Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What a lackluster ending to a lackluster season. Man, I hope next season is a return to form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
"You are so weird, can you ever just leave the room like a normal person?"

"And those bingo chicks? They put out. Bingo!"

"Open your cellar doors and let us taste your jams."

"And the yoga instructor was like breathing into everyone's genitals."

"SILENCE, I HAVE THE TALKING SOAP!"

It's like everything in this show is quotable.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 8, 2014

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Solice Kirsk posted:

What a lackluster ending to a lackluster season. Man, I hope next season is a return to form.

I'm starting to think this show, starring Zooey Deschanel, would be better if it did not have Zooey Deschanel in it. Rename it Schmidt, Winston, Nick, and Coach Say the Darndest Things.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wow, you know what...that's actually not a bad idea.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Solice Kirsk posted:

I haven't gotten around to seeing the last two episodes, and I think I'm going to read some reviews when next season starts before actually watching it. I'm still kind of nauseated with how the writers handled the breakup. It's one thing to end a relationship that your audience is invested in; it's quite another to just pull it out of their asses without any actual buildup, over a dumb conflict that a high school relationship could have withstood. I'm sure I'll still find a lot of it funny, but I don't think the writers have had any clue about what they're doing for most of this season.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Jess has completed her character arc. She wanted a position of authority in a school, but was too "free-spirited" to get one. Now that the guys have become the major source of comedy, she's been forced into the role of straight man, which allowed her to accomplish her goals, but doesn't really work for her as a character or for Zooey Deschanel as an actress.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
they need to shake poo poo up. jess needs to get fired and nick needs to die

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Fetus Tree posted:

nick needs to die

Get out.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

don't be rude

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
One, Schmidt needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Schmidt's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Schmidt?" Three--

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I don't know, I think Nick would be pretty good as an undead person.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Coffee And Pie posted:

I don't know, I think Nick would be pretty good as an undead person.

OK I take it back, it would give him valuable life experience for his zombie novel

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

One, Schmidt needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Schmidt's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Schmidt?" Three--

Three: MORE FAT SCHMIDT. Was there one fat Schmidt scene this season? If the answer is yes it was forgettable.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Inkspot posted:

Jess has completed her character arc. She wanted a position of authority in a school, but was too "free-spirited" to get one. Now that the guys have become the major source of comedy, she's been forced into the role of straight man, which allowed her to accomplish her goals, but doesn't really work for her as a character or for Zooey Deschanel as an actress.

Yeah, I was trying to put my finger on it, but you've gotten it dead on. In the earlier episodes, she was the crazy one and for the most part the guys were pretty normal. I think the show really came into its own as the show became more of an ensemble piece and the guys got to be the comedy too while her MPDG got toned down, but I think it might have swung too far the other way

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
mpdg?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Manic Pixie Dream Girl

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Inkspot posted:

Geniasis posted:

Yeah, I was trying to put my finger on it, but you've gotten it dead on. In the earlier episodes, she was the crazy one and for the most part the guys were pretty normal. I think the show really came into its own as the show became more of an ensemble piece and the guys got to be the comedy too while her MPDG got toned down, but I think it might have swung too far the other way

Yep, well-put, both of you. It's extremely ironic that the show has managed to so noticeably outgrow its main character and original conceit, but that seems to be what's happened. Which I don't think is the fault of Jess as a character or Deschanel as an actress - I still really like both, even though the breakup episode was bullshit. But the other characters have simply increased so much in value in a relatively short period of time.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Majorian posted:

Yep, well-put, both of you. It's extremely ironic that the show has managed to so noticeably outgrow its main character and original conceit, but that seems to be what's happened. Which I don't think is the fault of Jess as a character or Deschanel as an actress - I still really like both, even though the breakup episode was bullshit. But the other characters have simply increased so much in value in a relatively short period of time.

I think it's also suffering from the reality that it's in. I'm sorry but a lot of 20s-30s people are still asking "what do I do? OK. What do I do next?" I think that's to some extent to what they were trying to convey in the break-up, but they did it terribly.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The break up plot is awful but I still find myself laughing hard every episode, especially at Winston and Schmidt, but even Jess and Nick are still funny despite their arc.

Seems better than last season?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

leidend posted:

The break up plot is awful but I still find myself laughing hard every episode, especially at Winston and Schmidt, but even Jess and Nick are still funny despite their arc.

Seems better than last season?

We didn't get any young Winston. It is not. And barely any fat Schmidt.

"Aren't you a virgin?"
"Only my penis, baby."

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

hope and vaseline posted:

OK I take it back, it would give him valuable life experience for his zombie novel

I'd be totally on board with going completely off the rails like Get a Life

Nick is undead!
Winston gets struck by lightning while holding Ferguson and now they are one and Winston can shapeshift into Ferguson. This causes Winston and Schmidt to form a detective agency.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sash! posted:

I'd be totally on board with going completely off the rails like Get a Life

Nick is undead!
Winston gets struck by lightning while holding Ferguson and now they are one and Winston can shapeshift into Ferguson. This causes Winston and Schmidt to form a detective agency.

At the end of Season 4, Nick and Jess get married, Schmidt and Cece settle in to a committed relationship, Coach is in a great place and is dating around, and Winston found a portal to the Twilight Zone.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

leidend posted:

That's a solid distinction. Even if the breakup wasn't earned, none of the individual characters were particularly hurt by it.

If the writers wanted to go full on sci-fi/zombie/whatever next season, I'd probably find the show just as entertaining. But the "new" in "New Girl" is no longer applicable.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I enjoyed some of the past season, but have found myself growing kind of indifferent to the show. The lack of action in this thread seems to reflect that general feeling. There have been some great quotable lines, as per usual, and I have enjoyed a lot of the B plots. However, you can add me to the list of people who thought the breakup was handled badly. It was all a bit abrupt, with Nick and Jess going from a cute, if a little mismatched couple, to overnight suddenly realising that the things they liked about each other were actually deal breakers. I mean, earlier in the series Jess would have found the space trucker thing adorable, so it just felt like they were rushing the breakup. It would have felt more realistic if it was something that happened gradually.

Jess has also changed a bit too much as a character. Yeah, she was annoyingly quirky at the beginning of the show, but she seems to have gone too far in the opposite direction now. The last episode felt like Zooey Deschanel was playing a completely different character. What happened to the ribbon hat and the feelings stick? They just don't seem to be able to strike a balance with Jess.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The breakout didn't feel especially realistic, but I don't really mind since I didn't like the relationship. But that is just a general dislike of major characters on tv becoming couples.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I thought the most recent season was ok but the prior season (2?) was really fun television.

As has been said 100 times already the breakup was handled terribly, they can't make up their mind on Schmidt and Cece and they added an extra cast member so now they have 2 people they don't know what to do with.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This show went from my top watch in Season 2 to a real deadweight in Season 3. Those last few episodes went nowhere. Schmidt tried to get back with Cece for the umpteenth time but she sticks with boytoy (who barely even appears) because "she's never been good with relationships". Winston's girl vanished, as did the new girls across the hallway. Coach is so extraneous they literally locked him in a room for the entire last episode. As for Nick and Jess, I don't think the writers really had a concrete plan for them.

There are still a ton of great jokes, but it feels like this season might have done better with fewer episodes and fewer characters (I don't think Coach should stay).

Also, this show kinda breaks my suspense of disbelief sometimes. Do the characters even work anymore? I'm trying to get past them by assuming we are always seeing them on a Saturday, but I don't even know how Coach and Winston pay the bills being as little employed as they are. It's kinda sad because I always thought Schmidt's bits in the office were pretty good.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Max Greenfield was on Conan and discussed the infamous kitten scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv0EjT4recc

Whenever I see an interview with Max he's just so loving :3: I want to hang out with the guy and listen to taylor swift with him or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Season 4 thread is up! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3663034

• Locked thread