Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

quadpus posted:

Caught a cold and couldn't lay in bed doing nothing, so I ended up recreating a piece of rare old hardware.

I have an old Compaq Portable II. This is a luggable 286 machine

Yes there are two of them there. I've got more fun plans for the other one.

Now there's only 640K of RAM on the motherboard, and no way to add more there.
The usual way to add more memory to machines of this era is on an ISA card. But since there are only 2 free ISA slots, and only one of those is actually 16-bit, something else would be much more desirable. It turns out Compaq supposedly made a special memory expansion board for it, that plugs in underneath the motherboard and could add up to 1.5MB. But after pretty thorough searching I could find no photos or any reference to someone ever owning one. So these are at least extremely rare, maybe even just vaporware that Compaq never actually produced.

According to the service manual, it would look something like this:

Now, this only shows four chips that aren't simple 256x1 DRAMs. As long as none of those four are programmable logic of some kind, there is actually some possibility I could reason out the schematic for this, by looking at the circuitry for bank 0 and bank 1 on the motherboard, and what signals are on the connector itself.

It quickly became obvious that U55 and U56 should be 74ALS245 transceivers to control access back and forth between the DRAMs and the ISA bus itself. U58 was probably a 74F32 which would be telling those transceivers when to turn on and off. U57 was a bit of a mystery.

On the connector, I easily located all the address and data lines that would hook up to all these in a relatively obvious way, as well as the two CAS lines which are shared between all the memory banks. It took quite a bit more time poking around but I also found what had to be the three different RAS lines that would go to each of the three banks on the board.

So already, I had a nearly complete circuit, maybe it would even work, as-is? But there was still the unknown chip U57 and half of U58 I couldn't account for, and at least three other signals on the connector that I didn't know the function of.

Then someone posted to my thread on the VCF forums, they actually had one of these boards, and sent photos!

Another collaborator stitched these together:

Over just a few whirlwind hours, we were able to pin down every last component and connection, and now there's a full schematic and faithful reproduction layout.

I'm sure it won't be long before one of them builds a board and tests it out/shows it off on their YouTube channel. I've got more work to do since I want to make a version that uses 30-pin SIMMs instead of individual DRAMs, for my machine.

that's really sick! so what was u58? It's kind of hard to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
U58 was a 74F32, as I suspected. U57 was a 74S734, a pretty uncommon chip, which is basically just a buffer, like a 74S244 with supposedly better characteristics for driving the address lines of DRAM. It drives eight of them and one gate of the 74F32 drives the ninth.

Speaking of which, there appears to be a tenth address line on the connector, which this board doesn’t use. So it may be possible to use higher density chips, like 1MB SIMMS, and put 6MB onto the board. theoretically.

quadpus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 24, 2024

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
spent this morning screwing around with a series of rube goldberg scripts to split apart windows 95 .fnt archives into tilesheets of flat bitmaps and then cut them back up and infer the appropriate metadata to turn them into fonts i can use in decker:

https://beyondloom.com/decker/goofs/msfonts.html

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

xpost from the weekend thread, but I’m pretty pleased with the progress I made on the weekend! half the time was spent reimplementing the camera, for reasons. getting closer to being able to build, assemble and launch rockets.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

not a project, exactly, but i started taking guitar lessons earlier this year. my wife brought several of her late father's guitars home after he passed, so i figured i should learn how to do something with them, and i'm quite enjoying it!

it is a bit funny to me that i'm learning on a guitar that would cost over $3k new

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm holding back from spamming the thread too much, but I'm doing another sprint on the game this weekend and I just finished a milestone. The overview! ~Eventually~ you'll switch between stations, space centers, and celestial bodies here.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

woah, nice!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Productive weekend so far! I've got the rudiments of the build system going, no more just spawning modules in with cheats. Also, multi-module crafts, so you can deliver parts on a little tug or shuttle. And I got undocking working, more or less.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

neato

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm working on 3d printing a 2 part press form for beer can aluminum

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gonna start your own license plate business?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm making new progress on a weird idea I'm fixated on of using a camera on a robot arm to automatically take pictures of stuff I sell online.

I am also returning a USB cable because its a 90 degree micro-b end that's the wrong way around from what it said it was and product picture shows :mad:
so the cable comes out DOWN from the camera instead of UP like it was supposed to, GOD

This'll really set me back because I have a clear step-by-step process in my head and now I have no choice but to twiddle my thumbs until the cable issue is solved UGH

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
thats always the fuckin worst. you have the motivation and energy to do something now but youre lacking a critical part and then three days when you get the part your brain is :effort:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Eyes Have It posted:

I'm making new progress on a weird idea I'm fixated on of using a camera on a robot arm to automatically take pictures of stuff I sell online.

this is cool as hell.

kpop scene is fully invested in the robot camera rigs and its neat cause they can do shots that would make a human camera operator black out from g forces

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

Gonna start your own license plate business?

yes

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Jonny 290 posted:

this is cool as hell.

kpop scene is fully invested in the robot camera rigs and its neat cause they can do shots that would make a human camera operator black out from g forces

Robots that can move inhumanly smoothly are the best. Nothing else moves like them, it's pure beauty. (That ain't the kind I'm working with of course since I'm not made of $$$ but it's not too bad)

I fiddled once with using one of those handheld camera-stabilizer things, thinking I'd mount it on a robot arm and let the gimbals take care of stabilizing the camera while the arm does its thing. That just seems like a pain in the rear end with too many moving parts now, though.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

love weird camera stuff. one of my favorite shots

Gopro to the rescue

https://i.imgur.com/sieZZnk.mp4

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wow, that clip really demonstrates how the best camera location for FPV type stuff is chin-level and not forehead or eyeball-level like one might think.
It seems really weird and not intuitive at all but that clip really illustrates it well.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

idk where else to post this, is there any good tools for dealing with web-1.0 sites? like i just want a bunch of stubs and links and for something to inject the appropriate navigation box/header/styles for all the pages etc.

i mean i could do it by hand or write my own but i don’t feel like it lmao

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’ve had success with hugo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I rolled my own theme rather than using a premade one

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Eeyo posted:

idk where else to post this, is there any good tools for dealing with web-1.0 sites? like i just want a bunch of stubs and links and for something to inject the appropriate navigation box for all the pages etc.

i mean i could do it by hand or write my own but i don’t feel like it lmao

the answer is probably "yes", but i honestly don't think you're describing what you want very clearly. "dealing with"?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

pretty much what i want is a bunch of files i have in a hierarchy that have the main content of a bunch of pages. then i want to run a program/script that auto-generates html files from those stubs, but also with navigation links to all the other files in the hierarchy.

like if i just do it by hand i’ll inevitably forget updating one of the pages and then the site is kinda broken.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah that’s exactly what hugo is for

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah that’s exactly what hugo is for

excellent, though i am pretty amazed you got that from the initial post

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

alright i’ll check out hugo.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

excellent, though i am pretty amazed you got that from the initial post

it all made sense in my head…

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

my new computer board arrived and i got it to blink two LEDs, one for each processor core!

when i first turned it on i thought something really bad was wrong because the hardware debugger was saying it couldn't detect any processors but it turned out that was because i swapped two pins on the external eeprom chip causing it to pull down the 3.3V voltage rail to the point the processor just wasn't turning on. removing the eeprom fixed that issue for now, might try to bodge wire it on later

then later i thought i'd bricked the thing because i was playing around with starting/stopping the processors and got some logic wrong which ended up disabling the debug port, aka the thing i need to upload a patch to my lovely code. that orange wire was part of me trying to figure out how to fix that problem but it wasn't needed - turns out you can connect to one of four debug ports inside the chip so i used one that still worked to load new firmware that reset the port i borked earlier

spent a few hours programming up the clock tree to make everything go as fast as recommended by the manufacturer, 480MHz on the big boy M7 core and 240MHz on the baby M4 core. pretty satisfying running that code for the first time and seeing the current draw double and feeling the chip get slightly warm when the code hit the line that enabled the fast clocks.

i have a few more cpu init jobs to do, then it's on the the fun bits of making the two cores talk to each other and the outside world. pretty happy with it so far, a normal-to-low level of dumbass hardware bugs for a rev 1 but nothing critically broken

PDP-1 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 6, 2024

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/W3xPqHT.mp4

just a quick clip, I'm working on music/audio

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Installed a gopro camera I borrowed instead with a shoehorned macro lens, lets me go wireless so that's something. Also the baked-in video stabilizing the GoPro does actually seems to help a little.

Works but I have kind of reached the point where other stuff needs to catch up, the next step is getting a little foggy but I'm pretty happy with what it's doing.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 7, 2024

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
now where's the video it took :v:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm 3D printing a focus/positioning tool to help me line poo poo up, with all the motion the subject kind of swims around the image instead of being centered when I try to eyeball it.

Rat Poisson
Nov 6, 2010

The Eyes Have It posted:

Installed a gopro camera I borrowed instead with a shoehorned macro lens, lets me go wireless so that's something. Also the baked-in video stabilizing the GoPro does actually seems to help a little.

Works but I have kind of reached the point where other stuff needs to catch up, the next step is getting a little foggy but I'm pretty happy with what it's doing.

Is that for generating 3-D reconstructions of little coral nubbins? Or is that a horrifying tooth of some sort?

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

made some progress on my homebrew computer thingy - the dual core processor now has a pair of FIFO queues in a shared memory bank that let processor 1 send an arbitrary sized (well, up to 1kB) data blob over to processor 2 and vice versa. each data blob is prepended with a header stating what type of object the data represents and how long it is in bytes so it can get copied out of the FIFO and re-cast to a type on the other end. concurrent access to each FIFO is controlled via a set of hardware semaphores that the processors can take/release in atomic operations to make sure only one of them is reading/writing to a FIFO at a time.

in the gif above, LED1 is toggling under direct control of processor 1, LED2 is toggling under direct control of processor 2, and LED3 is toggling when processor 1 sends processor 2 a message object carrying the command 'toggle LED 3' through the FIFO queue system.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

Are you basically creating your own architecture here? That sounds like a challenge for sure!

quadpus posted:

(snip reverse-engineering 40-year old unobtanium)

I've got more work to do since I want to make a version that uses 30-pin SIMMs instead of individual DRAMs, for my machine.

Got my first prototype of the SIMM board built

and tested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTYYS3hCulQ

and holy loving poo poo it works! I've added 512KB of memory to my portable 286 powerhouse! :yosnice:

Those are actally 1MB SIMMs there, so hopefully I can figure out how to enable the final address line and use all of it. If not, it's trivial to expand to a 6-SIMM version

quadpus fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 16, 2024

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

quadpus posted:

tested

and holy loving poo poo it works!
huzzah! well done!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quadpus posted:

Are you basically creating your own architecture here? That sounds like a challenge for sure!

Got my first prototype of the SIMM board built

and tested

and holy loving poo poo it works! I've added 512KB of memory to my portable 286 powerhouse! :yosnice:

Those are actally 1MB SIMMs there, so hopefully I can figure out how to enable the final address line and use all of it. If not, it's trivial to expand to a 6-SIMM version

hot drat.

also, the display persistence on that tube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

https://i.imgur.com/W3xPqHT.mp4

just a quick clip, I'm working on music/audio
The progress you've made on this is amazing, keep it up!

I'm back on my Laser Squad clone, and the current blocker is how hard it is to draw a pixel-art bean-bag in only 8x8 pixels

Current effort:

actually in context it looks sort of ok?

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 20, 2024