Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

IAmTheRad posted:

The truck companies probably haven't gotten much people wanting the license for their trucks. Peterbilt/Kenworth has had experience with Transformers, but I don't really see trucks appearing in many other forms of media. Yes, you see them in shows like Ice Road Truckers, but they aren't really focused on the Trucks themselves, but more on the driving.

If the game is as moddable as ETS2 is, I bet we will see player made trucks very quickly. Or hell, some modders might just convert trucks from ETS2 to ATS, and vice-versa.

Shows like Ice Road Truckers don't need licensing and I'd be shocked if they sought it. That new movie about concussions in the NFL got absolute zero license from the League and it used copious team and League imagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
There are plenty of realy good American truck mods in ets2 already, seeing as the games use the same engine they will probably only need a tiny change to put them into ATS anyway.

I'm definitely going to buy ats anyway, even though I wasnt too interested in it but its a nice change to the scenery in europe even if I get bored of the small map fairly quickly.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Right at the start of ETS2 there were literally 3 licensed trucks and a few copy cats. As the game becae more successful they were able to get expanded rights to different trucks to the point where the companies were actively contacting them about using their brand and trucks. It's more or less the same model here just without the copycat trucks announced. If I recall correctly one of the stumbling blocks with some companies were the copycats being in the game so starting off without them in might actually be to the advantage.

This is going to be another grower of a game so expect it to start off relatively bare bones then get built up. They showed they could follow that route with ETS, so I have faith that they'll be able to do the same with ATS even if the model appears to be more modular.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
They have a better chance of getting their licensing deals if ATS sells well in the American market. American trucking companies couldn't care less about Europe. Any income derived form European sales wouldn't even be a blip on their radar. If they're anything like John Deere (and I bet they are exactly like JD), they have long sub-licensed their trademarks to various media houses anyway. SCS will probably have to go through those intermediaries.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

There was an interview where they said something about the land marks were different sales. When they hit a million suddenly the companies started coming to them.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

Right at the start of ETS2 there were literally 3 licensed trucks and a few copy cats. As the game becae more successful they were able to get expanded rights to different trucks to the point where the companies were actively contacting them about using their brand and trucks. It's more or less the same model here just without the copycat trucks announced. If I recall correctly one of the stumbling blocks with some companies were the copycats being in the game so starting off without them in might actually be to the advantage.

This is going to be another grower of a game so expect it to start off relatively bare bones then get built up. They showed they could follow that route with ETS, so I have faith that they'll be able to do the same with ATS even if the model appears to be more modular.

Yeah I think there was even blog posts where the manufacturers let them come and see the trucks and record the engines noises, get interior shots etc.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
http://www.adressa.no/tv/?id=32115&autoplay=1

Speaking of going Norse.
Here's someone driving from Hitra to Trondheim, in Norway! Live, right now. They're about an hour into the drive, a bit over an hour to go.

Where it is on the map: https://www.google.no/maps/search/google+maps/@63.4816649,9.231391,9z

Thought it might interest someone in here.

tastychicken fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 26, 2016

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

tastychicken posted:

http://www.adressa.no/tv/?id=32115&autoplay=1

Speaking of going Norse.
Here's someone driving from Hitra to Trondheim, in Norway! Live, right now. They're about an hour into the drive, a bit over an hour to go.

Where it is on the map: https://www.google.no/maps/search/google+maps/@63.4816649,9.231391,9z

Thought it might interest someone in here.

Yes me I am interested thank you

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I am from Oklahoma and I hate driving through our boring loving state. It is so boring I have REPEATEDLY fallen asleep while driving and died in a fiery wreck.

I cannot loving wait for the Oklahoma DLC to truck through my great loving state. :911:

Also I'm exceedingly interested in seeing fake versions of our cities. We didn't even show up in The Crew. I just expect, as with real life, we'll be the 46th state to get made.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I am from Oklahoma and I hate driving through our boring loving state. It is so boring I have REPEATEDLY fallen asleep while driving and died in a fiery wreck.

I cannot loving wait for the Oklahoma DLC to truck through my great loving state. :911:

Also I'm exceedingly interested in seeing fake versions of our cities. We didn't even show up in The Crew. I just expect, as with real life, we'll be the 46th state to get made.

I'm from Tulsa and sometimes I imagine what it would be like to have an open-world game set here before remembering that the entire city is an excruciatingly boring grid

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Sup T-Town bro? :respek:

It's caused me great grief in Cities: Skylines. It's incredibly efficient and great! But it's boring and I want to make something else. BUT IT'S ALL I KNOW!!!

Here's hoping by the time they get to our state the AI is advanced enough to accurately model Oklahoma drivers, re: Right lane must turn left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

One week from ATS release, new thread is up!

• Locked thread