Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Checked up on it again.
Some progress has been made, but only in prep. Supposedly, the jams will be painted by tomorrow, but the body is still not done. As soon as the body is done, I will be taking pictures. I just don't want to rush the work, but I'd also like it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Painted, but not buffed or polished yet.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
That is the world's slowest paint job. I wouldn't have the patience to wait as long as you have for it...

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

iForge posted:

That is the world's slowest paint job. I wouldn't have the patience to wait as long as you have for it...

I agree. However, I've spent a lot of the time both out of the country, and when back in the country, on other jobs as well. This last week was the first week of time I had to actually breathe. I'm sure since the body shop knew how much time I spend gone, they weren't in any hurry.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
So that means it was cheap, right? :v:

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Raluek posted:

So that means it was cheap, right? :v:

Depends on your definition of cheap. If the quality of the entire job ends up being as good as the doors, then I'd say yes.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yanno, I only rarely come in to AI to see about car fix up help for whatever econobox I'm driving. I used to not understand the whole love of cars stuff, but looking at the photos of that car (and some finished restorations on the internet) I think I understand the mania.

That is a drat good looking car.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
That color is going to look great with the chrome.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
Paint buffed in a lot of places, looking a lot better, but still more work to be done.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yessss looking great

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Finally.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Way2slow this is the prettiest car in AI. It's one of those cars that I fall in love with every time I see one.

Anyone else see that episode of Fast & Loud where they bought the completely hosed, rusted out pile of garbage E-Type from that Minnesotans backyard?

They paid something like $4k for it, took it off the car carrier with a forklift on the drat roof, mangled the chassis doing so, and sold it for $6500 to some British restorer.

Bonkers.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Way2slow posted:

Paint buffed in a lot of places, looking a lot better, but still more work to be done.

This is exactly the right color.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 279 days!)

Way2slow posted:

Every time I see your (eventual) progress, I get a pang of both guilt and jealousy. Mostly jealousy. Brilliant color.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Everything about that car is just amazingly gorgeous.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
You're going to pick up so many hot russian defectors in this car, the colour is looking awesome

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
My shithead abusive uncle has a '72 xke sitting in a trailer, with the v-12, and it's been sitting there since before I was born, and this thread is really making me consider going and stealing it, despite the fact that I don't have 20k+ to restore it.

God drat that is gorgeous paint

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

QwertyAsher posted:

My shithead abusive uncle has a '72 xke sitting in a trailer, with the v-12, and it's been sitting there since before I was born, and this thread is really making me consider going and stealing it, despite the fact that I don't have 20k+ to restore it.

20k would be a good security deposit on the restoration of a v12 xke that has been sitting for 20-30 years in a trailer

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

QwertyAsher posted:

A lot of the problems with the V12, from what I've read, stemmed from the OPUS? ignition module. The company I've sourced the majority of my parts from for this E-type makes a modernized version that, according to them, resolves those issues. Could be a fun project, or a nightmare.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I think it would be a nightmare if you tried to do it on a budget, saving every piece you could, and trying to get it running without starting from the ground up. If you did it right, and removed every bolt and rebuilt the motor then it would just be expensive and time consuming.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!

Apparently they finally got most of the buffing done, and assembly is supposed to begin next week. I know they are taking forever, but I'm really over a barrel at this point, so there's not much more I can do other than wait.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

One might say they are treating the car with the loving care and respect it deserves, but most likely they are keeping the car there to make them selves and their business look classy by association.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy crap, looks great so far. Unless DasVolk gets the blue Viper you're gonna have the most desirable car in AI when it's done. Even then it would be close, can't wait to see the finished product.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Wow that is looking really good.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Sardikar posted:

One might say they are treating the car with the loving care and respect it deserves, but most likely they are keeping the car there to make them selves and their business look classy by association.

Honestly, If I was the owner I'd be leveling every bit of attention and care possible on to that car, just so when someone says "Holy gently caress that looks nice" and starts asking about it, the owner of the car will say "Yeah, I took it to place and they did a fantastic job on it". Even if it is followed up with a "but they took their sweet rear end time with it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Elmnt80 posted:

Honestly, If I was the owner I'd be leveling every bit of attention and care possible on to that car, just so when someone says "Holy gently caress that looks nice" and starts asking about it, the owner of the car will say "Yeah, I took it to place and they did a fantastic job on it". Even if it is followed up with a "but they took their sweet rear end time with it".

I'd be pushing it up on one of those car pedestal under my business sign every night after it was worked on.

• Locked thread