Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cancelled in its prime, we will never know the answer to the mysteries:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Or 'Battle Fatigue'.
And back then the cure was Patton coming in and beating you up for being a pussy and to rub some dirt in it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In WW2 they called it "Get up, you pansy".

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
What's there to be traumatized by, we won!

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009

From Season 2 of Agent of SHIELD.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=107399

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That already looks so much better than AoS. I hope they don't gently caress it up.

edit: vvvv flashbacks, whatever. I hope her show is good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 10, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That already looks so much better than AoS. I hope they don't gently caress it up.

That is Agents of Shield.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I feel like somebody confused shield and agent carter when writing that article.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
So I just got done binging through the first season.

I struggled to get through the first 7/8 episodes but it started to really pick up after that. By episodes 19/20 I was genuinely excited for where the show would go - it even made me forget the terrible acting and some of the worst storyline elements!

Then we found out what motivated Ward. Some half-cocked and terrible "motivational" brain washing and in the end we're meant to believe Ward is a good guy because he didn't kill someone elses dog.
Then they made Skye into some loving dimbot who is still mooning over a mass murdering spy.

The final two episodes undid all the great work of the previous 10.

They really should have kept Ward as the 100% evil bad rear end who had totally made fools of the agents the whole time. No regrets, no schmaltzy bullshit possibility of redemption.

Skye was always on a knife edge of tolerance for me but the way they wrote her and that whole "Ward heart attack" scene has completely ruined it :psyduck:

I can see Ward being "redeemed" by foiling some plot and forgiven for his "misdemeanours" which would be a very bad thing to do.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

WastedJoker posted:

in the end we're meant to believe Ward is a good guy because he didn't kill someone elses dog.
Then they made Skye into some loving dimbot who is still mooning over a mass murdering spy.

Ahaha, what? No. How the hell did you even get that? It's quite heavily implied he DID kill the dog (and then he immediately attempts to murder Fitz and Simmons), we're intended to see him as a villain with a somewhat sympathetic backstory at best. Did you forget the part where May's big, awesome hero moment consisted of nailing Ward's foot to the flow, punching him in the throat and knocking him unconscious? And I have no idea where you got the idea that Skye still has a thing for Ward at all, since she really, really doesn't. When she finds out his feelings were real she almost vomits.

I agree that a redemption arc would be a bad idea but it is in no way guaranteed that that will happen.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Please don't start this dog poo poo again.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, fair point. That derail stunk like actual dog poo poo.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Deadpool posted:

They just talked

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

BreakAtmo posted:

Ahaha, what? No. How the hell did you even get that? It's quite heavily implied he DID kill the dog (and then he immediately attempts to murder Fitz and Simmons), we're intended to see him as a villain with a somewhat sympathetic backstory at best. Did you forget the part where May's big, awesome hero moment consisted of nailing Ward's foot to the flow, punching him in the throat and knocking him unconscious? And I have no idea where you got the idea that Skye still has a thing for Ward at all, since she really, really doesn't. When she finds out his feelings were real she almost vomits.

I agree that a redemption arc would be a bad idea but it is in no way guaranteed that that will happen.

It was my impression that Garrett killed the dog with a sniper rifle after Ward chickened out. I made that assumption because it mirrored how Garret had to step in to deal with Skye after Ward chickened out.

Also, I thought Ward ditching them in the module was his way of not having to kill them. I thought he assumed it would float and didn't know about the way it worked (which Fitz later explained). He let them run free like his dog.

As for Skye mooning, there's a scene where she's gazing with limpid eyes at a photo (or desktop wallpaper) of Ward on her laptop in the motel room. Combine that with her remarkable restraint at not wanting him dead when Deadlok heart zaps him and the way Fitz kept pushing the "It's not his fault" angle and I really got the impression they are leaving an avenue of redemption wide open.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

WastedJoker posted:

It was my impression that Garrett killed the dog with a sniper rifle after Ward chickened out. I made that assumption because it mirrored how Garret had to step in to deal with Skye after Ward chickened out.

Also, I thought Ward ditching them in the module was his way of not having to kill them. I thought he assumed it would float and didn't know about the way it worked (which Fitz later explained). He let them run free like his dog.

As has been said this was the subject of a massive derail, so I'll just say that your interpretation is WIDELY disagreed with. And he absolutely tried to kill Fitz and Simmons - whether or not the pod would float means nothing out in the ocean (were it not for Fury they WOULD have starved to death). You also have to consider that due to them locking themselves in the pod, dropping it was the only means of killing them. He was not able to choose a more lethal method (though he WAS capable of perhaps stalling for them, which he didn't).

quote:

As for Skye mooning, there's a scene where she's gazing with limpid eyes at a photo (or desktop wallpaper) of Ward on her laptop in the motel room. Combine that with her remarkable restraint at not wanting him dead when Deadlok heart zaps him and the way Fitz kept pushing the "It's not his fault" angle and I really got the impression they are leaving an avenue of redemption wide open.

I hope not. But Skye has always been generally soft - her not wanting the death of Ward on her hands doesn't even remotely qualify as proof that she still loves him. It's a complicated situation - she loved Ward and now essentially has to 'grieve for him', as the 'Ward' she thought she knew never even existed. And as for Fitz, he was shown to be taking Ward's betrayal even harder to the point of denial. I'm not sure his stuff about how everything Ward's done isn't his fault is supposed to be taken at face value, but rather as a show of him refusing to accept the truth. Not to mention that when we leave him he seems to have likely suffered brain damage at Ward's hands - I'm betting his opinions on Ward will have changed come S2.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
My takeaway from all of that was more that Ward was absolutely an unrepentant monster who just thought that wasn't something that Skye should hold against him, and Skye and Fitz were basically decent human beings that respectively weren't capable of coldheartedly watching even a hated enemy get murdered, and automatically assumes the best about people they considered friends when confronted with the idea that they really weren't.

It's not a setup for redemption, it's using the situation to showcase the positive traits of two protagonists.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 11, 2014

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Getting out of an abusive relationship (or simply out of a relationship with someone who turns out to have been a complete fraud) really messes with your head quite a bit; there's a lot of shame and "I thought I was too smart for that" going on. Skye basically got catfished and this would be a really good acting prompt for anyone that wasn't a Whedon female lead. I think he and whoever cast Anna Torv in Fringe must have a mannequin fetish.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The cool thing is, if they don't redeem Ward, it could actually be an opportunity to explore the supervillain side of the MCU, something that would be genuinely new.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The Red Queen posted:

I think he and whoever cast Anna Torv in Fringe must have a mannequin fetish.
Fightin' words right there, buddy.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

BreakAtmo posted:

As has been said this was the subject of a massive derail, so I'll just say that your interpretation is WIDELY disagreed with. And he absolutely tried to kill Fitz and Simmons - whether or not the pod would float means nothing out in the ocean (were it not for Fury they WOULD have starved to death). You also have to consider that due to them locking themselves in the pod, dropping it was the only means of killing them. He was not able to choose a more lethal method (though he WAS capable of perhaps stalling for them, which he didn't).

I hope not. But Skye has always been generally soft - her not wanting the death of Ward on her hands doesn't even remotely qualify as proof that she still loves him. It's a complicated situation - she loved Ward and now essentially has to 'grieve for him', as the 'Ward' she thought she knew never even existed. And as for Fitz, he was shown to be taking Ward's betrayal even harder to the point of denial. I'm not sure his stuff about how everything Ward's done isn't his fault is supposed to be taken at face value, but rather as a show of him refusing to accept the truth. Not to mention that when we leave him he seems to have likely suffered brain damage at Ward's hands - I'm betting his opinions on Ward will have changed come S2.

ok, I guess I should take another look at those 2 episodes then!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I can't wait for this. What are the odds it's not a flashback but instead some stupid timetravel shenanigans?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Zero, because they already said it's a flashback.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

That was Ward holding the rifle.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just found out who the bad guy is for the season premiere :swoon:

Crusher Creel!

New OP up later today!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
When *is* the premiere?

Adbot