Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Caithness posted:

In this week's episode, Haruka gets Yuri powers.

I laughed. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

AlternateNu posted:

Never watched a single episode of any Pretty Cure show. Did see this, though. Thought you might enjoy it.

Almost all of the footage from that is in the first three All-stars movies; you could knock those out in an afternoon.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
yeah, but the crossover movies are typically pretty bad, with maybe 10-20 minutes of semi-impressive footage each.

on another note: how is GPC doing? I usually wait until a season is half over before beginning it.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

yes

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I was bored halfway through and didn't finish Smile and Dokidoki, are Happiness Charge or Go Princess better than those two were or should I just skip them too?

Still waiting on the next Heartcatch :(

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

arisu posted:

I was bored halfway through and didn't finish Smile and Dokidoki, are Happiness Charge or Go Princess better than those two were or should I just skip them too?

What didn't you like about Smile and DokiDoki?

HappinessCharge was enjoyable most of the way through. I feel like it sort of dropped off somewhere past the midway point and while it had some good episodes near the end, the ending wasn't really anything particularly special. Comparing it to Heartcatch I'd say it was a little weaker on both protagonist and villain personalities, but it had a lot of same type of action sequences. If constant stock attacks were what put you off of Smile, HaCha is more like Heartcatch where that's saved mostly for just finishing attacks. The CG stuff is really well done I thought, too.

Go Princess I've been enjoying a lot, but we're not even half way through yet. The villains are certainly the weakest point, with very bland personalities and not really having a plot of their own. The CG also isn't really as good as HaCha's was. But all of the Cures are great so far and the action sequences are nice. Overall I'd probably rate it just under Suite, which had much stronger villains, but otherwise was really enjoyable.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I didn't really start enjoying Smile or Dokidoki until about halfway through, so you might want to give those a few more episodes.

Happiness Charge started off as the second coming of Heartcatch, but it had a lackluster second half.

Go Princess has been pretty good so far.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Honestly I don't even remember why I didn't finish either series. I just felt they were boring and lost interest.

I did watch the last few episodes of each series just to see what happens at the end but it didn't really make me want to go back. Dokidoki actually made me more interested at the end but I still haven't gotten around to going back. I think I'm really interested when different things happen that's not part of the normal stuff, like when new Cures are added to the group, or when bad guys turn good. I liked the Regina stuff from Dokidoki, but nothing in Smile really stood out to me other than it was pretty polished. I think what really turned me off the most about Dokidoki was that it was the Mana show. I mean, all Precures kind of favor the lead girl, but it just felt waaaaay more there with Dokidoki.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

arisu posted:

smile picks up somewhere in the late twenties or early thirties, I feel. it does this by just going over the top with high energy.
dokidoki is a show that had too few emotional spikes to keep me interested so I dropped it halfway through and haven't heard enough good about to really pick up again.

happiness charge always felt like heartcatch to me but I'm not sure why. it was definitely more silly, so I probably enjoyed that aspect more. either way, I felt it was very spikey, and I love that about this silly show. my favorite things about precure happen when it focuses on being more over the top and cheesy, kind of like how I feel about mecha animu.

then again, lovely was pretty much a mecha. eye-lasers, rocket punches, lovely blaster might as well be breasto fire. Oresky was always fun, with his petty behavior and Koyasu Takehito is always one of my favorites when I want a self-absorbed nutjob to have fun with.

Honey was best girl, just because of how laid back she was and the general (but probably unintentional) silliness of some scenes involving her solving everything by singing about rice, but I loved the song. still do. Hime started off so wimpy and wasn't the "protagonist" but she was probably the biggest Go-Getter in the cast at times and she really turned it around from sidekick to arguably the real main character. Once she gets more bold, it really shows that she gains power with motivation and should focus her drive so she doesn't fall to her own self-esteem.

all things considered, HapCha is probably one of my top three favorites in the franchise, amongst those I've seen to the end. it's not heartcatch but it reminded me of it a lot for some reason and it's probably more exciting.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Heartcatch and HapiCha are the only two that have Putty-type enemies (Sunacky and Choiaku). There are a lot of other similarities too.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

I just hope they stop using Hitomi Yoshida for songs soon. "Lovely Night ~Sparkling★Happy★Time~" was fun, but whenever she does endings and certain songs her voice is just unpleasant for me to listen to.

kind of miss Aya and Mayu at this point.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

Caithness posted:

Aaand once again the villain is related to the last Cure. Although they're switching it up slightly the 4th time with a sister instead of a father.

Okay, I was wrong about this last year, but I'm pretty sure it actually is the case again this time.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Caithness posted:

Okay, I was wrong about this last year, but I'm pretty sure it actually is the case again this time.

Kanata's little sister is clearly Aguri. :v:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm starting to kinda hate "They aren't really evil, they were just brainwashed!" plots in Pretty Cure. They did it in Smile when it didn't make any sense at all, it made the second half of Doki suck, and now worst-case scenario Twilight will become a completely different character after this. I was hoping for a Setsuna arc with her.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I hope Twilight dies and Yui is Scarlet instead.

Except that's impossible because Twilight is totally Kanata's sister (who has the same hair as Scarlet).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I hope that Twilight gets a new personality because the one she has now is really boring. And what the heck was Shut doing this last episode? He's not even powered up AND the precure just got a new attack which they used to beat Twilight. Like, even Close didn't make a tactical blunder that badly.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm starting to kinda hate "They aren't really evil, they were just brainwashed!" plots in Pretty Cure. They did it in Smile when it didn't make any sense at all, it made the second half of Doki suck, and now worst-case scenario Twilight will become a completely different character after this. I was hoping for a Setsuna arc with her.

Setsuna was probably the only especially good thing in Fresh outside of Kaoru. Do we really want them to milk that bone so dry it's kind of tired?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I'll give her at least one more episode before passing judgement, but so far Towa seems pretty lacking in personality compared to Setsuna or Ellen.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Caithness posted:

I'll give her at least one more episode before passing judgement, but so far Towa seems pretty lacking in personality compared to Setsuna or Ellen.

She hasn't actually had a chance to display any personality yet though? Like she literally became a character then was asleep.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, and next episode will be wrapping that up. I don't think we'll really get a good idea of her personality until at least the episode after that as they all start interacting outside of being Precure.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
I wonder if Kanata will be upset when he finds out his real violin has been replaced with a toy violin.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

What is going on with Lock now? Its a good thing the main cast is so great because the villain crew is just so terrible this season.

Also super excited for the roommate adventures of Towa and Kirara.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Lock better not be dying before Shut now, he's the only one of the three who's any good.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Potsticker posted:

What is going on with Lock now?

It was already briefly established that he was just playing around before now, I guess they wanted to make it absolutely clear that was the case and now he means business because otherwise the villains wouldn't seem like much of a threat without Twilight. I kinda liked the villain scenes in this episode, it feels like they're being treated gradually more as characters over time.

Justin_Brett posted:

Lock better not be dying before Shut now, he's the only one of the three who's any good.

I can't see that happening unless Shut pulls a Bunbee and winds up surviving. Honestly I could sort of see him running away to volunteer as Towa's personal steward or something.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Shut isn't even a tenth as interesting as Bunbee, though.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

...dat ass

Caithness posted:

Shut isn't even a tenth as interesting as Bunbee, though.

Well no, he isn't as interesting at this point as Bunbee after two seasons but most of Bunbee's depth comes from GoGo. I think after this number of episodes Bunbee had just been demoted to comic relief lieutenant? Obviously Shut isn't going to get an entire second season but if they do pull a semi-face turn with him I imagine he'll get some not insignificant amount of face time and development in the process and I don't think it would be difficult to make him into an entertaining comic relief hanger on. All of this is obviously entirely hypothetical at this point. I'm not saying I think it's definitely going to happen, just that I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Honestly I think GoPri's biggest weakness up to this point has been a distinct lack of presence given to any character who isn't either a Precure or a fairy unless the episode is specifically about them. Poor Yui is just kind of there most of the time. I'm sort of vaguely hoping this is an artifact of the first half of the show mostly focusing hard on rounding out the main characters and that the secondary cast will be a little more relevant in the back half, not counting on it though.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Okay, but even the fact that he was in charge and then demoted is something. Shut has been comic relief from the start.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

Am I in the minority thinking that Lock has been the least interesting of Dyspear's crew? Like, even though his only competition is Shut and Close. (rip)

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
So all this time it was possible to unlock the dreams without defeating the zetsuborg first.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Maybe that only applies to castles.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Or to dress up keys

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
It's the most horrifying ending yet. I think it's the combination of 3D with cheek-mouth.

I posted that picture for Scarlet's expression, though.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

It is great CG, I am looking forward to the movie short.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Next year's Precure is Mahou Tsukai Precure, or Witch Precure.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Wonder if it can be more Doremi than Dokidoki was.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I don't think I've ever seen anyone call Dokidoki Doremi-like.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
The parallels hit me right away:

Purple is an idol who was already doing cure/witch stuff before she meets the rest of the group.

Yellow is a rich kid.

Red is younger than the rest of the group.

Together they all help raise a magic baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
Saban is dubbing Smile Precure.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-10-01/glitter-force-slated-for-december-18-premiere-on-netflix/.93649

• Locked thread