Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
http://www.contagion-game.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238430/?snr=1_7_15__13

About the Game
Eugene, Marcus, and other Survivors return in the spiritual successor of the popular Half-Life 2 Modification Zombie Panic: Source!
Contagion is a cooperative survival horror FPS built on the latest Source Engine where players are forced to watch their ammo and aim carefully otherwise be overrun by the zombie hordes. Players will face traditional zombies as well as former teammates who have been turned themselves and where friend becomes foe fueling the carnage to come.
Features

Play alone offline or online with a friend(s) and other players.
You begin your story as a survivor but how long until your taste buds hunger for flesh?
Randomly generated weapon, ammo, and item placement.
Unpredictable and intelligent zombie spawning system that adjusts to the players actions.
A pathing and objective system that has you returning to the same map repeatedly with a fresh feel to it.

I am a pretty terrible OP but I noticed there was no love for this awesome game and decided to spread the news because I think we could get a pretty baller goon community going for it by the time it is fully released.

I will be setting up a goon steam group for it later on today and if anybody else wants to help out getting this up and running just let me know.

Seriously, this game rocks and you will love it. But if you don't want to take my word for it then check out some of PauseUnpause's gameplay videos here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Fb4yUBRIE and decide for yourself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Bumped with a shiny new steam group!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/contagioons

Come shoot zombie mans (and each other) with goons!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Source engine has always been easy on my pc, but Even low tech looking games chug if they're recent on my poor laptop.

It's otherwise got good specs for gaming, save for it's video card. AMD Phenom II X3. Think it'd run this without going at 15 FPS?

PROTOSTORM!!!
Oct 24, 2010
I think you need to play up the everyone getting one life angle, but dying lets you be a respawning zombie that is trying to eat the group to bits. How many people are gonna just grab the best poo poo, throw it all over a fence and blow their brains out to start taking the group out? I wanna find out.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD

Drakenel posted:

Source engine has always been easy on my pc, but Even low tech looking games chug if they're recent on my poor laptop.

It's otherwise got good specs for gaming, save for it's video card. AMD Phenom II X3. Think it'd run this without going at 15 FPS?

I'm no expert on PC tech I'm afraid so I couldn't tell you :(

Playing as a zombie is honestly my favorite part of the game. It's hilariously fun creeping up on someone and bringing a few friends with you :getin:

Everything seems to well put together too; the ambient noise, gunshots and especially the attention to detail they have put in to the scenery. I'm kinda saddened that this game has not received all that much love but not all that shocked that people don't want to invest in a pre-release game after gems like The War Z making GBS threads in the pot.

Trust me though, this game is worth the money even in it's current state and will only get better as they fine tune it with community feedback.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I just grabbed this from the Steam sale, since it looked kinda like No More Room in Hell but more polished.

Two things I'm wondering though:

1) Do the co-op modes scale up at all with more players? Because I just tried the Escape mode solo to get a feel for things, and it was pretty piss-easy (got all the way up to the rooftop without ever really feeling challenged) until I goofed up and let myself get cornered with all clips empty. I'm afraid it'll just be a boring cakewalk with more players.

2) Will there be more maps in the future? The selection is stupidly tiny at the moment, and I get that things will be switched around in different playthroughs, but I'm still afraid things will get very repetitive fast if it's just the same old police department over and over.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

I picked up a 4-pack in the Steam winter sale and gave copies to at least two other goons, who then had friends buy it as well... it's pretty darn fun. From what they've said, it seems to include many of the same steps in each instance, but they can happen in a random order so it always has a twist. I've only played escape one time, so I don't have personal experience to justify that claim.

Protip: lock your games with password protection. If you leave them public, pubbies can and will spawn in at the end of your game as a zombie and wreck your poo poo.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, I have no desire to play with random strangers. I got a 4-pack as well and gifted it to a few buddies. We haven't tried it co-op yet though, because christmas and all.

Feel free to poke me on Steam if you wanna play sometime. :)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Zombie Panic! Source was easily the best zombie sourcemod (outside of l4d I guess), and this is just that game with more polish and content. It's fun!

E: Given the current market I feel like I should clarify some stuff since the OP/store page don't do the best job - This game isn't like Day Z or Rust or whatever, it's not an open-world deal. It's much more pick up and play a few rounds, and if the survivors win or everyone dies everyone goes to a new map. The same map can have dynamic placement of objectives and items, so there's plenty of gameplay before you feel like you've seen it all.

Geight fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 25, 2013

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Is it normal for a police station to have a full fledged prison built inside it?

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Put together a couple videos of me and some pals playing Contagion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUYOGTxCpMM

I'll probably upload the second part tomorrow.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
This game is pretty fun but there are some annoying pet peeves that I have.

1) The escape mode is pretty lovely for zombies. I ended up wandering around for 10 minutes without seeing a single survivor. Plus, the way the map is structured means that even if you hear gunshots, you won't be able to find the way towards them.

2) Playing as a zombie in general is pretty dull, and I really hope they change the balance of the game. The reason why I liked the original Zombie Panic and Zombie Panic Source was that zombies won about 85-90 percent of the time.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I haven't been able to play online much, is there still the stronger zombie that can infect people and cause them to turn later? That one really helped out the zombies.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Geight posted:

I haven't been able to play online much, is there still the stronger zombie that can infect people and cause them to turn later? That one really helped out the zombies.

I think any zombie can infect as long as they grab someone with mouse 2.

This game is full of some pretty bad care bears though. People get upset when they die and have to play as a zombie. But the game is boring as hell when there aren't any player zombies or just AI zombies to fight.

swolf
Aug 25, 2004
i need instructions on how to rock
I'm a dev on this game. There is a chance for infection every time a player zombie grapples a player survivor (not sure what the percentage is off the top of my head, but its something like 1 out of 15 guessing from game play). It's something that's definitely up for tweaking though. A lot of gameplay balance issues in general are being worked on as well. We also are working on making the player zombie experience a lot more fun, mostly in the way of giving you an idea of where the action is. In the latest patch it now shows footprints in zombie vision that lead to the active houses in extraction mode. being totally lost as a zombie is definitely not the intended final result for us.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why can't me and my friends get into a game of this? No matter who tries to host it always shits out and won't let anyone connect.

swolf
Aug 25, 2004
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner! Do you have the right ports forwarded when you try to host (I think is 27015 by default)? Right now we don't have that automatic matchmaking stuff set up so if you want to host your own game you have to make sure your port forwarding is correct if you're behind a firewall/router/whatever.
If not, I'm not sure off the top of my head. It should work just like any other source based game. But let me know if you're still having trouble, I'll see what I can do to help.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

swolf posted:

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner! Do you have the right ports forwarded when you try to host (I think is 27015 by default)? Right now we don't have that automatic matchmaking stuff set up so if you want to host your own game you have to make sure your port forwarding is correct if you're behind a firewall/router/whatever.
If not, I'm not sure off the top of my head. It should work just like any other source based game. But let me know if you're still having trouble, I'll see what I can do to help.

A game dev takes the time to answer questions and offer assistance directly to an end user instead of just responding with FAQ or bug tracker link... On top of that, it's outside of their support forums? That's almost unheard of. Good on you, swolf! :hfive:

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
This game owns. Hopped on for most of yesterday to learn the zombie ropes. Hoping the spawn system gets fixed cuz we're tired of getting stuck in an area that relies on player progression to get the door open (loading dock and offices IIRC). It does scale with other players, and its definitely more chaotic, especially since more than one of those players will actively try to gently caress everyone over.

swolf
Aug 25, 2004

TacticalGranny posted:

A game dev takes the time to answer questions and offer assistance directly to an end user instead of just responding with FAQ or bug tracker link... On top of that, it's outside of their support forums? That's almost unheard of. Good on you, swolf! :hfive:

to be fair, I've been (mostly lurking) on the forums for way longer than I've been working on the game. I'm here all the time anyway, so I might as well post something useful!

Also fixing the zombie player spawns so you come back nearer (or at least with a much better idea of where) the action is definitely something we're working on improving. I hate spawning a million miles away from the survivors and having to walk for 5 minutes to find my way back (only to get killed immediately because I am terrible at the game, and then spawning in the same drat place again.)

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
So this game "released" over the weekend. Its been a buggy mess of a headache but I was having a lot of fun up until release, especially with the hunted mode.

e; it looks like there's been a series of hot fixes over the last few days addressing a lot of the big issues since release. Go play it, it's fun.

treat fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 19, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

treat posted:

So this game "released" over the weekend. Its been a buggy mess of a headache but I was having a lot of fun up until release, especially with the hunted mode.

e; it looks like there's been a series of hot fixes over the last few days addressing a lot of the big issues since release. Go play it, it's fun.

I would like it a lot more if the zombie side didn't suck so much to play. It is really frustrating at times. But the survivor side is pretty fun to play.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

blackguy32 posted:

I would like it a lot more if the zombie side didn't suck so much to play. It is really frustrating at times. But the survivor side is pretty fun to play.

It's unfortunate that the maps are so big and difficult to navigate because playing zombie is definitely a huge chore until you learn the maps like the back of your hand. After that, playing zombie can be a lot of fun and has a surprising amount of depth to it. There are the same sneaky survivor ambush aspects from zombie panic but now you can congregate your own hoard to push through and wreck players camping in difficult spots, surround and trap groups or to mask your own identity within the crowd. In the Hunted mode, survivors have cell phones that can "ping" other nearby survivors, causing their phone to vibrate/ring and subsequently give away their location (if you've got decent headphones, that is). Player zombies also now continue to carry their cell phones and can also be pinged, so survivors can figure when a player zombie is near and try to single them out of the crowd. Spotting player behavior in zombies and taking them down is its own little meta game now, as they'll tear you up something fierce if you ignore them or get distracted by any of the other assholes out there with guns.

The competitive mode is well designed insofar that survivors will--more often than not--opt to hide or run from a fire fight to preserve their own life while player zombies just don't give a poo poo a majority of the time. This adds a whole lot to the cat and mouse nature of the game and makes it pretty tense and unpredictable. A friend of mine described it as "all the tense, exciting and fun aspects of DayZ without the vast amount of time wasting bullshit in between," and I couldn't agree more.

I'm surprised this game isn't getting more attention, honestly. I've been a big fan of the Zombie Panic! games since the original goldsrc mod but I definitely think Contagion blows it away in terms of design. The SDK was just released so hopefully Contagion catches on with the flood of garbage fun-map ports that should be all over the place shortly.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

treat posted:

It's unfortunate that the maps are so big and difficult to navigate because playing zombie is definitely a huge chore until you learn the maps like the back of your hand. After that, playing zombie can be a lot of fun and has a surprising amount of depth to it. There are the same sneaky survivor ambush aspects from zombie panic but now you can congregate your own hoard to push through and wreck players camping in difficult spots, surround and trap groups or to mask your own identity within the crowd. In the Hunted mode, survivors have cell phones that can "ping" other nearby survivors, causing their phone to vibrate/ring and subsequently give away their location (if you've got decent headphones, that is). Player zombies also now continue to carry their cell phones and can also be pinged, so survivors can figure when a player zombie is near and try to single them out of the crowd. Spotting player behavior in zombies and taking them down is its own little meta game now, as they'll tear you up something fierce if you ignore them or get distracted by any of the other assholes out there with guns.

The competitive mode is well designed insofar that survivors will--more often than not--opt to hide or run from a fire fight to preserve their own life while player zombies just don't give a poo poo a majority of the time. This adds a whole lot to the cat and mouse nature of the game and makes it pretty tense and unpredictable. A friend of mine described it as "all the tense, exciting and fun aspects of DayZ without the vast amount of time wasting bullshit in between," and I couldn't agree more.

I'm surprised this game isn't getting more attention, honestly. I've been a big fan of the Zombie Panic! games since the original goldsrc mod but I definitely think Contagion blows it away in terms of design. The SDK was just released so hopefully Contagion catches on with the flood of garbage fun-map ports that should be all over the place shortly.

Last time I played, it wasn't really friendly to new players and the gameplay can be clunky at times. I get to the point where if I join a game and I am already a zombie, I just quit out The maps are too confusing to not have any guidance as to where the survivors are.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This was 5 bux a couple of days ago and man am I having a ton of fun. Me and about 6 of my friends bought it and we said gently caress it and got a private server set up for like $6.50.

Escape mode is great but theres only 2 maps so I dont know how much longer before I get bored of it. The multiple and randomized routes and objectives helps a lot with that though.

Hunted mode though, thats the meat and potatoes of this game IMO. Its like Day Z without all the tedium. You get guns immediately, when you did you dont have to wait an hour to find someone again etc.

Its amazing how much of a time sink this is. My friends and I played like 6-8 hours in one sitting both saturday and sunday and we'd look up and be like holy poo poo what time is it!?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
How many servers are there out there for this? I never even knew that the ZPS people had made a retail game, but I used to LOVE Zombie Panic Source.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Bardeh posted:

How many servers are there out there for this?

quite a lot actually

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Basticle posted:

This was 5 bux a couple of days ago and man am I having a ton of fun. Me and about 6 of my friends bought it and we said gently caress it and got a private server set up for like $6.50.

Escape mode is great but theres only 2 maps so I dont know how much longer before I get bored of it. The multiple and randomized routes and objectives helps a lot with that though.

Hunted mode though, thats the meat and potatoes of this game IMO. Its like Day Z without all the tedium. You get guns immediately, when you did you dont have to wait an hour to find someone again etc.

Its amazing how much of a time sink this is. My friends and I played like 6-8 hours in one sitting both saturday and sunday and we'd look up and be like holy poo poo what time is it!?

Seconding that Hunted mod is where the lasting appeal is. Coop is decent, but gets kind of repetitive after a few rounds due to the lack of maps. Randomized paths doesn't help much because it's mostly just getting lost in a different area for 5 minutes until you find the way again and proceed (and once you see all the possible path you can breeze through most of the level pretty fast, but before that...it's just people running in circle and backtracking and wondering how to get to the next objective).

The shooting is also pretty meaty (not as gory as L4D, but you can blow chunks out of a zombie's head, for example)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

pedro0930 posted:

Seconding that Hunted mod is where the lasting appeal is. Coop is decent, but gets kind of repetitive after a few rounds due to the lack of maps. Randomized paths doesn't help much because it's mostly just getting lost in a different area for 5 minutes until you find the way again and proceed (and once you see all the possible path you can breeze through most of the level pretty fast, but before that...it's just people running in circle and backtracking and wondering how to get to the next objective).

The shooting is also pretty meaty (not as gory as L4D, but you can blow chunks out of a zombie's head, for example)

I've only seen it once but I've witnessed a zombie with a 1 foot diameter hole in their chest and they kept coming at me.

Also,

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Tried this out again after a few months. The zombies still have the worst running hand animation where they are trying to swim apparently, the melee attack animations are absolutely afwul which in turn makes the melee aspect of it seem really unresponsive, I suppose theres some netcode issues to that also though. It's the #1 problem I have with this game, the melee. It just feels so awful and the animations are like 3 different frames flashing by the screen.

It has some other problems that can be summed by saying that this seems like a game from early 2000's. Which is a shame because Zombie Panic Source was a lotta fun. But thats because it had the goofy furniture battle/defense aspect to it (+crazy user made maps) which is nowhere to be found in Contagion.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

If you're not using charged up right click to brain them with your melee weapon, you're doing it wrong anyway.

Also the map SDK has only been out for about 6 weeks now so theres only one good custom map so far http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=258388790&searchtext=creek

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Hunted is the best gamemode. Last man standing but with zombies!!

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Basticle posted:

If you're not using charged up right click to brain them with your melee weapon, you're doing it wrong anyway.

Also the map SDK has only been out for about 6 weeks now so theres only one good custom map so far http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=258388790&searchtext=creek

I'm pretty sure that map is made by one of the developers anyways

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

superstepa posted:

I'm pretty sure that map is made by one of the developers anyways

I did not realize that but does it matter?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I've now played CH Rotten Swamps which my friends and its pretty fun. Legit the first user made map that dosent look like its a half assed Gold Source mapping exercise.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

This just got updated with the very impressive looking Biotec map, and an improved melee system.

changelog.txt posted:

- Added new map Biotec (Escape & Hunted Game-Modes)
- Added new map by popularity from Workshop Stone Creek (Escape Game-Mode)
- Added gasmask objective item that prevents harmful chemicals from affecting player
- Added gasmask voice muffling for survivors
- Added Keycard objective item for unlocking security doors
- Added keycard entity system for mappers
- Updated Melee System (WIP for balance)
- Added Zombie Decapitation with bladed weapons (Kabar not included)
- Kill Cam with the above mentioned bladed weapons also decapitate zombies when using stealth kill
- Fixed weapon holstering issues
- Improved navigation mesh for all existing maps
- Changes to networking system in an attempt to fix LAN related issues
- Fixed exploits, issues, and bugs on all maps from bug reports by the community (Thank you!)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

hell yea

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I never played ZPS so Biotec is completely new to me, and loving huge. Hunted is....interesting. Its by far the most vertical map in the game, with half a dozen levels above each other. The lovely way that sound works in Source, you can often hear other players that are on the other side of like 8 layers of concrete but are a short distance away. Likewise when playing as a zombie, just forget about controlling a horde since calling one up gains you control of zombies on every single floor and the pathfinding is atrocious.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Basticle posted:

I never played ZPS so Biotec is completely new to me, and loving huge. Hunted is....interesting. Its by far the most vertical map in the game, with half a dozen levels above each other. The lovely way that sound works in Source, you can often hear other players that are on the other side of like 8 layers of concrete but are a short distance away. Likewise when playing as a zombie, just forget about controlling a horde since calling one up gains you control of zombies on every single floor and the pathfinding is atrocious.

Contagion actually uses a different sound system called Wwise, and it doesn't seem to be set up to handle attenuation from walls at all (might just not have been implemented). I think the normal Source audio system actually handles it better.

I've been working on a Hunted map with tons of densely stacked floors, and those issues can really get annoying. especially when someone is shooting and you can't tell which floor it's coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Free weekend & 75% off right now!

• Locked thread