Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

I haven't tried it yet, but shooting Vallejo polyurethane primer through an airbrush should eliminate the solvent interaction since there's no propellant.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Yep, works just fine. The Badger Stynylrez primer works just fine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well given this I’m going to try soak one in Simple Green, cover one in a matte brush on base, cover one in brush on gloss and spray one with dullcoat. Worst case I just buy a new lot.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh cool, I'll look into Stynylrez too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It's no exaggeration: you genuinely don't need to prime them. Laying down a solid layer of colour so you can see the detail helps, but primer is unnecessary as long as your base coat isn't too thin.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I had some that I primed before I read that you shouldn't do that, and I painted over the tacky primer. They came out fine, no difference from un-primed or primed with brush-on primer. I will warn you not to do what I did, and leave them sitting around for a while with a cat in the house before you paint them. I spent as much time picking cat hair off of them as I did painting them.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
I've had a lot of success with Brown Liner from reaper. Base coating hasn't worked well for me because some paints bead up if thinned at all. Use the liner - goes on thin, highlights details and is now my primer for all Bones.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I had some that I primed before I read that you shouldn't do that, and I painted over the tacky primer. They came out fine, no difference from un-primed or primed with brush-on primer. I will warn you not to do what I did, and leave them sitting around for a while with a cat in the house before you paint them. I spent as much time picking cat hair off of them as I did painting them.

I tried that with the first one but the Tamiya paint doesn’t seem to go down well. VMC is fine though.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

moths posted:

I haven't tried it yet, but shooting Vallejo polyurethane primer through an airbrush should eliminate the solvent interaction since there's no propellant.

Has anyone tried this yet?

I do this. It works fine. I find it a lot easier than trying to spray on base coats directly.

It's not super durable though so use some heavy duty varnish. I usually use the dip method, so this isn't an issue.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 19, 2018

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I do this. It works fine. I find it a lot easier than trying to spray on base coats directly.

It's not super durable though so use some heavy duty varnish. I usually use the dip method, so this isn't an issue.

Airbrush, dip, or paint on the varnish though. Even through a few layers of paint the bones can still get loving sticky from rattlecan varnish.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

TacoNight posted:

Got my first bones, letting my kids pick one each to paint. One got the bone devil whose legs don’t seem to support its weight. Any advice on stabilizing the figure so it stays standing?

Do you mean this guy:

What's the issue? He should be self supporting. If he's all curled up then you can put him in hot water for a minute, shape him to your liking, and then dip him in ice water to shock him into shape.

thespaceinvader posted:

It's no exaggeration: you genuinely don't need to prime them. Laying down a solid layer of colour so you can see the detail helps, but primer is unnecessary as long as your base coat isn't too thin.

Also Reaper paints are formulated specifically to work on Bones so if you're having issue try a bottle of that.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's possible that Taco's has a bit too much plasticizer in it. That was an issue with the first round of Bones minis, though it's largely fixed in newer runs.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Cat Face Joe posted:

Do you mean this guy:

What's the issue? He should be self supporting. If he's all curled up then you can put him in hot water for a minute, shape him to your liking, and then dip him in ice water to shock him into shape.

Also Reaper paints are formulated specifically to work on Bones so if you're having issue try a bottle of that.

Yes, that’s the fellow. I used the hot water trick to stand it up, since it came fairly bent. However, I didn’t do the cold water step, I’ll do that next time. An hour later after straightening it couldn’t hold its own weight. It would slowly bend backwards under the weight of the wings. A day later, it looks to be in better shape, so I guess I underestimated how long it needed to cool.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
If cooling doesn't work, you might try sticking a very thin paperclip or pin through the leg, or else add something terrainwise for him to lean on.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TacoNight posted:

Yes, that’s the fellow. I used the hot water trick to stand it up, since it came fairly bent. However, I didn’t do the cold water step, I’ll do that next time. An hour later after straightening it couldn’t hold its own weight. It would slowly bend backwards under the weight of the wings. A day later, it looks to be in better shape, so I guess I underestimated how long it needed to cool.

It's important to do the shock cooling: you're actually doing some sort of tempering to the plastic. Letting it cool slowly doesn't have the same effect.

I straightened a ton of bones by just hanging out on a kitchen stool with an electric kettle, a pyrex measuring cup to pour boiling water into, a pair of chopsticks for dipping with, and a big bowl of ice water. Just assembly-line it. Even with near-boiling water you can directly handle the plastic within a couple seconds of pulling it out, position the limbs and swords etc. as you want, and then straight into the ice water. It'll feel nice and firm within like five seconds, max.

If you don't mind adding a step, you can start with a third bowl contianing soapy water, to wash off any mold release that might be on the mini.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Update on my priming disaster: I tried coating one in Testor's Dullcote and...it's fine now! Bit of a waste of dullcote but at least I'll save my 8 minis. :discourse:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Felime posted:

Airbrush, dip, or paint on the varnish though. Even through a few layers of paint the bones can still get loving sticky from rattlecan varnish.

Yeah - if you are dipping with miniwax make sure you primed the fuckers correctly otherwise you will wreck it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Red_Fred posted:

Update on my priming disaster: I tried coating one in Testor's Dullcote and...it's fine now! Bit of a waste of dullcote but at least I'll save my 8 minis. :discourse:

The tackiness may return through the Dullcote again in 1-2 weeks. If it does, try this or similar, it'll seal away the tackiness forever, and is now my go-to for bones

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I had been using the Liquitex polymer varnishes for years but recently switched to Vallejo acrylic varnish (not polyurethane varnish) due to a better matte. No clue if it would have the same chemical effect on tacky bones.

Paolomania fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

If you don't mind adding a step, you can start with a third bowl contianing soapy water, to wash off any mold release that might be on the mini.

Comedy option: boil the minis in water with dish soap in it. You can reposition the figures, wash off the mold release agent, and clean your microwave in one step!

I have a tendency to boil the living poo poo out of my Bonesium minis, usually for 45 seconds to a minute for the smaller figures and much longer for the big models, set pieces, etc. This seems to get rid of a lot of the mold release just in that step. There's also a thread on the Reaper forums, about a Bones user who was experimenting with soaking the minis in 90% isopropyl alcohol for an extended time after boiling and ice-watering them, to leach out the plasticizers that make them floppy. I guess they've gotten some good results from that. My own experiments with the alcohol method also worked fairly well to stiffen the plastic (though it's not foolproof; I still had to drill and insert a paperclip into the leg of the owlbear I recently completed to keep it from drooping).

Primer-wise, I can confirm that Badger Stynylrez works well. It's polyurethane based, so it dries quickly and smoothly, and you can hand-brush it on if you don't have an airbrush. I recommend using it through an airbrush if you can, though, to take advantage of Badger's black-grey-white 3-pack for zenithal priming (a.k.a. The Best Priming Method).

• Locked thread