Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Win

"Someone once said the superior man is open to all things, both new and old. I will sleep in an inn if such is the wind of fortune."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The nearest inn is one of fairly rustic standards - You have avoided the busy ports and put ashore at a smaller town, whose name you learn is Singing Tide Cove. There's probably a story there...

There's enough travel through the town that a group like yours is not remarkable, but at the same time, you essentially have the inn to yourselves. Kakita Shiran does not seem impressed with the accommodations, but dos not make much of it.

In the morning, you are free to get underway. You have no mounts, few supplies, and a long journey ahead, especially if you make your way directly through to the Dragon lands with no delays...

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Yoritomo Shou

Shou groans, stretching and rubbing his knuckles into the small of his back. "I'm getting too old for this. And I was always too good looking for it. So, this part isn't my specialty. Not enough water and not enough wind. What's the plan?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Matsu Itaru

Itaru stretched, limbering himself up a bit before getting into his armour. The heavy armour would cause awful aches and stiffness if he wasn't properly warmed up before starting to move around in it. The Lion wasn't used to having mounts and walked a lot, so he was not personally intimidated by the marching ahead. "We find out what the next town on the way to the mountains is. As my cousin suggested, if one of you wishes to announce ourselves to the Phoenix and request permission to pass through these lands we should organise it now." He said simply, deciding that Shiran was probably not used to moving around the countryside a lot and that it would be prudent to stick to towns when they were able to. Itaru asked the inn keeper of routes to take to the mountains and what the most used routes were, as well as where the next town was and if it would be out of their way. The Matsu also carefully left the matter of the negotiations to those in the party more familiar and adept with courts and intrigue than he.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"We must announce ourselves to the Phoenix," Shiran opines. "To be caught traveling through their lands with no papers and having not announced our presence here would end poorly." She seems to sag a little. "But how can we explain what our purpose is? Do we tell the truth? Do we dare hide our purpose?" Shiran appears to be struggling with matters of honor here.

Meantime you guys do have a lengthy trip ahead if you're going to try to avoid entanglements with the locals; doubly so if you're going to do it on foot. You really do need supplies for the journey, unless you're prepared to hunt for food, which brings with it its own problems. Really I am fine with whatever approach you want to take, here, but you kind of need to come to a consensus on how you want to handle this journey and if that takes discussing it in the thread and then announcing the results clearly, that's what it takes.

I can't decide for you!

Have five XP though.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

"The truth is simple enough. We travel to my homeland, that you may see the High House of Light with your own eyes. It is fitting and proper, a pilgrimage."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

"As Togashi-san said, we need simply tell them the truth. Allow me to do the announcing, please. It is my place to do so."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

"A pilgrimage is good for the spirit, and the walk is good for the body." He looks around, "besides, I have heard the lands of the Phoenix are quite beautiful. There are doubtless many shrines to be visited and things to be looked at along the way."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

"The Phoenix and Dragon are good friends. I am certain a magistrate would be more then happy to give us the needed travel papers."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Matsu Itaru

There was a lot here he did not really feel in his depth with, Itaru was at heart a simple person who preferred to approach things simply as well. But he had been taught the basics of larger battles, because you needed to understand how they worked so as to not accidentally cut off an ally's arm. He considered one lesson his tutor had told him, almost smiling at the thought of the old Akodo hearing him repeat those words even now. "Once my Sensei told me, that it is best to let your enemy see some of your plan. In their attempt to predict what you will do and fill in the blanks, often they will make mistakes and misread the tides of battle. Our foes will find us in time, it is inevitable. Let them find us on our terms then, and not on theirs."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

"Exactly," Win says with a nod. "Matsu-san is correct, the black orchid among the white draws the eye of all. Ikoma-san can secure what papers we need, the rest of us can secure what travelers would bring, and we will draw no more notice. The peasant did not remember his nose until the monkey began to pull it, as the child's tale says."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"Then you propose we present ourselves as...pilgrims?" Shiran asks, with a slight frown. "I suppose I have always heard of the many beautiful shrines and temples in the Phoenix lands. Then, we should make haste to the office of the nearest Magistrate."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

"We present ourselves as pilgrims," Win says patiently, "because what else are we? What is any traveler if not a pilgrim? Do not even the lowliest merchants travel to seek wisdom in their way? Will we not pray at the shrines and give reverence to the fortunes? We say we are pilgrims, for pilgrims we are."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Yoritomo Shou

"Pilgrims, huh?" Shou rubs his chin with a thumb, considering. "I like that, wish I'd thought of it in the old days. So who's the patsy we get to sign our papers?"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

"I am ill suited for paperwork," Win says with a smile. "Asano-san, might you take care of this task? The rest of us might busy ourselves in the marketplace and inns making ready for our journey. While I am used to the pleasant depredations of long travel, some comforts may be welcome for our merry band."

This is not a suggestion, Win is now the group leader and this happens. Asano goes to get papers, we go to buy poo poo, the game proceeds.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

"It is both duty and honor!"

Let's do this!

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Papers are obtained after a brief meeting with the local daimyo, one Shiba Inoue. The blind young woman is somewhat surprised to be paid a visit by a Lion pilgrim, but more than happy to issue traveling papers for the betterment of his spiritual wellbeing and that of his friends.

The lands of the Phoenix, as you travel across them, show signs of trouble. Rumors abound of famine throughout the Empire, and worse, there are dark tales of maho-tsukai and oni.

It seems that there is yet much work to be done, for even should the Hantei resume the throne, the Empire is on the brink of ruin.

And then, after some weeks of travel, you arrive back in the land of the Dragon, where it all began. It is spring, and the Mirumoto are mobilizing.

The Emperor, you are told without preamble upon your arrival, awaits.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

The trip across Phoenix lands was troubling. These were not good times. Still, it is good to get out in the fresh air and the walk does him well. "See?" he exclaims cheerfully at one point as they draw into Dragon lands. "It was no problem at all."

When they arrive, the mention of the Emperor changes everything. "Well, lead the way," he says to whoever tells them this thing.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The Emperor is not as you remember him - he has truly shed his disguise as a humble Kitsuki samurai and now openly wears the regalia of the Hantei. Behind him stands Shosuro Shizuka, the loyal Scorpion woman who helped reveal him. At his side, Mirumoto Chihiro - now his bride Hantei Chihiro - stands, radiant.

"It is good to see that you return safely," the Emperor says. "Many are the dangers in my Empire at this time. How fared your journey?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Matsu Itaru

"Your Imperial Radiance, there was a small disturbance in the Crane lands, and we fought against some of the Scorpion forces in the lands of the Mantis. We should not count on the Crane for support, but the Mantis would side with us in some way. Our companion, Yoritomo-San, can give better insight into the assistance his clan will offer than I." Itaru said politely, once the Emperor had asked them to speak. Further more than that was for other people to elaborate on. He considered the present company, and decided that his next part he would defer to the Emperor's judgement.

"We also have a message for your ears from the Black Lion my emperor." He would leave it to the Hantei heir to decide if those behind him were trustworthy enough to hear it or now. Chihiro he did not suspect for a moment, Shizuka on the other hand he was still reluctant. It was possible, although unlikely, that she was playing some kind of long deception to find out where Toturi was. If they revealed the truth and she had been deceiving them, the knowledge in the hands of Shosuro would be deadly and disastrous.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"Speak. I would hear what the loyal and honorable Toturi has to say."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Matsu Itaru

"He who was named Toturi, and given the title of Black Lion by the people, has returned to take his place in the Wheel once more. Others have taken up his name and image to give the people of the empire a symbol of hope to rally around. They have pledged to aid us, but request that you remain careful with the secret of the Black Lion lest it be used to destroy them." Itaru said simply then, trusting the secret to those in the room and to the judgement of the Hantei heir.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

The normally chatty Win is silent in the face of the Emperor as he kowtows. Something about this is strange, and in his overawe and puzzlement he has quite forgotten himself.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The Emperor looks saddened by this news. "A great man, and his absence will be felt sorely in the coming times. The ancestors are blessed by his presence as we are lessened for it. We cannot take the time to mourn, however. We must march on the city of my fathers - we must retake Otosan Uchi. I know the face of the threat behind this Shadowlands invasion and an Empire divided stands no hope of victory. Though you have already braved much in my service, I ask you, will you join me for this duty?"

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

"Nothing would please me more," says Win. It was true.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

"As was said, the Mantis will likely stand alongside us, in their own way, so long as their position as great clan remains. The Crane are divided; the lands, though they remain polite, are inwardly torn in politics and strife, but I feel they will turn to aid you when your strength is made manifest. The armies of the Black Lion will join you as well. And, of course, the Dragon will be at your side. If we are to march...then I have waited a long time for this moment, and regret only that I have but this one place in the Wheel to give to your command."

Asano stares down at the floor for a moment.

"We had heard rumors when we crossed the lands of the Phoenix. A full invasion from the Shadowlands? What of the Crab, the Crane, and the Lion? Were the Traitor's movements merely to weaken the clans rather then to strengthen the Wall?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Yoritomo Shou

"Can't imagine the Yoritomo will sit by the sidelines on something like this. The Mantis will be there, and so will I, Great Lord." Shou clearly doesn't know much about courtly behavior, but he's game for a fight.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"I believe that Shoju intended to act in the Empire's interest," the Emperor says sadly. "I do not expect that he was prepared for the full nature of the reign his actions have brought about. We ride tomorrow to Otosan Uchi, to relieve him of his unfortunate burden. If you have any final preparations before we depart, please, take the time now to see to them."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Matsu Itaru

Itaru could not agree with the Emperor on that, but it was not his place to counsel or question the Emperor. He had only to obey, to be the sword arm of his judgement. Itaru would nod in agreement and remain silent on his own opinions. There was not really anyone present to share them with and they were not of any consequence to what they would set out to do. Although he wanted to know if other clans would aid them, he would see tomorrow if the Emperor had secured aid from the Lion, the Phoenix or the Crab.

The only thing of particular note that Itaru did in the evening aside from preparing his armour and weapons for battle, was to go and give some prayers for his wife in particular. He had not dwelt on her much recently but the upcoming event would be of significant important and he felt that it would be proper to do so.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

Win is as he always is, ready for the immediate moment. He is a white hot katana, slicing the instant between future and past. He is as he is, prepared. Ever prepared.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

Asano went over his sword again.

He knew he would not - could not - be on the front lines when it came time for battle. When the time came, Matsu struck down the Ikoma and strode into battle. Ikoma's place was to the side, not before.

Yet again, Nonetheless, he went over his sword. A strong blade. A sharp blade. Made for Scorpion necks.

Ridley - what's Asano gonna be doing, since I am actually not a bushi or any sort of front liner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I'll answer that question with some narrative!

You set out the next morning, with the army of the Dragon--the army of the True Emperor of Rokugan--at your back. It is a small army, perhaps, compared to the forces of the Crab, of the Lion or the Crane, the Unicorn or the Scorpion. The knowledge that it is only a portion of the forces loyal to the Hantei is countered by the fact that the remainder is already at the Wall, or on its way.

Still, the small size of the force makes it easy for the shugenja traveling with the army to use spells of rapidity, and it is mere days before you have arrived at Otosan Uchi. The Imperial City shines before you, and relief fills you as you note that the defenders of the city number no more than your own army.

A rider from the city emerges, with an honor guard around him. The Imperial mon flies from his back.

"Shoju Dairu," Shizuka identifies him as the riders come to a halt halfway between your army and the city. "Shoju sends his own son to treat with you, Your Imperial Majesty."

The Emperor looks to you. "You have served me well as emissaries to this point, my friends. Will you continue in that role now? Shoju sends his own son as a representative, but I have no son to send - however I can think of no others I would trust more than yourselves."

• Locked thread