Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
that was true when he started making the game but ten years later never patches and early access darlings is steam lore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Gamerofthegame posted:

that was true when he started making the game but ten years later never patches and early access darlings is steam lore

I am reminded of people saying Valheim was a scam because it has only received twelve* patches and two* new zones in the past three years.

I know Valheim has a very small team, but Alex I think is like 1.5 people (probably with day jobs), so he would have a real hard time keeping pace with expectations.

* (I made up these numbers, I don't care they're wrong)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Teledahn posted:

I am reminded of people saying Valheim was a scam because it has only received twelve* patches and two* new zones in the past three years.

I know Valheim has a very small team, but Alex I think is like 1.5 people (probably with day jobs), so he would have a real hard time keeping pace with expectations.

* (I made up these numbers, I don't care they're wrong)

There's straight up a goon in that game's thread who's all huffing and puffing about how bad the Valheim team are at dev because updates don't come faster and they can tell because they're a professional developer and :jerkbag:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 13, 2024

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hell, sometimes even complete, finished, fully released games get ragged on because they don't get more than some basic patches to fix bugs and problems.

Look at the reaction to Banished from years back. A fully realized game day 1 of release and people were soon calling it "Abandoned" because it was of fixed and intentional scope and not promising more more more.

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro

toasterwarrior posted:

There's straight up a goon in that game's thread who's all huffing and puffing about how bad the Valheim team are at dev because updates don't come faster and they can tell because they're a professional developer and :jerkbag:

Honestly I have to give kudos to the Valheim team for actually sticking with the game and not just taking the money and running. They probably have contractual obligations to Coffee Stain, but 2 million copies in 13 days with a 5-person (at the time) dev team is a lotta dosh per person if they'd been so inclined.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

toasterwarrior posted:

Fortnite with their infinite money have broken people brains. Nobody else is able to keep that up for long.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's steam lore because the userbase gets incredibly unpleasant about it

It's absolutely way harder to sell a game on your own site and sustainably putter along issuing releases when they're ready to the people who will tend to go there because they have a level of trust and enthusiasm for what you're doing. if you've already accomplished that, though, from every account I've ever heard the main thing steam has to offer is a vast supply of racists who think you're Ubisoft trying to scam them out of their $15.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 14, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's steam lore because the userbase gets incredibly unpleasant about it

It's absolutely way harder to sell a game on your own site and sustainably putter along issuing releases when they're ready to the people who will tend to go there because they have a level of trust and enthusiasm for what you're doing. if you've already accomplished that, though, from every account I've ever heard the main thing steam has to offer is a vast supply of racists who think you're Ubisoft trying to scam them out of their $15.

Did you just step out of a time machine from 2004 or something? I have bad news for you about Half Life 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Huh, didn't know that about temp CC numbers. Unfortunately I'm an unpatriotic EU resident and have never owned a credit card in my life so sadly that doesn't work for me. My usual experience when purchasing even from smaller businesses like indie games is I just have to provide my card# and I get automatically rerouted to my bank's own 2FA processor system. But I presume that's because they all tend to use vendors like itch.io or whatever that are able to involve larger payment processors.

Revolut is super easy to get. Also as a fellow EU enjoyer every bank I have account offers virtual debit cards you can unfreeze just for that one transaction.