Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'd almost have more confidence in it if they did sell it but that's probably some kind of fallacy.

I also think they should have named it today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't understand why they're still offering it for free if they're rebranding. Might as well make some money on all that work.

Don't worry, it's just a backlash limiting move and in the unlikely event they ever actually finish it, it'll be sold

edit to make this slightly less of a shitpost: Like there are only two reasons for rebranding that make even the tiniest amount of sense (lawsuit threat from Nintendo or intention to sell for profit) and they stringently deny both. I can conceive no reason to lie about having received a cease-and-desist from Nintendo so the simplest/most likely explanation is they do indeed intend to sell it for profit (especially after seeing the guys behind e.g. Terraria, Undertale, Stardew Valley become legit millionaires in the past couple years) but don't want to deal with player backlash against it right now.

Most likely the few people currently following the project will get to be alpha/beta testers and get the game free and beyond that, if it ever gets finished it'll go up for sale.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 2, 2017

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I've never been interested in playing the Mother 4 project and I've always felt the naming was way too forward claiming it's the next number in the franchise. Like, back off, this is Itoi's story and he said it was done.

Anyway good riddance to them calling it Mother 4. Just, all parts of it leaves a sour taste in my mouth what with them now halfass saying it's a "tribute" or whatever using the Mother character design and retaining support just because people were there from the beginning when it started out as a Mother thing before they killed it in fear of a DMCA. Any fan creation that does this and can't finish quick enough I just drop like a sack of potatoes because it feels like I'm the victim of a bait and switch.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbu6ewGCmTI

• Locked thread