Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Having Part 1 and Part 2 in your movie title is super lame anyway, I'm glad they are changing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I imagine Avengers: The Infinity Gauntlet and Avengers: Infinity War are the obvious choices.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Keep it simple: THE THANOS QUEST / THE INFINITY GAUNTLET.

e: dammit

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

Avengers 3: Infinity War
Avengers Forever. This is when the franchise starts to go down the Schumacher road and Iron Man gets little nipples on his armor.

I'm pretty sure the Iron Man equivalent is adding a nose to the armor

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Avengers V Thanos : Gauntlet of Infinity

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Avengers and the Gauntlet of the Infinity Skull

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here
Avengers 3: With Avengance

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Tony gets stuck in the past the whole movie, his motivations are guilt for past mistakes and acting on them without caution while Cap actually thinks of what's ahead. It's a pretty cool flip in their dynamics.

Tony is pretty messed up by the end of this, not cartoon villain like in the comic but you'd be hardpressed to find someone take his side

yo what's up i'm a guy who just saw civil war and is 10000% on Tony's side
Almost all of the conflict between Cap and Tony was caused by Cap being an immense loving idiot. Like, Cap refuses to sign the Sokovia Accords because he doesn't want to have oversight. Not because he doesn't trust the UN to be able to make a decision quickly in a crisis, or because he doesn't want to be restricted in where he can go and what he can do, but because he doesn't want to "shift the blame" for when his team fucks up. I get that he talked about not wanting to be at the whims of political agendas, which is a legitimate concern, but that was not even vaguely explored AND was countered pretty handily by Tony's point that doing it voluntarily meant they could negotiate so they could avoid the worst of it.
Plus that wasn't even the main drive of their conflict, so it's not actually important. Bucky is the main cause of their conflict, and Cap being blinded by wanting to get his friend back so he makes incredible mistakes. Like when Cap decides that, instead of trusting his team to not let a suspect be summarily executed, he needs to go and severely injure dozens of police officers to help out his buddy who may have just bombed the UN? And then when he finds out Zemo's behind it all, he doesn't even try to talk to Tony or any of the other Avengers. I get why he had to take off and hide from the police after Bucky broke out of the Shame Cube, but why couldn't he even try to talk to the team about this apparently world-threatening death squad?
You say that Tony is motivated by past mistakes while Cap is thinking about the future, but I thought it was almost the opposite. Yes, Tony is focused on the mistakes they made in AoU and in the opening scene, but he's not focused on making up for it so much as on making sure it doesn't happen again, and making sure the team doesn't fall on the wrong side of the law - that's him thinking of what's ahead. Cap, meanwhile, is just concerned with his war buddy Bucky, who he is willing to put over his entire team. That's him being overly, massively concerned with the past instead of the present.
Throughout the movie, Tony seemed to be the guy focused entirely on how to make the best of a bad situation, that being all the collateral damage the team causes and the public outcry against it, while Cap was more concerned with Bucky's perfect jawline and windswept hair to bother with helping out his own team. And sure, Tony hosed up a lot of it (locking up Scarlet Witch for no reason, for example, and recruiting a literal child for a fight he knew nothing about) and he was extremely abrasive and probably did not present his case well, but he actually had a case, which is one better than Cap. Hell, Cap wasn't even the one who got the proof that Bucky was innocent - that was Tony and the very police force Cap and Bucky already decimated. If he'd worked with them instead of against them, Cap could have managed that by the end of the second act. Instead, he refused to trust the guys he'd spent ages fighting alongside and just went off on his own to accomplish literally nothing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Avengers Fart 1.
Avengers Fart #2

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

dordreff posted:

yo what's up i'm a guy who just saw civil war and is 10000% on Tony's side
Almost all of the conflict between Cap and Tony was caused by Cap being an immense loving idiot. Like, Cap refuses to sign the Sokovia Accords because he doesn't want to have oversight. Not because he doesn't trust the UN to be able to make a decision quickly in a crisis, or because he doesn't want to be restricted in where he can go and what he can do, but because he doesn't want to "shift the blame" for when his team fucks up. I get that he talked about not wanting to be at the whims of political agendas, which is a legitimate concern, but that was not even vaguely explored AND was countered pretty handily by Tony's point that doing it voluntarily meant they could negotiate so they could avoid the worst of it.
Plus that wasn't even the main drive of their conflict, so it's not actually important. Bucky is the main cause of their conflict, and Cap being blinded by wanting to get his friend back so he makes incredible mistakes. Like when Cap decides that, instead of trusting his team to not let a suspect be summarily executed, he needs to go and severely injure dozens of police officers to help out his buddy who may have just bombed the UN? And then when he finds out Zemo's behind it all, he doesn't even try to talk to Tony or any of the other Avengers. I get why he had to take off and hide from the police after Bucky broke out of the Shame Cube, but why couldn't he even try to talk to the team about this apparently world-threatening death squad?
You say that Tony is motivated by past mistakes while Cap is thinking about the future, but I thought it was almost the opposite. Yes, Tony is focused on the mistakes they made in AoU and in the opening scene, but he's not focused on making up for it so much as on making sure it doesn't happen again, and making sure the team doesn't fall on the wrong side of the law - that's him thinking of what's ahead. Cap, meanwhile, is just concerned with his war buddy Bucky, who he is willing to put over his entire team. That's him being overly, massively concerned with the past instead of the present.
Throughout the movie, Tony seemed to be the guy focused entirely on how to make the best of a bad situation, that being all the collateral damage the team causes and the public outcry against it, while Cap was more concerned with Bucky's perfect jawline and windswept hair to bother with helping out his own team. And sure, Tony hosed up a lot of it (locking up Scarlet Witch for no reason, for example, and recruiting a literal child for a fight he knew nothing about) and he was extremely abrasive and probably did not present his case well, but he actually had a case, which is one better than Cap. Hell, Cap wasn't even the one who got the proof that Bucky was innocent - that was Tony and the very police force Cap and Bucky already decimated. If he'd worked with them instead of against them, Cap could have managed that by the end of the second act. Instead, he refused to trust the guys he'd spent ages fighting alongside and just went off on his own to accomplish literally nothing.

I think his argument is pretty fair, ultimately all the act changes is that someone tells them what to do when, which doesn't address the problem of how they got there: causalities, nothing on the act works to prevent them, just has the U.N. have control of the Avengers, which yeah is better than the Avengers no longer being a thing, but on the core of things Steve's point of shifting the blame is a valid concern since the only thing that'd really change would be governments accepting them more, which isn't something vital for saving lives.

Well, Cap was ready to take Bucky in, wanting to be first because as far as he knew the task force would've just offed him on the spot, then he gets in the apartment and turns out Bucky's hiding alone and has a notebook that shows he's been trying to remember, enough evidence for Cap that Bucky didn't do it and he's not who bombed the place, and before they can really think of doing something about that the cool-rear end no-car car chase begins and we're thrusted to the next act. I feel like at that point he's got enough reason not to trust Tony that much, he figured out that there's some stuff going on by the time he and Bucky have to escape but with all the registration act stuff going on the absolute best case scenario would be Bucky locked up for good because he doesn't have evidence of Zemo's intervention and Tony is seemingly willing to bend over for the U.N. pretty hard since he's literally keeping Wanda a prisoner at that very moment.

I think this is ultimately just how we see the movies, but all those actions Tony did are more knee-jerk reactions in my eyes, which fit with keeping Wanda a prisoner since he's just doing whatever presents itself as a chance to make up for what he's done badly, fitting with how his first scene is using a billion science dollars to relive that time he was an rear end in a top hat to his dad before he went and died and ending by fighting Cap and Bucky due to seeing a tape of that death. Meanwhile presented with a similar situation was Cap taking Peggy's words to heart of not letting the world push him around after finding his identity in the last movie, not acting to avenge Peggy or anything, just keeping her memory alive in his actions as he does what he must do to keep doing good in the world. He's still far too idealistic, which can easily be read as idiotic, but idk, i'm a sucker for idealism and I loved Cap's story here after how good he was in Winter Soldier.

Just two days 'till the CIA talk can end

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

dordreff posted:

Not because he doesn't trust the UN to be able to make a decision quickly in a crisis, or because he doesn't want to be restricted in where he can go and what he can do

No, I recall that either he or someone else on his side specifically mentions these as rationales.

quote:

Bucky is the main cause of their conflict, and Cap being blinded by wanting to get his friend back so he makes incredible mistakes. Like when Cap decides that, instead of trusting his team to not let a suspect be summarily executed, he needs to go and severely injure dozens of police officers to help out his buddy who may have just bombed the UN?

His concern seems justified. The government sent a load of special ops guys with guns to take down Bucky who literally were shooting to kill. It's not really a radical leap to assume that the government who tried to kill Bucky may try to kill Bucky. Seeing as, y'know, they did.

quote:

I feel that's unfair and not representative of the movie. Cap is ready to sign the accords on the basis that Bucky will be imprisoned but looked after because Cap doesn't want to escalate things. It's when he learns that Tony has basically imprisoned Wanda without trial (albeit in a really nice place to be imprisoned) that he refuses to sign. It's that which stops the compromise, not some blind unbending loyalty to Bucky that supersedes everything else. After that you have Zemo as the psychiatrist, the break out from the building and things get kicked into high gear.

quote:

There's one thing you're forgetting though.

Cap was right. :smug:

Also the only reason they managed to capture Bucky is because of Cap's involvement. Without him Bucky would likely either be dead from Black Panther's attack or escaped. The only way it ends well is with Cap being a loose cannon to some degree, otherwise he wouldn't have been captured and there would be no Zemo as a psychiatrist.

That said I do think They could have done more to justify Cap refusing to try and convince Tony post-helicopter crash, but it's not a massive problem for me.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 5, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Avengers V: Thanos: Harvest Moon: Back to Nature

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Captain America: Civil War part two:siege.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

zoux posted:

What good is American global hegemony if we have to wait two extra weeks for our own goddamn movies.

Allegedly having big movies release overseas first curbs the amount of overall piracy. So I guess what I'm saying is Americans needs to pirate movies more.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

One of the four other winter soldiers was let out, right?
I'm sure one of the tanks was open with an empty chair and we only saw three corpses.
On hearing his point, I have no idea why the bad guy would do that.

e: The end-end credit scene isn't worth waiting for, BTW.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 5, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm sure one of the tanks was open with an empty chair and we only saw three corpses.

I'm pretty sure Zemo killed them all. He says as much anyway, and I don't think he has a reason to lie about that. If one of the tanks was empty I bet it was an error, or it was supposed to be the old tank Bucky was kept in or something

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ever since they changed to two, they rarely are. The important one is first.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Ever since they changed to two, they rarely are. The important one is first.

Whachu say about the kebab shop scene, bud?!

\/ Avengers has Thanos mid, kebab end. I know which one I found more important.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 5, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was in the single stinger era.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

While on the subject of the tanks, was it me or did one of the super soldiers look exactly like Zemo? like I was assuming it was his dad up until Zemo told his story and then tried to off himself. Like, the guy he looked at specifically at the tank had the same hairstyle and face?

Also that final post-credit scene is amazing and worth the wait.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A scene with Banner and Thor to tease Thor3 would've been great, since their absence was mentioned in the movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Russos said they considered that at one point.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Away all Goats posted:

Allegedly having big movies release overseas first curbs the amount of overall piracy. So I guess what I'm saying is Americans needs to pirate movies more.

That makes no sense. Every country pirates movies, but the US has some of the strictest laws about it.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
What an absurd film!

The literal embodiment of America freaks out so violently over the idea of the UN having oversight of what they're doing and the havok they're causing around the world, that they go apeshit and refuse to be held accountable by anyone. This involves international actions in other countries that no one was okay with, no one signed off on and everyone is probably really mad about apart from captain America who was in full ends justify the means mode.

What an absurd film. :v:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"Get bossed around by the UN?...

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 5, 2016

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the consensus on Hancock as a superhero movie?

It's very good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Teenage Fansub posted:

Actually, yeah, now that you mention it, I definitely had that impression too, especially with the focus which was on that Winter Soldier during the training flashback sequence. Either it's a loose thread or it was just a big fake-out before Zemo revealed his actual motivation.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I actually forget what the end-end credit scene is, which probably means you're right. :v: I do feel like the "scroll" went quicker than end credits scrolls used to, though, so waiting around wasn't a big deal.

Also one thing to mention is that the film is 2 and a half hours, plus with ads etc beforehand pushes the whole thing to about 3 hours. Also, as a complete aside, every time I see the trailer for that Warcraft film, I wonder why there is a Warcraft film.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Also, as a complete aside, every time I see the trailer for that Warcraft film, I wonder why there is a Warcraft film.

It's been in development for so long that when it started out it seemed like a really good idea.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Teenage Fansub posted:

"Get bossed around by the UN?...

I love that around the same time in 616 there was an issue of Cap where he praises the work the French did in the war, and the insurgency that helped free their country from Germany.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

I love that around the same time in 616 there was an issue of Cap where he praises the work the French did in the war, and the insurgency that helped free their country from Germany.

Mark Millar writes good moments but he is not a good writer.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

His Marvel Knights Slider-man run gave Vulture his superior costume at least. But that's more on the art department.

Seriously, the black and red Vulture suit is what the character should have looked like forever. It's like the JMS Thor costume, where you go "Wait, he hasn't ALWAYS looked like this?"

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's fun. What are:

a) the best non-superhero comic book adaptations;

b) the best superhero films not adapted from either Marvel or DC; and

c) the best superhero films not adapted from anything?

a)Dick Tracy :colbert:

b)The Rocketeer

c)Unbreakable Edit: or Robocop. The whole trilogy.

Edit:

Sion posted:

Mark Millar writes good moments but he is not a good writer.

In his defense, he said the intent was more "America doesn't quit!" and less "The french are surrender monkeys!". But yeah, that could've been done better.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 5, 2016

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

irlZaphod posted:

Actually, yeah, now that you mention it, I definitely had that impression too, especially with the focus which was on that Winter Soldier during the training flashback sequence. Either it's a loose thread or it was just a big fake-out before Zemo revealed his actual motivation.

No, it was just Bucky's tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

America isn't ready for a Batman v Superman. Which is true. It is, however, ready for a

NEW THREAD

• Locked thread