Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
This is, absolutely, a satisfying end to the thread. Good luck, KG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey again guys! Thanks for the nice thoughts. Just posting a little update before I scurry back into my comfortable hole: I've secured a side-gig web dev contract with a company my brother-in-law works for. Its value in total is $45,000 in gross income.

I've already eaten through $544 in startup expenses (LLC and business license registration, an NV registered agent, and two domain names). My grandma may recompense me on the LLC registration fee, but I'm not sure if I want her to because of the total payout. I negotiated 7% of the total contract in payment to start, so that will be $3150 to pay myself back the expenses.

I'm hoping to expand the side-gig further if the total experience of this contract is positive.

As far as what I plan to do with the money: I want to make it work for us. Whether that's debt payoff for a net increase in monthly expendable income, investing a small part of it back into the business, or [other]. Likely all of the above, but I intend on sitting on it for awhile to make a very thoughtful decision with it. I'll be keeping all of it less the expenses that come out of my pocket (detailed above) in the business checking account I'll be opening on Wednesday.

I'm open to suggestions on other ways to make the money work for us. I'm extremely skeptical of buying a home at this point in my life, just to throw it out there. I truly want to make the money work for us, and getting in a bunch of debt with it doesn't seem like the right way to approach the situation at the moment.

Other than that everything is roughly the same as the previous update. We'll be continuing with that system.

e: need to do some research on something.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 31, 2017

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Man, I just hope you're not getting scammed. Personally I avoid doing business with family, just because I've been burned one too many times. YMMV, but family tends to take advantage because family.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Just don't spend any of it until you get paid. Make sure you are setting aside a sufficient amount to cover taxes - make sure you don't have to pay estimated quarterly taxes on this sort of stuff. I do think that you should set aside some of the money you make for 'fun' because you will be working for it. Here is an easy way to decide you're ready to buy a house, do you have 20% down?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Hey again guys! Thanks for the nice thoughts. Just posting a little update before I scurry back into my comfortable hole: I've secured a side-gig web dev contract with a company my brother-in-law works for. Its value in total is $45,000 in gross income.

I also agreed with my brother-in-law that I'll pay him a 10%/$4,500 commission for getting me in the door with the right people at his company.

Does his company know that this is going on? He's getting kickbacks for driving business your way.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

BloodBag posted:

Man, I just hope you're not getting scammed. Personally I avoid doing business with family, just because I've been burned one too many times. YMMV, but family tends to take advantage because family.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so in this case. I don't see what the con is unless it was to have me eat startup costs for some reason.

n8r posted:

Just don't spend any of it until you get paid. Make sure you are setting aside a sufficient amount to cover taxes - make sure you don't have to pay estimated quarterly taxes on this sort of stuff. I do think that you should set aside some of the money you make for 'fun' because you will be working for it. Here is an easy way to decide you're ready to buy a house, do you have 20% down?

OK, thanks. Yeah I would have held off on even the startup costs, but I wanted the contract to be with my company rather than myself for liability purposes. I'll hold money for taxes, and really all of the money in the bank for awhile after the final payment just to make sure I have my bases covered. I do intend on seeing a CPA also.

Fun stuff yeah maybe if I'm feeling burnout which I expect to.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 31, 2017

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Looks like you edited your post - so I'll edit mine.

All I have to say on it is this: If his boss found out about your arrangement, do you think your BIL would be in deep poo poo? If so, don't do it.

n8r fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 31, 2017

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Everything is on the up and up guys. Thanks.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 31, 2017

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

All I have to say on it is this: If his boss found out about your arrangement, do you think your BIL would be in deep poo poo? If so, don't do it.

Well what I'll do is contact my business lawyer and then just take his advice to be safe (and I have some other stuff I want to ask before sending the contract). I think it's prudent to not say anything more until talking to my lawyer though, just to be cautious, as things can be misconstrued and turn into a headache. I'm 99.99% sure that everything is kosher, but hey that .01% should be covered too. I haven't signed or even drafted the contract or anything, so I'll hold off on that until confirming :).

Thank you guys. Talk to you again later.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 31, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'd say that buying a house is probably never a good idea for you as you are quite a changeable person. What if you suddenly decide to move to California, or even to the next town for a job? What if you decide the house is just not right for you because it is too small/a horrible commute? Keep the flexibility of renting and put any extra in an account you can't easily get at. Make the money work for you by building up a nest egg.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Lurkin' KG's recent post history - looks like he bought a $900 office chair and also probably bought a ~$1k+ Gaming laptop for 'dev' (mmmhmm sure).

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

n8r posted:

Lurkin' KG's recent post history - looks like he bought a $900 office chair and also probably bought a ~$1k+ Gaming laptop for 'dev' (mmmhmm sure).

As much as I like watching 'man gets hit in groin by football' or the financial equivalent therof, this is kind of weird and you should probably think about better things to do with your time.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Thread was at the bottom of my bookmarks, clicked on it, clicked on KG's post history to see if he was still posting, saw posts about buying stuff within the last few months. Didn't take much time, promise.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The chair is the most important part of any computer and it's totally reasonable to spend 1k on a nice one - getting even one more month out of your back/wrists/etc is easily worth it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The furniture golden rule: If it's going to provide support to your fat rear end, don't cheap out on it. That goes double if you're sleeping on it or sitting on it a lot.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Standing desk + stool solved my back issues related to sitting around all day. You can easily spend just as much on that setup as you can a nice chair.

I have one of those sit on top of your regular desk conversion things. It works pretty well. The trick I found was to use that padded material cashiers use when standing all day.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

If your job and leisure activity both share a common tool that can make a huge difference in how you physically feel at the end of a day, I am not at all above spending the extra cash on it.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
My Aeron at work was free, but I did buy my Aeron at home myself.

twelve years ago, and it's some of the best money I've ever spent.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hope you guys are doing well.

I actually took back the chair after I got it. I wasn't $1,200 happy with it. Currently using my broken chair until I find something that is worth it. I'll probably pull the trigger again next time my back seizes up, but that hasn't happened in awhile.

Got a 5% raise making $65,000 now. Not amazing for the field but it's something. Got permission to work remotely anywhere I want, so a move may be in the future. Rent in Reno is getting absolutely insane ($1,100 one bedroom apartments, which is what we pay for a SFH on a 1/3rd acre in a desirable area), but somehow without a lease our landlord has not raised the rent on us.

Contract is going well, I made $400/hr on an emergency fix the other day (totaling $1,200), and I'm sitting on the money I've made so far for something unknown, but probably a house down payment eventually. Not in any hurry. There's about $30,000 left on the contract.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 26, 2017

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Go standing desk with a stool. Lots of stuff out there to convert an existing desk. Get a pad to stand on problem solved.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

Go standing desk with a stool. Lots of stuff out there to convert an existing desk. Get a pad to stand on problem solved.

I'm very interested in these. Right now though I'm content with what's going on since I can move between a standard desk, the couch, and a little patio outside to minimize the same type of compression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Spending all that much time sitting is no good health wise (at least the lamestream media says this).

We have an ergotron home lift 35 and we also have an ergodesktop kangaroo. The ergotron looks a little better, but the kangaroo is easier to setup the proper hand / monitor height easily. You can also hack one together with Ikea stuff - there are all sorts of builds out there. Make sure you look up how to properly set keyboard and monitor height. I think that using a stool is better because it will keep you from just leaving the setup in the sitting position.

• Locked thread