Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

cuntman.net posted:

theres a few ways to skip it though and i think if you get killed and come back you'll find that they took their eggs and left

Yeah I was like "I'm not doing this poo poo" after I had tried in vain to extract some eggs from a wall of text and just moved my guys to the next screen. Co-incidentally, there was also a way to finish that quest afterwards so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Stealth is worthless in this game. Worse than worthless really. Just a complete waste.

DO NOT STEALTH. Your options are combat, dialogue, and special interactions like death. (death is often a very good means of overcoming obstacles btw)

Stealth in this game is a sick joke that I specced heavily for before realizing how actively detrimental it was.

Most crisises are time sensitive and stealth just wastes turns.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

GlyphGryph posted:

(death is often a very good means of overcoming obstacles btw)

I don't remember it being useful for anything but accessing the labyrinth.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

First example that comes to mind is the crisis at the start of the necropolis.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

theres a few maws you can feed yourself to

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

GlyphGryph posted:

(death is often a very good means of overcoming obstacles btw)

Jeb! Repetition posted:

One case off the top of my head:Letting the Ghostly Woman in the Fifth Eye Tavern choke you to death starts a very important quest.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Also there's that time you can let the weird death cult eat you. That was rad as hell.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
OK thanks everyone.

I'll suffer through the level again and just leave if I can't manage to get all the eggs and see how things go from there.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

doingitwrong posted:

OK thanks everyone.

I'll suffer through the level again and just leave if I can't manage to get all the eggs and see how things go from there.

I just had a chat with the Sticha and got a cool personal underground transport system while convincing them to dig somewhere else. Everybody wins. I think unless you're purposefully doing a violent playthrough, the aggressive option is always the worst.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

If you die in the battle sequence in your mindscape where you have to fight through all the different castoffs, you skip it and instead go to a special location and get a decent cypher and find a familiar face. Theres even a dialogue option in the first conversation that kills you to make it quick and easy.

Theres actually a few more times I can remember too. Like I said, its surprisingly useful.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

cuntman.net posted:

theres a few maws you can feed yourself to

Which ones? I remember all of them being uninterested in me.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Which ones? I remember all of them being uninterested in me.

One in the Shrine of Great Chila, one in Chiurgeon Slump.

I'm sure there's more I can't remember right now.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the one in the murden nest, kinda

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wittgen posted:

Also there's that time you can let the weird death cult eat you. That was rad as hell.

How do you do this? I talked to all the Dendra O'Hur and none of them wanted to eat me. I don't think it'd change during or after the investigation either. Do you mean the Death's Gate or whatever they're called?

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Jeb! Repetition posted:

How do you do this? I talked to all the Dendra O'Hur and none of them wanted to eat me. I don't think it'd change during or after the investigation either. Do you mean the Death's Gate or whatever they're called?

When you first meet Matkina in the Cave Of Last Words, go out the south exit, then jump off the cliff.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I just talked to the Dendra O'Hur members. I'm sorry I don't remember the specifics.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Finished the game on saturday. I was one of that target group of inXile that "still had TTON on their wishlist" but needed a sale/free weekend. I wasn't a backer so paying full Steam price didn't feel like a good idea with the mixed reviews.

Certainly worth the 20 eur, good experience. It just required to adjust my expectations for what it offers and what it doesn’t. Started it almost right after Divinity: OS2 so the very unfriendly start of this game was quite off-putting. However, once Sigus Falls opens up and it’s not just weird for the sake of weird, I started to quite like it. I didn’t even mind the combat system and mechanics as such, it’s just that the encounters were mostly bad. Good thing that the combat was rather easy or at least my party of Nano-Erritis-Matkina-Oom was pretty good in it (didn't fail/re-load any combat crisis after first try of the Fifth Eye encounter). Pretty good writing, very interesting places to visit, just all in all a bit lacking in various points.

One of the main accomplishments of this game was probably that it got me invested in restarting Planescape Torment… It was my favourite game when it was new, and I bought it again as EE-version this spring but I got “stuck” because my dudes were somehow totally underpowered for Pharod’s catacombs. But now after finishing Tides I just went back there with a pretty straight-forward mindset and now a few levels later it works just fine. But if someone is saying that combat is not relevant in PST then god drat because there is poo poo load of combat and better just min-max it like always.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 13, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is there any way to increase your walk speed? It's irritatingly slow to get around.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Is there any way to increase your walk speed? It's irritatingly slow to get around.

I think there is an auto-run setting.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Are there any really common or easily avoidable bugs left in this game that it'd be useful to know going in for the first time?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Salean posted:

Are there any really common or easily avoidable bugs left in this game that it'd be useful to know going in for the first time?

Fairly early on, there's a quest where you go into a building and have to deal with a hive of ai drones. If you leave and then come back, it can make the quest impossible to turn in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This game is 50% off for the winter sale :eyepop:

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 23, 2017

• Locked thread