Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Main problem is still lack of games ported to Linux - just because it's in Steam doesn't mean it will run in SteamOS.

Go to http://steamdb.info/linux/, click the log in through Steam button, the games in green that say "Game Works" are the games you will be able to play in SteamOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

tankadillo posted:

My old gaming PC is about to die, and I'm thinking about building a new one soon to replace it. Is SteamOS anywhere close to ready for general daily use yet? Or should I just stick to Windows. Literally all I'll do on this is play Steam games, so I don't really care about the Windows ecosystem (except for of course the Windows-only games, which are becoming fewer and fewer.)

Stick to Windows. Even with all its overhead, the overall OS performance is miles beyond SteamOS. Just set it up to auto-logon and start Steam in Big Picture mode and you're pretty much done. The only downside is that once booted up Windows still does a lot of work (you can see the HDD working a lot) whereas Linux/SteamOS is done a bit more quickly. But we're talking 2 minutes top here.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Just plonk an SSD in and your PC with windows 7 or 8 will start up literally in seconds. My entire boot sequence is about 30 seconds from power-on button press to full control, and that's with a shitton of programs starting up/updating on boot.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Samopsa posted:

Just plonk an SSD in and your PC with windows 7 or 8 will start up literally in seconds. My entire boot sequence is about 30 seconds from power-on button press to full control, and that's with a shitton of programs starting up/updating on boot.

On top of this, it updates a lot quicker (OS updates).

You don't even need a big one. A 128gb Mushkin Chronos is serving me just fine.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's becoming increasingly clear that Valve is taking as few financial risks with SteamOS as possible, so they're clearly not staking the company on its success. It seems like more of a hedge, an escape hatch in case Microsoft goes full nuts and Xbox Live-ifies a future version of Windows. If it also succeeds as a product in the meantime, I think that's just a bonus for them. If Windows stays more or less as it is in terms of backwards compatibility and relatively open software sources, it's hard to see much change happening.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
SteamOS will be a great option for a lil box that sits under your tv and streams games from your main system.

I would like to think as MS runs windows into the ground and Macs gain marketshare the number crossplatform games will continue to increase and eventually it will be viable on its own. The trend is there it's just far from critical mass.

2025 the year of Linux on the desktop

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

The Milkman posted:

I would like to think as MS runs windows into the ground and Macs gain marketshare

Yeah because Apple are totally not assholes compared to Microsoft.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Furism posted:

Yeah because Apple are totally not assholes compared to Microsoft.

I never said they weren't. But at least they can still make good products.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I find it really tedious that Valve is openly iterating in front of us. It's been such a long time since the first announcements. I was excited about the controller for a bit but now it's just wearing out. You can't develop hardware the same way you develop software and you can't keep the public interested if you don't deliver reasonably soon after announcement.

Valve is the George R. R. Martin of video games. They refuse to make the game that really matters (Half Life 3) and instead just collect money and go to conventions and make stupid noncommittal side projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

The Milkman posted:

I never said they weren't. But at least they can still make good products.

Have you ever tried a Windows Phone or tablet? The hardware is amazing and most people love it once they go past the "lol Windowz" reflex.

I'll give Apple the fact that their PC are well built, but nowadays you can get a rocking Lenovo X1 for half the price of a Mac Book Air for very similar features.

• Locked thread