Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So what's the deal with only 25 years since the apocalypse inside Tokyo, but 1500 years passing in Mikado?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Time passes faster under the dome. One of those random monks you talk to in Mikado mentions once that it's been months since he last saw you (even though it shouldn't have been more than a day in Tokyo)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I know there's a time difference. Who's responsible for that though? The angels? Masakado? The reactor? Other?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah I know there's a time difference. Who's responsible for that though? The angels? Masakado? The reactor? Other?

God Did It

Honestly I thought the Alternate history parts of SMT4 were awesome but they needed to be expanded upon a bit more. It was sort of "Look what could happen! Ok bye" but there's so much interesting stuff potentially there.

Also I want an entire Infernal Tokyo game

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The other worlds were there for Tokyo's 'It's a Wonderful Life' except both the alternatives and the main reality are all hosed up.

Stuck in a rock dome underneath a slowly corrupting kingdom is the least hosed up though. Maybe?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

The other worlds were there for Tokyo's 'It's a Wonderful Life' except both the alternatives and the main reality are all hosed up.

Stuck in a rock dome underneath a slowly corrupting kingdom is the least hosed up though. Maybe?

I thought they were showing you the results of Law and Chaos endings but not really? Since it's actually past events? But yeah it's basically showing you "Pick Neutral rear end in a top hat"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Neutral, the least worst option for everyone. (except the guys who got crushed under falling rocks)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I thought they were showing you the results of Law and Chaos endings but not really? Since it's actually past events? But yeah it's basically showing you "Pick Neutral rear end in a top hat"

It's showing essentially the Law and Chaos endings of the past, if that had been a game. Unnamed Guy took the Neutral route in the 'real world', pretty much.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

God Did It

Honestly I thought the Alternate history parts of SMT4 were awesome but they needed to be expanded upon a bit more. It was sort of "Look what could happen! Ok bye" but there's so much interesting stuff potentially there.

Also I want an entire Infernal Tokyo game

My favorite part about the alternate histories was how it exposes the party members to their faction's ideal world. They seem upset about it but, as this is an SMT game, they basically ignore it and go for the gusto anyway.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

My favorite part about the alternate histories was how it exposes the party members to their faction's ideal world. They seem upset about it but, as this is an SMT game, they basically ignore it and go for the gusto anyway.

That's really the case with a lot of Faction Heroes. Hypocrisy and selective perception seem to be a frequent set of traits with that lot.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's showing essentially the Law and Chaos endings of the past, if that had been a game. Unnamed Guy took the Neutral route in the 'real world', pretty much.

Yeah, SMT IV is a sequel to another SMT story we didn't get to play.

I badly want an XCOM clone about the Counter Demon Force and their adventures.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

Both of those worlds were pretty good if you were chosen by God/the top dog, so it at least made sense in a gently caress you got mine sort of mentality.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Both of those worlds were pretty good if you were chosen by God/the top dog, so it at least made sense in a gently caress you got mine sort of mentality.

They really, really weren't. In fact, in the law world there were no chosen humans because they were all being systematically murdered. :v: On the other end, humans were all cattle for the demons. It made no sense regardless of your mentality, because you were hosed no matter what you did.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

They really, really weren't. In fact, in the law world there were no chosen humans because they were all being systematically murdered. :v: On the other end, humans were all cattle for the demons. It made no sense regardless of your mentality, because you were hosed no matter what you did.

Weren't the chosen people taken away by the angels before all the poo poo went down in Blasted Tokyo? Or did something else happen to that cocoon?

And the demons were humans at first who chose to become that way. It's not their fault everyone else was too pussyfooted to follow through.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 10, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The cocoon left on schedule in Blasted Tokyo. It even returns at the conclusion of one of the DLC missions.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
The OP has some general advice but I was wondering if anyone might have any thoughts on what apps to buy and in what order?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

vulturesrow posted:

The OP has some general advice but I was wondering if anyone might have any thoughts on what apps to buy and in what order?

Just sort of work towards Scout+ and the one that recovers your party's MP as you walk while also pick up stock and skill slots every now and then. Exact levels are kinda hard to grab because you might want to prioritize differently and I forget where the point cards are.

HP recovery is useless as you can convert the MP to HP with Dia spells. The other talk skills aren't as handy as making Scout work at 200% efficiency, and the EXP boosts are overkill if you just do all the sidequests you can. The MP discounts are useful really early on, but between MP recovery and later skills costing a lot they drop off.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

Most of the apps are pretty useful one way or another, it's just a matter of which apps aren't. That doesn't matter at all if you use the in-store cheats, obviously, but a lot of the fundamentals for demon management are locked behind app purchases. A lot of the more fun demon-chatting options are also apps and not unlocked by default, which is kind of disappointing.

Increasing your stock limit or skill slots is top priority. I found being able to regen MP in the field helpful. Scout+ is handy. Summon Discounts are nice since you'll obviously be spending a lot of macca on resummoning from the compendium. Other than that, though, stuff that boosts XP or Macca gains can be gotten around by grinding, while things you can't grind out separately from spending points on Burroughs are stuff that ought to be considered first. A lot of times, having extra negotiation options with monsters isn't strictly necessary but it's an SMT game daggummit, even if they're sometimes more a luxury than a necessity.

Skill/Stat Plugin is a bit of a waste long-term since it just boosts stats of mons you recruit, not fuse, and very early on you'll be recruiting mons to fuse them rather than use them. Stat growth apps are more of a late-game tweaking thing rather than a must-have. Skill Smoother is pretty low-priority, too.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
Demolingual is good
I didn't use any of the demon talk apps other than scout and negotiate (whichever the one that lets you run away is)
Most everything else was mentioned

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm still way early in the game (on the quest where you search for the missing samurai). Are there are any good early demons/fusions to aim for?

Also, when you are recruiting a demon, does your speech choice actually make a difference on whether you successfully recruit them?

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
You should try to get a Gremlin. It will evolve at level 14 into a demon that is really useful against a boss you'll be facing a bit down the line. An angel also continues to evolve through the divine line of demons if you keep leveling it.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

vulturesrow posted:

Also, when you are recruiting a demon, does your speech choice actually make a difference on whether you successfully recruit them?

I'd say it's 50% chance and 50% profiling. Make an educated guess and you'll probably succeed - but keep your guard up.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

vulturesrow posted:

there's one dialogue path that seems to work more often than not but i havent played this game in ages and dont remember. i think it was you lie once then deny once and then walk away.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it does but there's always a degree of randomization. some choices work better than others, but there's no guarantee you won't get screwed over.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

very true. i remember one time getting attacked with certain dialogue choices and then next time the same deemon liked those same choices enough to join me

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So, what's the easiest way to go about picking up a copy of this in Australia?

I can find a bunch of press releases that says the game's come here, but I can't see anyone that's selling copies. Did it sell out really quick, or wasn't there a physical copy, or...?

And if the latter, is it possible ship in a compatible copy from Europe? Which website would let me do that?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Open Source Idiom posted:

So, what's the easiest way to go about picking up a copy of this in Australia?

I can find a bunch of press releases that says the game's come here, but I can't see anyone that's selling copies. Did it sell out really quick, or wasn't there a physical copy, or...?

And if the latter, is it possible ship in a compatible copy from Europe? Which website would let me do that?

I think Shin Megami Tensei IV was eshop only in Europe, because when I was looking for a copy I only found US and JP imports but none from other European countries.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Yup, chances are it's eShop only. SMTIV was postponed so much that they just said "screw it" and put it up as a digital-only release. At least it's released in PAL-land.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

vulturesrow posted:

I'm still way early in the game (on the quest where you search for the missing samurai). Are there are any good early demons/fusions to aim for?

It felt like choosing to end negotiations when given the option would work out in your favor more often than not.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Is there a support group for "Haha jerk, you're probably 2 points off of neutral, suck a dick you're chaotic now"?

I reloaded, sucked the world into a black hole, and started over. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW, rear end in a top hat

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just got to Shinjuku and holy crap Ose is a prick. No elemental weakness and he hits hard, and hits everyone. It looks like he might be weak to Bind, though.

I was trying to do the quest to get Osiris' coffin back too, and eventually gave up. :stare:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

irlZaphod posted:

I just got to Shinjuku and holy crap Ose is a prick. No elemental weakness and he hits hard, and hits everyone. It looks like he might be weak to Bind, though.

I was trying to do the quest to get Osiris' coffin back too, and eventually gave up. :stare:

Did Burroughs sounded worried when you accepted the quest?

vvvv e: Well, yeah: The point of that quest is that, at the point of the game where you're at when you start getting that Challenge Quest, Seth is going to be very difficult to beat unless you have the right party configuration, and the point of the quest is less defeating him as more getting him out of your hair so you can get the sarcophagus to Isis. In my first playthrough, I honest to god got lucky because of the fact that random encounters kept on popping up and making his on-field shadow disappear afterwards. vvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 26, 2015

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
You don't have to fight Seth. You probably shouldn't, and it won't help you even if you do; he respawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
The easiest way to deal with the Osiris coffin quest is to just run face-first into every non-seth mob on the map. Seth has static spawn points and while he spawns constantly, he also has to take the time to respawn every time you pop out of combat with something else.

That said, you should just be able to run in a straight line through Naraku levels 4 and 3 without having to deal with him at all; the only part where he's really a problem is on 2 when his spawn point is literally on the quickest path between you and Isis.

• Locked thread