Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
This will never happen obviously, but a vanilla server that builds on the original design with small zones and encounters added over time with a completely new dev team made up of fans - sort of like an alternate reality (which wouldn't be out of place in lore) would be amazing.

A man can dream though. A man can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

it could be a real-life sliver

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's nice to dream about playing an actual good game.

But this is the Rift thread so it's only a dream. Also it's 2017 - time to move on folks.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
I loved Rift at its beginnings. I played a bard, which at that time was really awesome in pvp. Then they nerfed that class and I pretty much stopped playing until at some point in time they allowed player housing and I made a neat little house on a lake. I don't remember a lot about the game at that point but farmed some kind of stuff to bring in a bartender to my house :laffo:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I remember very clearly that the goon house in this game was absolutely incredible, only matched in modern times in awkwardness, badly-placed furniture and intentionally-infuriating layout with the goon Warframe dojo.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
The slide was awesome

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I logged in and checked the mail and have 9 people asking for invites to the guild. Based on the contents I'm assuming they are random pubbies but if you actually wanted in, lemme know.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Desmond posted:

I loved Rift at its beginnings. I played a bard, which at that time was really awesome in pvp. Then they nerfed that class and I pretty much stopped playing until at some point in time they allowed player housing and I made a neat little house on a lake. I don't remember a lot about the game at that point but farmed some kind of stuff to bring in a bartender to my house :laffo:

Tanky bard in PVP was godlike. Nothing like rocking out on the bridge while an entire warband of people tried to kill you. This game was a lot of fun in the first year of release. Very atmospheric with one of my favourite ways a MMO did classes. So much theory crafting.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I don't know why this came to mind, but running Instant Adventures for the first time was a really cool, wild experience. At the time it was a pretty new concept and when they made it unlock at an early level I played it for days. It was great teleporting around with some lynch mob beating up on poo poo out in the desert one minute, vampire town the next, Queen for a Day or whatever that little camp near Meridian was, etc.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Yeah I loved Vanilla Rift. Running around doing Rifts, I seem to recall decent events, IAs were fun, Ember Isla was awesome, and Cleric healing was omg op.

Good times!

Honestly if they did a vanilla server I'd probably play.

Edit: Clarity, some stupidity removed

Kris xK fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 21, 2017

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Kris xK posted:

that hug level island

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

I'd play that too

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Kris xK posted:

Yeah I loved Vanilla Rift. Running around doing Rifts, I seem to recall decent events, IAs were fun, Ember Isla was awesome, and Cleric healing was omg op.

Good times!

Honestly if they did a vanilla server I'd probably play.

Edit: Clarity, some stupidity removed

I loved the world events. The collossus events were really cool, and the cross shard play made farming a breeze.

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

necrotic posted:

I loved the world events. The collossus events were really cool, and the cross shard play made farming a breeze.

There were sooo many things rift did right. I really hope other MMOs learn from its great ideas and implementations, as well as its absurd, abject failures.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Senator Sprinkles posted:

There were sooo many things rift did right. I really hope other MMOs learn from its great ideas and implementations, as well as its absurd, abject failures.

That'll never happen. MMOs are doomed to suck for eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
So 4.2 is all right. The zone isn't just a clusterf*ck of random assets like the rest of the "expansion" - it actually has art design, and the questline is slightly interesting again. There's a big grind to get a jetpack mount which is kinda nice instead of just for some piece of gear you'll replace in a patch. It reminds me of the Planetouched Wilds patch from NT. I've actually been having fun mucking around in the new zone, though I can't see myself doing "endgame" ever again.

7/10 would help Animal Town again.

• Locked thread