Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Skepticism is definitely good when it comes to personal finances.

I think this is the most comprehensive explanation of foreign withholding taxes I've seen, in case it helps at all https://canadianportfoliomanagerblog.com/part-i-foreign-withholding-taxes-for-equity-etfs/ It's one of many topics where I try to reframe it as "what am I willing to pay to not make my situation more complicated?" and so far I've been willing to pay for the simplicity of not exchanging US$, having someone else deal with rebalancing, etc. Someday it'll probably be worth it to me to complicate.

This is one of the papers cited in that video https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4590406 the tables in the appendix show e.g. the results of their simulations of varying levels of home country bias. And there's one showing how allocating various portions of a portfolio to bonds at retirement affects simulated results, if anyone's curious about that.

Good links thx.

edit: New Page.

Pls do your patriotic duty and buy Canadian stocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Pls do your patriotic duty and buy Canadian stocks.

Don't do this if you like money.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

tragic_ethos posted:

Eh, I'm still generally of the mind that worrying about dividend withholding for US stuff is pretty marginal in terms of total gains. The current average yield of S&P 500 tickers is 1.84% per Google, it sucks to be sub-optimal obviously, but likely not worth much mental expense if we're talking a 0.2 to 0.3% loss each year (ie. taking a 30% withholding hit on US dividends rather than 15%).

Here's a cost benefit analysis of a hypothetical $200k portfolio fully invested in XAW (https://www.blackrock.com/ca/investors/en/products/272108/ishares-core-sp-us-total-market-index-etf).

Say $100k is in the TFSA and $100k is in the RRSP. Only the $100k in the RRSP can be optimized. Of the $100k of XAW in the RRSP, only 64% ($64k) of that is in US domiciled equities, made up of IVV (54%), ITOT, (4%), IJH (4%) , and IJR (2%). The optimization would be to replace those US domiciled equities with their equivalent funds held in USD.

Those $64k in equities currently pay 12m trailing yield of:
$729 = $54k * 1.35% (IVV)
$54 = $4k * 1.38% (ITOT)
$280 = $4k * 7.01% (IJH)
$26 = $2k * 1.32% (IJR)
Total dividends $1089
Withholding 30% on dividends = $326.7
Potential return 15% of dividends = $163.35

Out of the gross return of $163.35, your net return needs to account for losing money on currency exchange to USD each time you accumulate and from USD each time you drawdown. You also lose money on the spread each time you rebalance, which you are now responsible for doing at the correct time and with the correct holdings.

At what point does it even net you positive EV financially, let alone become worth your time?

Even if the optimization is to shift all of your US exposure into the RRSP ($128k) and have the remainder in your TFSA ($72k) you still only would have a gross savings of $326 on every $200k of AUM. That's still not worth having to manually manage weightings IMO. If you choose to hold bonds or have less than 64% US exposure your numbers get even worse.

Please double check my calculations.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 17, 2024

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Mantle posted:

Here's a cost benefit analysis of a hypothetical $200k portfolio fully invested in XAW (https://www.blackrock.com/ca/investors/en/products/272108/ishares-core-sp-us-total-market-index-etf).

Say $100k is in the TFSA and $100k is in the RRSP. Only the $100k in the RRSP can be optimized. Of the $100k of XAW in the RRSP, only 64% ($64k) of that is in US domiciled equities, made up of IVV (54%), ITOT, (4%), IJH (4%) , and IJR (2%). The optimization would be to replace those US domiciled equities with their equivalent funds held in USD.

Those $64k in equities currently pay 12m trailing yield of:
$729 = $54k * 1.35% (IVV)
$54 = $4k * 1.38% (ITOT)
$280 = $4k * 7.01% (IJH)
$26 = $2k * 1.32% (IJR)
Total dividends $1089
Withholding 30% on dividends = $326.7
Potential return 15% of dividends = $163.35

Out of the gross return of $163.35, your net return needs to account for losing money on currency exchange to USD each time you accumulate and from USD each time you drawdown. You also lose money on the spread each time you rebalance, which you are now responsible for doing at the correct time and with the correct holdings.

At what point does it even net you positive EV financially, let alone become worth your time?

Even if the optimization is to shift all of your US exposure into the RRSP ($128k) and have the remainder in your TFSA ($72k) you still only would have a gross savings of $326 on every $200k of AUM. That's still not worth having to manually manage weightings IMO. If you choose to hold bonds or have less than 64% US exposure your numbers get even worse.

Please double check my calculations.

Thank you for putting in the work :). When I looked through these calculations a decade ago my mental model was it’s marginal gains until you have 7 figures in savings, and I have never had cause to re-evaluate hahaha.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Can someone with investment and monetary policy knowledge explain to me, in a non pithy or conspiracy theory way, what the GOC purchasing mortgage backed securities is actually supposed to do? I know they're doing it with the BOC as the actual purchaser, and that it's supposed to do something about making investment in MBS less attractive, but after that my eyes cross.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

IIRC, they buy the easy/safe/cheap stuff taking it effectively off the market and therefore leave behind the riskier investments that less people want.

But I could be wrong.

Edit: I'm wrong.

unknown fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 19, 2024

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

redbrouw posted:

Can someone with investment and monetary policy knowledge explain to me, in a non pithy or conspiracy theory way, what the GOC purchasing mortgage backed securities is actually supposed to do? I know they're doing it with the BOC as the actual purchaser, and that it's supposed to do something about making investment in MBS less attractive, but after that my eyes cross.

the general concept is that of "quantitative easing":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative_easing

the typical story is that additional (central bank driven) demand for bonds will increase liquidity and support asset prices in those markets, leading to increased stability for banks, increased lending activity, and easier financing of government deficits. typically only government-backed bonds are purchased by respective central banks (and this often includes mortgages).

the whole concept is not without some controversy and it's a good topic for broad discussion in the no-tweet econ thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027219

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have a question regarding "pension adjustments" and "RPP Contributions" on your T4.

Is there a rule of thumb for how much those figures on your T4 impacts your RRSP room?

Is it a 1:1 ratio in $$?

For example, let's say you have an RRSP limit of $15,000 for 2023, but your pension adjustment is $10,000 and your RPP is $2000 on your 2023 T4.

Does that leave you $3K of room to contribute?

If not, is there an easy-ish way to ballpark it?

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

I have a question regarding "pension adjustments" and "RPP Contributions" on your T4.

Is there a rule of thumb for how much those figures on your T4 impacts your RRSP room?

Is it a 1:1 ratio in $$?

For example, let's say you have an RRSP limit of $15,000 for 2023, but your pension adjustment is $10,000 and your RPP is $2000 on your 2023 T4.

Does that leave you $3K of room to contribute?

If not, is there an easy-ish way to ballpark it?

Someone should comment if I'm off base, but checking my return, the hypothetical $2,000 RPP (that shows up on a 2023 T4) acts as a deduction directly to your net income in 2023. It does not impact your 2023 RRSP deduction limit, nor does it factor into calculation of the 2024 RRSP deduction limit. If you mean that the $15,000 is the 2024 deduction limit before pension adjustment (based on 2023 income), then your max 2024 deduction would be $15,000 - $10,000 pension adjustment = $5,000.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So as long as you are less than $2k over your RRSP contribution limit you are not penalized right, does it affect your limit for next year?

Got a late slip that I had totally forgotten about and looks like I will just be under the 2k :ohdear:

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

So as long as you are less than $2k over your RRSP contribution limit you are not penalized right, does it affect your limit for next year?

Got a late slip that I had totally forgotten about and looks like I will just be under the 2k :ohdear:

Yeah, less than $2k is okay, although I believe this is a lifetime limit. If this extra $2k contribution was in the first 60 days of 2024 though, you might not technically be in over contribution territory as you are just using up your 2024 contribution room.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

tragic_ethos posted:

Yeah, less than $2k is okay, although I believe this is a lifetime limit. If this extra $2k contribution was in the first 60 days of 2024 though, you might not technically be in over contribution territory as you are just using up your 2024 contribution room.

Ohhh yeah it was. Ok that’s good to know!

I really gotta get more organized with what is getting contributed but last year was a bit of a weird one with changing jobs etc.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I was wondering about this... like what happens if you mess up and accidentally over contribute but immediately realize it. Is everything ok if you quickly withdraw? lol

You'd think maybe, but then what about if there's a few months between when you over contribute and when you find out. I guess you're penalized by paying interest every month so are you only penalized the months you're over the limit?

I guess it's worse to over contribute in January and do nothing all year than it is to almost over contribute in January, do nothing all year, and then over contribute just over the line in Dec ?

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Femtosecond posted:

I was wondering about this... like what happens if you mess up and accidentally over contribute but immediately realize it. Is everything ok if you quickly withdraw? lol

You'd think maybe, but then what about if there's a few months between when you over contribute and when you find out. I guess you're penalized by paying interest every month so are you only penalized the months you're over the limit?

I guess it's worse to over contribute in January and do nothing all year than it is to almost over contribute in January, do nothing all year, and then over contribute just over the line in Dec ?

The wording is generally you are charged 1% interest for every month you have over contributed to rrsp or tfsa. This is calculated at end of month, so if you over contribute but pull it out before end of that initial month of contribution, there is no penalty. I understand there are ways to withdraw mistaken rrsp contributions without additional tax complication at least, but never had cause to look too much into that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you can sometimes negotiate the fines down if you tell them you got late paperwork or made an error migrating accounts or similar. the people on the CRA hotlines are incredibly helpful, I’ve found

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs

tragic_ethos posted:

Yeah. You still have to declare it in your 2023 income tax return, but you just say that you will use it in 2024.

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs

tragic_ethos posted:

The wording is generally you are charged 1% interest for every month you have over contributed to rrsp or tfsa. This is calculated at end of month, so if you over contribute but pull it out before end of that initial month of contribution, there is no penalty. I understand there are ways to withdraw mistaken rrsp contributions without additional tax complication at least, but never had cause to look too much into that.
And you only pay interest on the overage. Last year I overcontributed $600, but since it only amounted to $6 per month of interest, and removing money from my RRSP would have been a pain, I just let it ride and deduced the $600 from my available amount this year.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I called in to register for the Quebec Health plan after putting it off and oh my I felt respected and treated like a person and there was basically no wait times. :aaa:

Lady laughed at me a little for being confused about weekdays vs workdays, but was fine!

I had tried to register online but might've been mixed up about whether I was eligible for a private plan or not, I vaguely recall something about my last job's group insurance plan being something I could continue but I'd have to pay for it or something? So I didn't look into it, the lady informed me that if it was offered that I might HAVE to have taken it which seems weird to me, so I wasn't sure but I also thought that that "offer" might've expired and the lady agreed that was probably possible and registered me for the date I guessed at.

I'm not about to dig it up to figure/find it out, I just want my no-hassle public plan until I get enrolled in my next job's group plan, sheesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah they want you to take the employer-subsidized group plan whenever possible because it reduces the financial load on the provincial system. I think it makes some sense, and afaik companies don’t really game it?