Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Fell Fire posted:

I was surprised that Utah doesn't have a Major League team. The South is also really vacant.

Politically loaded for the number of teams that have moved from where they were founded.

Baseball is an extremely regional sport in terms of popularity tbh. Even aside from the fact that its popularity is declining. It’s very northeastern + St. Louis and Chicago in terms of where it’s popular. Also California because of all the northeasterners who moved there. There aren’t many teams in the south or west because it’s just not popular in those regions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Florida doesn't deserve teams and the Braves are a criminal human trafficking team.

What I'm saying is the south doesn't deserve teams. Give Montreal their team back cowards.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Baseball is an extremely regional sport in terms of popularity tbh. Even aside from the fact that its popularity is declining. It’s very northeastern + St. Louis and Chicago in terms of where it’s popular. Also California because of all the northeasterners who moved there. There aren’t many teams in the south or west because it’s just not popular in those regions

I think the south is more about Foosball

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Atlanta loving dominates the MLB though.

Acuna is better than Ohtani btw

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Regular season champs.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Minenfeld! posted:

Regular season champs.

Burn. I guess you are a Yankees fan? How is that working out?

Ferdinand the Bull fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 13, 2024

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Saban retired and Calipari left so most Yankees fans are having it pretty rough

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Whoa let's not say anything we can't take back. Harsh accusations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Maybe in the pros, but take a look where all the college champs are

drk
Jan 16, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

There aren’t many [baseball] teams in the south

I assumed it was because doing outdoor sports during the summer in the south is... unpleasant.

Much more likely to be fans of winter sports like college football, or indoor sports like basketball.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

The better rationale is teams go wjere the market will make them the most money. Historically wealth-producing centers arent in the souts. The area historically has been agriculture-heavy. The north is (was) factory and financial institution based.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Sometimes teams are moving to get public funding for stadiums. There's no reason for a team to be in Las Vegas instead of Nashville.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

:britain:

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

rip malta, claimed by the sea and moved a couplea km's north-west

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
rip China, annexed by Burma.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Really remarkable how much of the world emphatically doesn't want the British government in charge

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Some of them got a little lazy and forgot to remove the Union Jack from their flags.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Phlegmish posted:

Some of them got a little lazy and forgot to remove the Union Jack from their flags.

can't believe Laser Kiwi didn't win the referendum

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Phlegmish posted:

Technically still part of the Empire, but the Canadian province of Ontairo has among the worst of those:

We've got the Union Jack, sure, but then we've ALSO got the flag of England. Just, you know, hanging out next to each other.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Meanwhile, in Hawaii..

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

kiminewt posted:

Meanwhile, in Hawaii..

that's just because the king thought it looked cool, which i respect

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

distortion park posted:

Really remarkable how much of the world emphatically doesn't want the British government in charge

This also includes britain.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

distortion park posted:

it's fine, everyone replaced them with the US but they didn't make anyone change their flags

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

This also includes britain.

The Northumbria independence movement is not as strong as the Scottish or Northern Irish, or even the Cornish or Welsh, but yeah. Probably the place with the biggest support for letting the UK government run stuff is the Falklands.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
How are things going down there, anyway?

quote:

“I want to reiterate our unwavering claim for the islands, and I commit that during our government we will be able to have a clear roadmap so that the Malvinas return to Argentine hands,” Milei said Tuesday, using Argentina’s preferred name for the islands, whose sovereignty is the source of a long-running dispute with the United Kingdom.

Milei was speaking during a ceremony in Buenos Aires to mark the 42nd anniversary of the start of the war

quote:

Milei, who was sworn into office in December, said the “best tribute” for those who died during the conflict was to “defend the unwavering claim for Argentine sovereignty” over the islands.

“But a real and sincere claim, not mere words in international forums with no impact on reality and that only serve the politician in power to impose a false love for the country,” he added.

lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BonHair posted:

The Northumbria independence movement is not as strong as the Scottish or Northern Irish, or even the Cornish or Welsh, but yeah. Probably the place with the biggest support for letting the UK government run stuff is the Falklands.

I don't even mean that, just that I don't think people in the UK actually like the government they just don't do much about it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know I feel insulted.

Platystemon posted:

lmao

Javier Milei posted:

There have been great leaders in the history of humanity, Mrs Thatcher was one of them,” said Milei, adding that Thatcher irritated Massa because he had leftist sympathies. “Thatcher had a significant role in the fall of the Berlin Wall and it seems that its fall and the crushing of the left bothers you. That’s your problem.”

Milei argued that dismissing Thatcher’s “greatness” was a fallacy tantamount to denying the brilliance of the French soccer player Kylian Mbappé because he scored three goals against Argentina’s winning team in the 2022 World Cup final.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Being a goon I know that you are not only slothful but also a ravisher of butter so stop this pretense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Platystemon posted:

The thing about the Falklands is that it's stupidly hard to immigrate there even for British citizens, which greatly helps in keeping it very WASPy.