Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Ghost of Starman posted:

Trying this out as F2P right now; I'm pretty interested in the late-game theorycrafting and variety of builds, but I'm at the end of the intro island's quests and the basic gameplay's already starting to lose its luslter. (Made a warpriest Cleric to start and she pretty much blends through everything and can't die, so maybe I made it too easy...). Does it pick up soon, or is there a way to power through the lower levels efficiently, or maybe a different build to try that involves a little more than "stand still and wave sword until everything stops moving"?

(also blargh please tell me the armors eventually look better than literally just a "plate mail" texture on my character model)

Playing DDO as true F2P should be considered a warcrime, or a crime against nature at least.
VIP subscription adds so much the game it is a shell of itself without.
Initial runs on quests at a harder difficulty is one of the perks, what you are seeing right now is baby mode. Elite on a level 4 quest can hit have traps that will hit for 100+ damage.

Melee combat without at least a few special feats like Cleave or class specific perks like Smite or the zillion attacks monks get is lackluster.
If you want to see what melee is really like try a rogue and ambush stuff or try a monk and be ready to press every button on your hotbar.
Bard swashbucklers are an absolute joy to play and can do amazing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Is it not feasible to grind up the DDO points to unlock most of the things VIP gives you? Part of what got me to try F2P in the first place was the suggestion that you could do that - something about making characters on different servers and grinding up favor. I'm guessing the "access Hard mode right away" benefit is subscription-only, but eh.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Ghost of Starman posted:

Is it not feasible to grind up the DDO points to unlock most of the things VIP gives you? Part of what got me to try F2P in the first place was the suggestion that you could do that - something about making characters on different servers and grinding up favor. I'm guessing the "access Hard mode right away" benefit is subscription-only, but eh.

If you are on a super fixed income/student I can see this as being something to enjoy understanding you're gated behind a vast majority of the game for the long term, if your personal time has any value at all this would be a very painful way to play the game.

Note, you won't be able to group with people on the majority of the quests since you won't have access to the adventure packs until you unlock them if you're going F2P.

This is one of those 'it's F2P, technically' games. I started my account and went VIP after getting off Korthos island and realized I was going to be on a fairly narrow quest path unless I got the adventure packs or went VIP. This was quite some time ago though, and they do add free content here and there.

All that being said, you can probably do a full first life as F2P without too much hassle, though not getting Elite streak XP is sorta painful. If you group with people that are okay only doing the free quests, they can open Elite for you.

Very few games do DDO's action combat properly. Tera/Wildstar/BDO are the only thing that really come close and none of those games lasted more then a month for me, and here I am doing DDO in binge phases 5+ years. I don't begrudge Turbine the 10-15$ a month subscription at all.

• Locked thread