure out what to do with it on previous playthroughs.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You can selectively breed them to drop iridium ore. It is not worth the time, effort, or eyesore of the slime hutch.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I just want to say that I drat near feel that the "Elevator" mod should be in the game, in some form, already. Because, yeah. It eases a lot of the stress

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Avalerion posted:

Is the slime hutch still pretty much pointless? Could never figure out what to do with it on previous playthroughs.

The Slime Eggs do sell for a pretty decent amount, but even though they reduced the Slime Hutch's size, it's probably not worth it over another barn.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Grundulum posted:

Is it a viable strategy to buy a shitload of cheap seeds on the last day of the season and plant them to preserve fertilizer in the fields? Folks were talking about doing that with fiber seeds, but wheat and parsnip seeds are not very expensive; if you can save a lot of quality fertilizer (and just as importantly, time tilling/refertilizing) then maybe it is the “right” play.

If it's a plant that withers in the new season, that also gets rid of the fertilizer. You could plant parsnips to preserve tilled soil, but not fertilizer.

You could do it from spring->summer with coffee beans, which might be more feasible than fiber seeds if you've hit the point where you've got infinite beans. From summer->fall wheat is indeed viable, and as a bonus, if you plant it on Summer 25 or earlier, you can just scythe it all up and get a nice harvest.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
IIRC correctly a withering crop has to have actually begun to visibly grow to be scythable and retain the tilled soil--e.g. if you plant parsnips on 28 Spring you'll still lose most of the tilled soil on 1 Summer. I haven't actually tried it since like 1.2 so maybe that was changed at some point.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Will spring seeds planted on winter 28 survive?

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

IIRC correctly a withering crop has to have actually begun to visibly grow to be scythable and retain the tilled soil--e.g. if you plant parsnips on 28 Spring you'll still lose most of the tilled soil on 1 Summer. I haven't actually tried it since like 1.2 so maybe that was changed at some point.

Winter seeds (that sprout forage) planted on winter 28 will retain tilled soil into spring, I just did this. Might be related to winter seeds sprouting quickly, and I don't know if fertilizer is retained.

RandolphCarter posted:

Will spring seeds planted on winter 28 survive?

The game won't let you plant them in winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Winter seeds planted on winter 28 will retain tilled soil, I just did this. Might be related to winter seeds sprouting quickly, and I don't know if fertilizer is retained.

The game won't let you plant them in winter

Bummer.