Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Sometimes I will watch a Yahtzee video for a couple of laughs, and then go back to wasting my life in the internet.

In other news, my friend is trying to get his friend to move to where I am so that they can put my "antics" on YouTube. Let me tell you right now it's going to be terrible and you all have free reign to poo poo on it as much as you want. I've come to terms with my suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

bman in 2288 posted:

Sometimes I will watch a Yahtzee video for a couple of laughs, and then go back to wasting my life in the internet.

In other news, my friend is trying to get his friend to move to where I am so that they can put my "antics" on YouTube. Let me tell you right now it's going to be terrible and you all have free reign to poo poo on it as much as you want. I've come to terms with my suffering.

:justpost:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Doesn't exist yet. I am also still smart enough not to put my face on the internet.

No, that choice is taken out of my hands now.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

bman in 2288 posted:

Doesn't exist yet. I am also still smart enough not to put my face on the internet.

No, that choice is taken out of my hands now.

The power was within you all along.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Okay this is unique enough that I feel I should post this.

Zelda Williams is playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild for charity.

BotW spoilers behind this link https://www.twitch.tv/lvlupdojo

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What did Jontron do now?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Turtlicious posted:

What did Jontron do now?

I have such sights to show you... :cenobite:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Oh you know, just likened immigration in america to the whole situation with Tibet somehow and desperately scrambled to try and convince people that "the western world" has gotten rid of discrimination and if you think otherwise, somehow it's you that's living in a fantasy world.

"Researchers say this is one of the biggest man made holes on earth, but creator Jon Jafari says he will keep digging"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
JonTron white, so what?

Wait, is he? gently caress it, who cares, he's dumb as poo poo.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

JonTron white, so what?

Wait, is he? gently caress it, who cares, he's dumb as poo poo.

He's Iranian and the son of immigrants, I believe. Which makes his comments all the more baffling because he's basically saying his own family should never have come to this country because they are a bunch of savages incompatible with glorious white culture.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jamesman posted:

He's Iranian and the son of immigrants, I believe. Which makes his comments all the more baffling because he's basically saying his own family should never have come to this country because they are a bunch of savages incompatible with glorious white culture.

No but you see JonTron is pure enough to be assimilated into the Gene Pool. :psyduck:

Someone please make a psyduck for jt

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When your own Subreddit turns on you you know you've hosed up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No but you see JonTron is pure enough to be assimilated into the Gene Pool. :psyduck:

A sound and compelling argument that will surely spare him from being brained with a brick by other Alt-Righters for being a "dirty Muslim."

That's what I don't get about people like JonTron and Milo and even someone like Ann Coulter. You're trying to appeal and be part of a group whose ideals are explicitly HATING you. They're not going to regard you as "one of the good ones." Sure, you might advance their cause and give it more credibility so they can say "See? Even this person knows their place and understands we are superior!" but if they get the power and position they so badly desire, do they really think they would be spared?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 14, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

YggiDee posted:

That was the best part to see, like whenever he was starting to first get loud about his trashcan beliefs with awful people like sargon and whatever, there were still a bunch of people trying to go to bat for him and clear his name by this, that or another reasoning.

Not after this one, oh no, the entire thing is top to bottom a mixture of ragging on him and "What the gently caress" sentiments now, the only people still coming to his defense by this point are the blatant pol shitposters and their ilk.

Jamesman posted:

That's what I don't get about people like JonTron and Milo and even someone like Ann Coulter. You're trying to appeal and be part of a group whose ideals are explicitly HATING you. They're not going to regard you as "one of the good ones." Sure, you might advance their cause and give it more credibility so they can say "See? Even this person knows their place and understands we are superior!" but if they get the power and position they so badly desire, do they really think they would be spared?

Milo yanablalba at least was just doing it because they so desperately wanted some kind of validation, to be SOMEONE's little important celebrity, that the someone were fine even being nazis by another name for them.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 14, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jamesman posted:

A sound and compelling argument that will surely spare him from being brained with a brick by other Alt-Righters for being a "dirty Muslim."

As someone who has been following Star Citizen for the hell of it, yes. Some people are just that convinced of their ideals.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

As someone who has been following Star Citizen for the hell of it, yes. Some people are just that convinced of their ideals.

Maybe they see Ben Carson and think, "If he can make it to the 'Straight White Males Only' table, so can I!"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

YggiDee posted:

You mean reddit isn't clapping for him for taking on white man's burden? Maybe the website isn't as much of a gutter as I thought.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Leal posted:

You mean reddit isn't clapping for him for taking on white man's burden? Maybe the website isn't as much of a gutter as I thought.

Hasn't there been an upswing in trumpgrets and 'poo poo, I didn't realize being right wing was bad!!1!' posts on reddit? That's what I heard, at least.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CommissarMega posted:

Hasn't there been an upswing in trumpgrets and 'poo poo, I didn't realize being right wing was bad!!1!' posts on reddit? That's what I heard, at least.

Sorta, but at the same time they had to create an entirely seperate front page for every sub besides /r/the_donald because they had so many trump supporters that they were constantly getting alt-right neo-nazi poo poo to the front page

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/841116333291032577

It's poo poo like this that makes it so hard to argue with the Alt-Right. Because;

1) What does it mean to be "American?"
2) Who is coming here and asking America to be "less American" anyway?

The thinking here, I guess, is that they feel like immigrants are coming here and forcing their beliefs upon the rest of us and turning the US into Mexicafristan. We will have no choice but to do what they tell us to do, unless we do the reverse and have them do what we tell them to do. I mean, it's not like this country is known for its freedoms or melding of cultures or anything like that.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
ugh, so he's a white supremacists, and a weeb.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jamesman posted:

1) What does it mean to be "American?"
2) Who is coming here and asking America to be "less American" anyway?

1) Being American is being free. Like, loving freedom levels of free. Its really freeing.

2) Everyone ever because they are called FREEDOM FRIES GOD DAMNIT GET IT RIGHT! And get me more syrup for these Freedom Toast.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tired Moritz posted:

ugh, so he's a white supremacists, and a weeb.

He's saying that you wouldn't DARE to think of a predominantly Asian country being forced to assimilate to white culture, yet here in White America, we're being asked to assimilate and submitting without a fight! HOW WEIRD IS THAT?!

Even though white people totally did force parts of Asia to assimilate to white cultures in the past, and through natural spread of cultures and ideas as a whole, you totally do see plenty of westernization in the east BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT THERE IS SOMETHING BAD HAPPENING AND YOU WOULD BE A FOOL NOT TO SEE IT!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Jamesman posted:

Even though white people totally did force parts of Asia to assimilate to white cultures in the past, and through natural spread of cultures and ideas as a whole, you totally do see plenty of westernization in the east BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT THERE IS SOMETHING BAD HAPPENING AND YOU WOULD BE A FOOL NOT TO SEE IT!
Yeah it's not like Americans wrote Constitution of Japan or anything.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Jamesman posted:

He's saying that you wouldn't DARE to think of a predominantly Asian country being forced to assimilate to white culture, yet here in White America, we're being asked to assimilate and submitting without a fight! HOW WEIRD IS THAT?!

I think, on the Right, there is a perception that there is a double standard at play. Certainly on places like Twitter, there are plenty of comments that XYZ is "too white" or has "too many white people", and if that's your environment, and impression of the Left, you're going to start projecting that onto news articles and other mainstream opinions.

Anyway, I think the main disconnect going on is that the Left sees race as... well... genetics, but the Right quite often uses and sees race as a shorthand to culture, which is what it's principally concerned with. Nine times out of ten, when someone on the Right criticises Muslims, what they really object to is the culture that is spreading through the Middle East. What's more, the further from the centre you go, the more likely you are to see people who think race and culture are inextricably linked, which is literally why white supremacists are still a thing--whites built the entire Western world so why wouldn't they be the best race? (Although I think some white supremacists think Asians are even better, given the Asian nations' astonishing pace of industrialisation.)

The Left's problem is that it projects white supremacist thought patterns onto the moderate Right. I get it--being outraged about something literally gives you a dopamine rush, but it's extremely unhelpful for actual cogent political debate. The Right, for its part, needs to stop using such sloppy rhetoric and stop assuming that everyone knows what they mean and that the Left is just disingenuous.

Since we're talking about Steve King, note that when asked to walk his statement back, he doubled down, but did make it clear he was talking about culture, not race/genetics.

Sorry if this post is boring, but I'm getting a bit sick of seeing everyone getting called a white supremacist, since it cheapens the term and makes it less powerful.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

The Evil Thing posted:

I think, on the Right, there is a perception that there is a double standard at play. Certainly on places like Twitter, there are plenty of comments that XYZ is "too white" or has "too many white people", and if that's your environment, and impression of the Left, you're going to start projecting that onto news articles and other mainstream opinions.

Anyway, I think the main disconnect going on is that the Left sees race as... well... genetics, but the Right quite often uses and sees race as a shorthand to culture, which is what it's principally concerned with. Nine times out of ten, when someone on the Right criticises Muslims, what they really object to is the culture that is spreading through the Middle East. What's more, the further from the centre you go, the more likely you are to see people who think race and culture are inextricably linked, which is literally why white supremacists are still a thing--whites built the entire Western world so why wouldn't they be the best race? (Although I think some white supremacists think Asians are even better, given the Asian nations' astonishing pace of industrialisation.)

The Left's problem is that it projects white supremacist thought patterns onto the moderate Right. I get it--being outraged about something literally gives you a dopamine rush, but it's extremely unhelpful for actual cogent political debate. The Right, for its part, needs to stop using such sloppy rhetoric and stop assuming that everyone knows what they mean and that the Left is just disingenuous.

Since we're talking about Steve King, note that when asked to walk his statement back, he doubled down, but did make it clear he was talking about culture, not race/genetics.

Sorry if this post is boring, but I'm getting a bit sick of seeing everyone getting called a white supremacist, since it cheapens the term and makes it less powerful.

The moderate right has no idea what it wants because there's no coherent "moderate right" position. There're the restrictionists, the "let's be like Canada and use a points system!" people, the temp worker fans, etc. etc. But they have a hard time avoiding being tarnished by the white supremacists because they keep working with people, like Steve King, who have a strong habit of conflating race and culture in a way that's at best insulting to everyone outside the circle of people who agree with them, and at worst is basically repeating white supremacist talking points with a veneer of "but the culture!"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

whowhatwhere posted:

The moderate right has no idea what it wants because there's no coherent "moderate right" position.

The moderate right is the democrats and they have a very coherent "we love capitalism" -position

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The Evil Thing posted:

I think it's a great post myself.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Jon Tron finishes up recording a video where he yells at video games and has a cutaway where he wears a diaper in service of a joke: "I'm a thought leader"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Evil Thing posted:

I pine for the old days when accusing someone of being a white supremacist would shatter a man's body like a hammer upon a geode.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Evil Thing posted:

I'm pretty okay calling JonTron a white supremacist since the only cultures he's criticizing for existing too closely to him are non-white ones.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

The Evil Thing posted:

The Left's problem is that it projects white supremacist thought patterns onto the moderate Right. I get it--being outraged about something literally gives you a dopamine rush, but it's extremely unhelpful for actual cogent political debate.

Have you ever been on Facebook? Those dopamine-triggering articles certainly aren't unique to the Left! It has a lot to do with the whole Obamacare/ACA disconnect and the "he's a Muslim" kind of thing that happened for the last 8 years.

whowhatwhere addresses it as well.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

clearly not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlUld1yXKRo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Eh, I don't do anything with this thread (and certainly didn't retitle it). If someone wants to take reins, please feel free to start your own.

• Locked thread