Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win?
This poll is closed.
Vishy Anand 3 2.26%
Magnus Carlsen 30 22.56%
Kirsan Ilyumzhinov 100 75.19%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Grimble posted:

It's mental. How do you win 6 in 6 in a tournament like this?

Not sure but apparently part of the recipe includes beating up on Topalov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Grimble posted:

It's mental. How do you win 6 in 6 in a tournament like this?

First, you win one game. Then you repeat until the desired result is achieved.

(If only it were that simple.)

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011
It's looking like 7/7 now. Insane.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Svidler is awesome

quote:

Caruana seems to have progressed from CMG to KCMG, and is now touching the GCMG heights.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Well, this is quite the performance. Fabiano story time!

When I was working for the USCF in 2004, I worked a national scholastic tournament where Caruana (then a very promising junior, but nobody knew he'd be world class) was playing. A company was also demoing the computer game Majestic Chess, sort of a "learn to play" program wrapped into an adventure game where you had to solve a lot of puzzles and beat AI opponents along the way. Some kids were trying it out and were stuck on a tricky puzzle when Caruana came up and told them the answer after a second or two. He was tiny, though, so the other kids didn't listen to him. Me and another adult were like "uh, you might want to pay attention to this guy." After he left, they finally tried his move (which was correct, of course) a couple minutes later. I wonder if any of them still play chess, and if any of them ever figured out who that little kid was!

OrangeKing fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 4, 2014

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

With a draw tomorrow, Caruana will pass Aronian's 2835.5 for the third spot on the all-time best recorded rating list.

e:

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 4, 2014

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
He won again?! Holy poo poo.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Caruana was way better in today's game, too, but went wrong and will have to settle for a draw. The dream is dead!

In other news, ChessBomb.com would be a great place for watching games if not for the chat. An analysis of the contents of the chat rooms there:

42%: People declaring moves as blunders based on computer evals
27%: People declaring a winner (or a draw) in lively positions based on computer evals
16%: People declaring that their favorite player will win (includes spamming 1-0 or 0-1)
15%: People declaring that their least-favorite player is a terrible patzer that they could beat

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

OrangeKing posted:

Caruana was way better in today's game, too, but went wrong and will have to settle for a draw. The dream is dead!

In other news, ChessBomb.com would be a great place for watching games if not for the chat. An analysis of the contents of the chat rooms there:

27%: People declaring a winner (or a draw) in lively positions based on computer evals
16%: People declaring that their favorite player will win (includes spamming 1-0 or 0-1)
15%: People declaring that their least-favorite player is a terrible patzer that they could beat

Sounds just like the ICC.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

OrangeKing posted:

0-0 is a bit of a turdy move, but it's hard to resist the 'safer' route when a draw clinches clear first.

Also I want to go over Nakamura-Topalov closely. Getting thrashed by Topalov in a Berlin has to hurt the ego.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

OrangeKing posted:

Sounds like online chat on every streaming service on the internet once the number viewers passes, like, 100.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh hey, millionaire chess is still a thing - in Playboy!

"Although only about eight percent of the projected 1,500 competitors had entered by Mid-July"

Um...

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

V for Vegas posted:

Oh hey, millionaire chess is still a thing - in Playboy!

"Although only about eight percent of the projected 1,500 competitors had entered by Mid-July"

Um...

They are doing quite a bit better than that now, and are up over 500 players. Even that surprises me considering that:

* The $1,000 entry was only available until the end of July. It is now $1,500, and will be $2,000 on site. And to that your travel and accommodation expenses, and...
* Even if you entered at the $1,000 level, only six players will make a profit in most sections. The Open section is a bit better about this, but there are a lot of $1,000 and $600 prizes that basically serve as partial refunds in every section.

But as we talked about a while back, there's something to be said for doing this as a one-time chess vacation where you're also spending time in Vegas.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

So while we all were recovering in the aftermath of Caruana's +7 in St Louis, Vishy Anand went ahead and won the slightly smaller Bilbao Masters with a +2, edging the very busy Lev Aronian by having more wins. While it's cool that he won a tournament, outside of his first win he didn't really seem to be playing particularly impressive chess, and certainly not a style that would get him by Carlsen.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Another tournament, more of the same.

e: Holy crap, that's a beating.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 2, 2014

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone been following the Baku Grand Prix?

Caruana and Gelfand are back in the lead after round 10, both having had lost their games in round 9. Caruana's 9th round loss was a pretty interesting match. Grischuk went off book on move 4 and caused Caruana to spend 39 minutes over his fifth move.

Baba Ganoush fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 15, 2014

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Live stream of the finale rapids match of the Millionaire's open between Wesley So and Ray Robson: http://new.livestream.com/accounts/10390538/events/3467799

Robson got an absolute gift from Yu Yangyi to advance to the finale.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Round three of the Tashkent GP goes today and I feel like Caruana at the very least needs a break. He started falling off hard at the end of Baku, and his first two rounds here have been really disappointing.

Also, I am thinking of rebooting the thread for the world championship match, which begins 2 weeks from tomorrow.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

Round three of the Tashkent GP goes today and I feel like Caruana at the very least needs a break. He started falling off hard at the end of Baku, and his first two rounds here have been really disappointing.

Also, I am thinking of rebooting the thread for the world championship match, which begins 2 weeks from tomorrow.

Sounds like a good idea. I had forgotten that it was only two weeks out now - time flies.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Yeah I say do it. I had also forgotten how soon it was, might be others out there in the same boat!

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
How is that new thread coming? There's already a crazy amount of coverage in the norwegian media before it's even started.

I can't wait to watch this guy talk about chess for 10 hours every day, it was great last year.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I'm going to get it posted tonight, after work. Until then, please use this thread to talk about the Petrosian Memorial, inexplicably running against the Carlsen-Anand match.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

I'm going to get it posted tonight, after work. Until then, please use this thread to talk about the Petrosian Memorial, inexplicably running against the Carlsen-Anand match.

Grischuk is looking quite likely to officially pass 2800 (and is already well over on the unofficial live list).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679549

• Locked thread